What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gurgle is killing me.  (Read 16772 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
Re: Gurgle is killing me.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »
I also have a HS Vanguard 5 month old tub with the same gurgling problem as everyone else. I'm yet to contact my dealer. It seems this is some kind of design problem. It usually only happens after the tub is refilled with water and some times goes away gradually over a period of a few weeks.

That device from KZO Technologies sounds like a possiblilty...but first I'll contact my dealer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 11:23:34 pm »
I have a 5 month old Vanguard as well.  Haven't noticed the gurgling yet, but then again I've only changed the water once.  What I have noticed is a noisy diverter valve.  The tech that came out replaced it, but it didn't really change.  He said that it was a poor design and that they "see the problem" a lot.  He mentioned that it was basically air gettingin the valve and he suggested I call watkins to complain.  Anyone else notice a noisy valve on their HS?  

Brookenstein

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 12:17:55 am »
I've had my Envoy for just over 2 months.  I had no 'gurgling' until this first water change.  Mine isn't that loud, it doesn't bother me... I just noticed it was different than before.  I switched out the filter today as well as shutting the power off and turning it back on... no difference.

My diverter thingies also make noise, mostly the one closest to the lounger body, but that too doesn't bother me.  I've been told my spa is louder than most because it is on a portable pad rather than concrete.  

As long as the various noise issues don't indicate a problem, I'm not concerned as I love my tub.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 10:14:59 am »
I have never seen the gurgling occur personally but it is evidently something that needs to be addressed.  I spoke with a technician at Watkins and was told that you should contact your dealer and request an air adjustment valve part # 73808.  This will control the amount of air introduced into the ozonator.

Terminator  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:15:33 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

dustoff872

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 05:37:03 pm »
I have never seen the gurgling occur personally but it is evidently something that needs to be addressed.  I spoke with a technician at Watkins and was told that you should contact your dealer and request an air adjustment valve part # 73808.  This will control the amount of air introduced into the ozonator.

Terminator  

Thanks Term,
I made it back in town.  Prior to me leaving for a couple of days I fooled around with ozone system.  I broke out the instructions and cleaned with vinegar.  When you take the hose off of the generator the gurgle gets even louder.  Put the hose back on and it quiets down a little.  The vinegar cleaning didn't fix the problem so I wil check with the dealer on that part.  I haven't heard back from them in a week on this issue.

I'll keep you posted and hope I get this fixed.
"Some tubs make that noise" just isn't a good excuse for what I paid.  I like the dealer so I'm going to give him a chance before I get Watkins involved.

Dustoff

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 06:24:29 pm »
 When you take the hose off of the generator the gurgle gets even louder.  Put the hose back on and it quiets down a little.  

If taking the hose off resulted in less restriction and more noise afollowed by you putting the hose back on and getting noise abatement a bit I do believe putting a metering restrictor on the inlet to the ozonator will allow you to ever so slightly reduce the flow to the ozonator and making it quieter. You'll always hear something if you listen close enough but it sounds like in your case you don't have to concentrate too hard to hear it and it just needs a little adjusting.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

dustoff872

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 09:43:48 pm »
You'll always hear something if you listen close enough but it sounds like in your case you don't have to concentrate too hard to hear it and it just needs a little adjusting.

Yes I agree you will hear something.  I do recall that I could stand next to the tub and hear the silent flow pump and it was quiet.  Behind that sound, way in the backgound was the faint sound of that "fizz" from the ozone.  To be honest, the only way to verify the silent flow pump is running is to put your hand on it cause the "gurgling" is drowning out any sound it makes.

Watkins should start putting that air restrictor stock on all tubs if that is the fix.

Now that I think about it, who pays for the part and labor?

Dustoff

J._McD

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 09:46:30 pm »

If taking the hose off resulted in less restriction and more noise afollowed by you putting the hose back on and getting noise abatement a bit I do believe putting a metering restrictor on the inlet to the ozonator will allow you to ever so slightly reduce the flow to the ozonator and making it quieter. You'll always hear something if you listen close enough but it sounds like in your case you don't have to concentrate too hard to hear it and it just needs a little adjusting.

But then, if we reduce the air flow, don't we reduce the ozone that is being injected?

dustoff872

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Updated Re: Gurgle is killing me.
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 08:33:56 pm »
Hi All,
Wow it has been 3 months!
I sent the valve # thanks to Term.  to my tech and he ordered it.  I'm a little drive from the store so I was put on the back burner till others in the area joined the list.

The tech installed the valve last week and all is fine.  The valve is a brass shutoff on the "intake" side of the ozonator.  I pulled the cover to check out his work and it reminded me of the valve system with most home aquarium pumps.

All in all I'm now content.  The bubbles are "small" and "quiet" just like they were when the tub was brand new 12 months ago.  I don't think any ozone is being restricted only the amount of air intake is.

I hope this update helps any future or current HS owners.  Now on to the next problem my auxillary control panel does not operate the pumps anymore.  I'll call the tech in the next few days.

Sincere thanks for all help.
Dustoff

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 12:13:22 am »
I was a Beta tester for that system. Looked a little low-tech, but worked like a charm.

Something else that works is to put TWO check valves in line.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 09:17:26 pm »
look at the pipe/tube infront of the circ. pump suction. Do you see air here?
If you do, the ozone unit is NOT the problem.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Reese

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:51 pm »
Bump for MLG. :)

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 09:33:51 pm »
Bump for MLG. :)
Thanks Reese!!! This was quite an interesting thread, and definately sounds (pun intended) like my problem. I wonder if I could put on that valve.....  [smiley=undecided.gif]

Reese

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 09:55:08 pm »
Thanks Reese!!! This was quite an interesting thread, and definately sounds (pun intended) like my problem. I wonder if I could put on that valve.....  [smiley=undecided.gif]
You are welcome. :)  I can't imagine that the valve would be hard to install, and one of our fine HS folks (Chas?) may be able to talk you through it.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 10:18:19 pm »

Terminator  
So Term, or any other dealer here.........can I order that part thru you?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 10:18:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42