What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer - Sterling decision  (Read 3174 times)

ASAP

• 2006 Optima
First time buyer - Sterling decision
« on: December 21, 2006, 08:59:14 pm »
Hi there,

I’ve been lurking here for a few months and I must say this forum has been a big help during my decision process.

Wet test, wet test, wet test… It’s like a mantra in here, and what good advice it is. I looked at and wet tested several brands and finally made my purchase. It will be delivered in May 2007 when the weather here allows us to pour a concrete slab and get everything ready.

Here are the details on my purchase.
I think I got a good deal from a good dealer:

Sundance Optima New 2006 model
Color: Platinum acrylic & Coastal cabinet
Grey Cover & lift
Ozonator
48’’ step
Chemical starting kit
2 Terry robes

Total: 8 800 $ Canadian before tax (around 7 600 $ US)

BTW, after a wet test I noticed that my sterling silver bracelet had become a bit dull. I gave it a quick polish and it was back to normal. Could the dullness have been caused by a certain chemical or by improper chemical balance? Is it generally better to remove jewellery before getting in a spa ?

Thanks for all the help!

Hot Tub Forum

First time buyer - Sterling decision
« on: December 21, 2006, 08:59:14 pm »

neocacher

Re: First time buyer - Sterling decision
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:02:50 pm »
Congrats! But how can you wait that long! Welcome to the forum!

Neo

BigK75

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:11:47 pm »
Damm that is a good deal.  I paid 10K CND plus tax for the same spa just yesterday.   Oh well that's how it goes I guess.

Claude

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:36:34 pm »
Welcome to spatopia. Or, when the thing finally gets to you, welcome.

But for now, welcome to the 'no longer shopping, wondering which one I want" club.

Enjoy.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ASAP

• 2006 Optima
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:24:03 pm »
Hi Claude,

I'm in Montreal. I purchased my spa with Club Piscine. It's a pool/spa/fitness chain here in Quebec. I visited several locations and they all offered the same price give or take 100$.

Where are you?

BigK75

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:39:17 pm »
Hey ASAP:

I am in London, Ontario.  We have no chains here so its take it or leave it.  Small city approx 300,000 people.  Anyway I wanted to congratulate you on your hot tub.  Sundance Optima is fantastic.  I spent 40 minutes wet testing it.  I am getting mine installed tomorrow morning.  I can't wait.  I will post pictures tomorrow.  

Claude

BTW Montreal is an incredible city, I have family there.  In fact Quebec is an incredible Province (QC, Temblant, Montreal).  You name it, Quebec has it.  

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:54:57 pm »
Congrats!  You are going to absolutely LOVE it.  What  a FANTASTIC deal.  We paid $8,800 US in October (no ozone & no robes & smaller step 30"??).  Same color combination too.

The robes are great BTW ... unbelievably heavy.. you don't even feel cold and/or wind in them.

Welcome to spatopia!

anne

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:03:15 pm »
Congrats on the tub! BTW, I have heard that both chlorine and bromine tarnish silver quickly. Probably best not to wear silver in the tub, if there is any residual chlorine, or if you will use bromine. I had a silver ring that used to get tarnished easily in pool water at the gym.    
Dance like nobody's watching

SpaNE

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:08:44 pm »
This forum sure has a lot of Optima owners!  SD has a winner with that model.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 11:14:04 pm »
Congrats ASAP. The Optima is a great spa. You'll love it.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 08:37:56 am »
This forum sure has a lot of Optima owners!  SD has a winner with that model.  

The Optima has been around for a long, long time with few changes to the shell design, though many upgrades in plumbing and jets.  It has been a solid seller for Sundance.  Even with people I know who purchased a Sundance Spa, most all own Optimas.

ASAP

• 2006 Optima
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 10:26:43 pm »
I was in my sisters hot tub last night and forgot to take off silver bracelet...it went dull just like when I wet tested. She uses chlorine and an ozonator. She has never noticed this dullness or tarnish with her gold jewelery. Maybe it just occurs with silver.

I cleaned the bracelet and it's just fine again.

I've got to remember to take off the hardwear when soaking.

P.S. Using someone else's spa makes me realize that it's going to be a long wait until mine is delivered in the spring.

Ciao !

xrdirthead

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 11:48:25 pm »
Hi there,

I’ve been lurking here for a few months and I must say this forum has been a big help during my decision process.

Wet test, wet test, wet test… It’s like a mantra in here, and what good advice it is. I looked at and wet tested several brands and finally made my purchase. It will be delivered in May 2007 when the weather here allows us to pour a concrete slab and get everything ready.

Here are the details on my purchase.
I think I got a good deal from a good dealer:

Sundance Optima New 2006 model
Color: Platinum acrylic & Coastal cabinet
Grey Cover & lift
Ozonator
48’’ step
Chemical starting kit
2 Terry robes

Total: 8 800 $ Canadian before tax (around 7 600 $ US)

BTW, after a wet test I noticed that my sterling silver bracelet had become a bit dull. I gave it a quick polish and it was back to normal. Could the dullness have been caused by a certain chemical or by improper chemical balance? Is it generally better to remove jewellery before getting in a spa ?

Thanks for all the help!

That price sounds GREAT!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:52:59 pm »
I used to work in the repair department of a family-owned upscale Jewelry store.  (Bockstruck's, for you Twin-Cities folks)

Anyway, chlorine and cleaning supply chemicals, hair dyes and perm chemicals are VERY BAD for your jewelry.  >:(

The chlorine won't eat away at the actual gold, but it will eat away at the other metals that are combined with that gold.

You can look at a ring with just a jeweler's loupe (10X magnification, I believe) and see the nasty pitting--tiny black holes everywhere.  My first question to women with rings like that was, "Do you have a pool?"  Second was, "Do you work with a lot of chemicals?"

The pitting weakens your ring (or clasp on a necklace or bracelet) and when you knock it on the washer/dryer, grocery cart, whatever, the ring can break, or even worse, the crown breaks and your diamonds fall out.  

Pearls, opals and emeralds should NEVER be put in a cleaning solution, so  I would never wear them in a pool or hot tub either.  Opals can crack in very cold temps!

The damage to your gold jewelry does not happen overnight--it is cumulative and NOT repairable.   :(

I am not as familiar with silver.  I assume  pitting could occur with that metal  as well.  Thank goodness it shines up again nicely with  a jewelry cloth!

That is your jewelry lesson for the day. 8-)
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:52:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42