What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Electricity Bill!!!!!!!!  (Read 15686 times)

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
My Electricity Bill!!!!!!!!
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:28 pm »
I just received my first full electrical bill since getting my Arctic spa.  Now take into account that I live in Edmonton Alberta, and November was unusually cold.  My number of kWh more than doubled from last year. :o  My bill was $200.00!!!!!
A normal bill is usually around $85.00 per month.  It looks like I will be pulling the plug on my beer fridge in the basement. :-[

Has anyone else noticed such a dramatic change to their electricity bill???? :'(

Hot Tub Forum

My Electricity Bill!!!!!!!!
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:28 pm »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: My Electricity Bill!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:53 pm »
First question would be how often do you use your tub, for how long, and with how many pumps running?

My bill went up $50 for my first month of ownership compared to the same period last year.  That's with a Sundance Optima used once a day (twice a day on the weekends) for 20 minutes at a pop.  Temp is set to a constant 102...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:57 pm »
I just received my first full electrical bill since getting my Arctic spa.

Has anyone else noticed such a dramatic change to their electricity bill???? :'(

Only with Arctic Spas  ;D   OK, seriously, that sounds crazy that it could jump that much.  I think my bill went up about $20 in November from last year, but it hasn't been as cold as it should here in Michigan.  How long are you soaking in the tub and how often?  Is the cover nice and tight?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:49:49 pm »
I knew some people would get a kick out of the fact that it is an Arctic Spa.  :-?

I use my tub once a day for about 30 min.  The lid is tight and I have only one pump.
We had probably a two week span when the temperature here was below zero. I am still not sure if the below zero temps could make that much difference.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:04:53 pm »
Does your beer fridge heat your beer? :D

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:10:36 pm »
did you buy any new appliances you didnt have b4???

In Edmonton you should a bought a Beachcomber  ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:14:41 pm »
Did the cost of KWH increase as well?

I know that my combined gas & electric bill here in NJ was about $270 which is about $70 more than it was last year. Looking at BTUs used and KWHs used,they're almost identical but the cost has gone up tremendously.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:57:57 pm »
I was the queen of outrageous electric bills...and it is a really long story...I will try to find that old thread.

From months of research..I found that there are several things that contribute to the initial bump in that electric bill...Among them:
the first fill ...you will be heating the tub from about 45 degrees to 101 or so...the increased use of your washer and dryer due to the tons of wet towels..

to make a really long story short..my electric bills were more than double and they continued like that for months. Finally after months of monitoring  Kwh.usage for virtually everything in my house..and reaching the point of total frustration...I was filling my tub after a cleaning and I had no water pressure. Then I had NO water at all..It turns out that my well pump had a hole in the pipe in the well and the pump was just pumping continuously. I guess it was leaking for a while, but the 500 gallons of water to fill the tub just blew the hole big enough that the pump ran and ran and ran.$$$$$$$ :o :o...I even had my electric company do an audit...that was a total joke, but anyway that was how upset I was with my mega electric bills.
Once I got a new pump, my bill dropped almost $100.00 a month!

I guess the point here is...be sure there isn't something else that either happened at the time you got your tub...or is related to your tub use.  

On the bright side, I now have a very energy efficient house...all flourescent bulbs...
Good luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:05:49 pm »
In Edmonton you should a bought a Beachcomber  ;)

hehehehe.

Your bill should not have gone up thet much even with an Arctic, seriously though is it 110 or 240 volts?

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:09:46 pm »
I thought the same thing when I first got my spa.  I did all kinds of analysis comparing the change from the prior year for the 6 moinths before the tub vs the six months after I got the tub. My dealer worked with me and installed a meter directly on the box for the tub. I tracked usage and power consumption pretty close.  After 20 days, I used an average of 7.3 kWh a day (about 219 kWh for a month) which cost me under $20 at the prevailing rates. I used the tub 3 - 4 times a week and a 35 minute soak used about 6 kWh with both pumps running.  This was in the March timeframe so the temps weren't out of sight cold, but it wasn't summer either...

So... all in all it turned out to be more efficient that I would have thought and wasn't the cause of the usage increase that I saw in my bill....  But then again I do own a HotSpring!!!   ;)  (Sorry, I had to throw that in!  ;D)

(I still haven't accounted for what the real cuprit was...)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 07:19:13 pm »
Even when I sold spas here in Edmonton for Beachcomber, we would get the odd person come in once a year telling us how much the spa has increased their bill. I think I've heard it from almost all manufacturers and it ALWAYS comes down to a culmination of the spa and OTHER FACTORS not considered.

Even though the average quality spa will operate close to a dollar a day here in Edmonton, the initial fill may cause a slightly higher number due to the fact of heating the vessel of 1000+ litres of water. I could see a monthly cost of $40 or $50 higher that first month so you just need to find the difference as I guarantee you, it isn't the spa. Even if it IS an Arctic! ;) ( a very good quality spa)

*Good to see another Edmontonian 'round here!

Steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:20:08 pm by Steve »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:08:30 pm »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 01:55:27 am »
I think that there are so many variables that this information is not going to be all that helpful, but I have an Arctic with 3 pumps, keep it at 103 F (but live in temperate CA) and I have seen about a $20-40 difference in my bill that I attribute to the tub. There are only two of us in the house with fairly similar habits this year as last. It is so hard to know exactly how much the tub contributes to my KwH usage, but that is my estimation. We also have seen a bit of an increase in cost per KwH here, too which makes it seem like the bill just skyrockets.
Dance like nobody's watching

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 04:53:16 am »
It may cost a hundred or so dollars but the only real way to know how much your tub draws in hydro is to meter the tub. But if your going to meter you should do it from now until June so you get a better average.
Retired

nicker

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 09:36:49 am »
Ya there is a problem there!  But the tub doesn't cost that much to run  NO way .  UNLESS somthing is defective and drawing more then it should or you are using a 110 and not 220.   I would say my tub costs AT MOST an extra $20 to $25 per month  and that is only in the COLD months and that is using once per day for a 1/2 hour.

I would say any good quality tub would be the same.    Even with a fresh fill I don't notice the hydro cost being more even during the winter when the water is at 50.  

Seriously look at your hookup for your tub OR perhaps there is somthing else drawing all that power.  Beer fridge, doubt it unless its ONE HELL OF A HUGE beer fridge.  Or older the the hills.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 09:36:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42