What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranty question:  what's fair?  (Read 4156 times)

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Warranty question:  what's fair?
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:34:21 pm »
Okay, here's what happened.  I was in my tub the other night and noticed a gurgling sound and some air bubbles coming out of one of the ten or so non-closable jets.  I thought it was an air lock of sorts and the water was working its way around it.  Being the curious one, I put my finger over the offending jet and the noise went away.  When I took my finger off, it ran again, gurgling and all.  I didn't think anything of it until I got out of the tub and heard water running from under the tub.  So I opened the control panel door and realized water was coming out from the ozonator.  It seems the ozonator had blown out, as in the ozonator itself had broken around one of the mounting screw holes and water was leading from it.

The next day, I gave my dealer a call and told him the story.  He laughed and said not to worry about it, that it'd be covered under warranty.  Only he stopped selling my brand of tub a few months after buying mine; seems he got into a spat with the rep and is now selling another line of tubs.  Warranty work is handled by an independent repair guy who works closely with my dealer on of the dealer's repairs.  He is the same person who would have handled the work had my dealer kept the line.  I haven't spoken to the repair guy yet but my dealer tells me he said the repair won't be covered under warranty.  

I've been upfront and honest with everyone regarding what happened and how it happened and that it was ignorance on my part that caused it.  What I want to know is this:  do you think should be covered under warranty?  I'm looking for fair here.  If it's reasonable for me to have known the possible consequences of plugging a gurgling jet, then it shouldn't be covered.  But should the whole ozonator have broken?  Should the check valve have prevented the ozonator from blowing out?  Or should there have been a second line from the ozonator to the tub that would have forced the pressure into that line instead of back to the ozonator?

Jim

Hot Tub Forum

Warranty question:  what's fair?
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:34:21 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Warranty question:  what's fair?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 03:53:04 pm »
 Most warrantees on ozonators are only 1 year so if its under a year it should be covered,if over a year and its up to the dealer,   All in all its an easy fix if your handy and dont want to deal with them its all up to you.

The ozonator may dry up and still work then its a matter of replacing the check valve.  What kind of spa is it??

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:23:41 pm »
I belive Jim has a 2006 Hydro pool 638.
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:51:41 pm »
There should be check valve on the line, if it was a manufactured installed ozone I would think they would cover it if still within the warranty time frame. If the dealer installed it, it will be up to him to cover it.

Check with the manufacturer to see if they are the ones that installed it, do not assume because it came with one they did.

If you do have a Hydro Pool good luck.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:20:55 pm »
Drewstar is right, I have a Hydropool 638.  It was purchased in February of this year.  I'll take it up with the repair guy and get more of why he doesn't want to cover it.  Maybe we can work out a compromise where they pay for the service call and me the ozonator or the other way around.  

Should anyone else care to offer an opinion, especially dealers and how they handle this, I'd most appreciate it.

Jim

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 01:04:41 pm »
Drewstar is right, I have a Hydropool 638.  It was purchased in February of this year.  I'll take it up with the repair guy and get more of why he doesn't want to cover it.  Maybe we can work out a compromise where they pay for the service call and me the ozonator or the other way around.  

Should anyone else care to offer an opinion, especially dealers and how they handle this, I'd most appreciate it.

Jim

It should be covered 100% Jim. I still have contacts at Hydropool and I can help you out if you need it. I worked there for 3 years and the company was quite good at looking after their customers. I'm not clear on why the dealer first said it would be covered and then changed their stance? Let me know if I can help...

Steve

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 03:59:46 pm »

If it's reasonable for me to have known the possible consequences of plugging a gurgling jet, then it shouldn't be covered.

Realizing I'm a novice (actually less than that) at this. Is that what caused it to break? Or, was it broken before you plugged it? I can't see how that would cause an ozonator to break off!?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:53 pm »
A properly functioning check valve would prevent this. Is there ANY of us who haven't held our hand over a jet?  Come on... ::) That wouldn't void a warranty and if that's what is in question here, I'll provide Dave Jackson's phone number who is the President of Hydropool, for Jim.

Steve

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:13:32 pm »
 I dont know much about those spas,I really doubt you plugging the jet/warm water return caused the problem. Albeit anything and everything is possible in a spa ::)

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 01:59:18 am »
I can't imagine it not being a warranty issue.  I'm sure Hydropool will cover it.  I really can't fathom blocking a jet causing the ozonator to break.  Besides, doesn't the ozone come out of its own dedicated return?  Just seems strange to me, but then, I don't know much about Hydropool spas.

Sounds like Steve is going to help you out if needed, but my guess is they'll take care of you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:00:12 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 03:49:55 pm »
Well, I left a voicemail for the repair guy but he hasn't called me back yet.  I expect we'll talk on Tuesday.  

Steve, thanks very much for your support and offer of help.  I truly hope I won't need it. As for why the dealer said it'd be covered then he changed his story, my guess is that spoke off the top of his head the first time.  Now that he no longer has the line, the repair guy makes the decisions regarding warranty work.  This puts me at a bit of a disadvantage as I can't count on dealer-to-manufacturer support.

Vanguard, apparently, there is only one line from the ozonator to the tub.  My take on it is that if plugging that jet causes the ozonator to blow out every time, then that's a design flaw.  A second line into the tub would be in order or else putting in a better check valve, one that would prevent what I did from happening in the first place.

Anyway, I'll post back once I hear back from the repair guy.

Thanks for your help and support and do enjoy your holidays!

Jim

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 06:46:35 pm »
this is the first time that i heart such thing.

It should be covered under warranty do to the fact that it is a new tub not even a year old. I would not accept anything less from a dealer.

Everybody is playing around with the jets sticking fingers in.( at least me and my kids)

this should not damage you tub.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 03:11:50 pm »
Well, the ultimate resolve is that Hydropool covered the ozonator but not the service call.  I'm happy with that as I had the service guy hook up the rope light on the outside of the tub for me at the same time.  Which, by the way, turned out like a million bucks.  I can now easily see to get into and out of the tub in spite of the nighttime darkness on the deck.  Plus it's controlled by the switch that controls the light inside the tub so controlling it is a piece of cake.

Thanks to all for your input.

Jim

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 03:51:38 pm »
Jim:

Resist temptation and keep your finger out of that hole!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 03:51:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42