What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heating Problem with 93 Hot Spring Prodigy  (Read 1963 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Heating Problem with 93 Hot Spring Prodigy
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:06:10 pm »
Hope that someone can give me some information. My brother recently started having a problem controlling the temperature on my old 93 Hotspring Prodigy. The tub got a new thermostat last year and my brother just put in a new heater element to replace the original.

After the new heater element, the tub was working fine for a while, but now, if he turns the heat up to its normal setting (5 to 6 on the dial), the heat stops working. If he leaves it at 1 or 2 on the dial, it heats to about 85 or 90 degrees but no higher.

I took a look on the net and think it could be the "Spa High Limit control" or the "Heater High Limit control" but don't know which. I have read that if the "Spa High Limit control" fails, it trips the breaker for the tub, which is not happening. But I also read that if the "Heater High Limit" is bad, it should trip the heater. But that is not happening either. The tub just stops heating if the dial is set at its normal setting.

Any ideas or suggestions before I tell him to call the dealer?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Heating Problem with 93 Hot Spring Prodigy
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:06:10 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Heating Problem with 93 Hot Spring Prodigy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 11:42:08 am »
It sounds like the control t-stat has failed.  If you installed a factory t-stat less than a year ago, it is has failed, the part is under warranty.

How old are the filters?  How clean?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:02:04 pm »
It sounds like the control t-stat has failed.  If you installed a factory t-stat less than a year ago, it is has failed, the part is under warranty.

How old are the filters?  How clean?

Dan:  I'm beginning to suspect that the thermostat may have failed again.  Since the power to the tub is not being tripped, this may be the likely culprit.  

As to the filters, I just replaced them with new ones shortly before I gave the tub to my brother.  And I know this tub is not sensitive in this regard since I never had a clogged filter problem in the 12 years I owned it.

Maybe I should tell him to try a new thermostat first.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:02:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42