What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time in new tub - found crack  (Read 2319 times)

richopian

First time in new tub - found crack
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:25:06 am »
Hi all,
well we got the electrician to set up the new Jacuzzi j-365 tub yesterday (tub delivered the day before). Yesterday my fiance and I kept on running out to check the temperature, and finally at 10pm it was at 102.

Fantastic. We got in and had a great first  time in our tub, checking all the jets etc. Then as I was feeling for jet locations in one of the seats, I ran my fingeragainst something sharp. Initially though it was something stuck to the tub surface, but its a crack. Our pleasure turned to pain. Aall the waiting, setup, etc and now its installed on the first day, we find a crack. Its not a hairline crack, but a jagged, half inch protruding crack.

Were going down to the dealers this morning - has anyone seen this on a Jacuzzi tub before. I assume we'll just get a new tub ordered, but I'm wondering if we can hld on to this one until the other arrives or what.

feeling a bit bummed, especially as we look out the window this morning and there's 1/2 foot of snow. The tub looks perfect, but I know its not

cheers
Rich

Hot Tub Forum

First time in new tub - found crack
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:25:06 am »

mjb

Re: First time in new tub - found crack
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:28:35 am »
Whenever we've had to replace a spa
(which, thankfully, hasn't happened much)
we have let the old one stay until the
new one was delivered if that's what
the customer wanted.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:30:25 am »
Sorry to hear that Rich. I'm sure Jaccuzzi will make good. Since the shell is not a replaceable part they'll have to exchange the tub. Inquire as to whether or not they will re-imburse you for the electricians time to disconnect and reconnect. The sales people here could inform you better on that point.
Bullfrog 562

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:30:53 am »
I've personally never heard of this, but if I had to guess, it may be from the delivery.  Of course with it being a brand new spa, you should get it replaced.  If is not leaking, you may be able to use it until a new one arrives.

richopian

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:38:20 am »
The only thing I was a bit worried about is the tub sits on an old concrete patio. Its not perfectly flat or level. I had a guy come out for a pre-delivery inspection from the dealer. He said there would be no problem and put the tub on the deck when I was at work earlier this week.

I'm sure it won't be an issue but I'm stil concerned nevertheless.

The tub looks beautiful sitting in the snow this morning. We don't get huge amounts of snow here in Vancouver, so its pretty special.

cheers
Rich

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:39:31 am »
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, that really stinks. :(

The dealer should leave the spa for you until they get your new one in.  They should also compensate you for the electrician.

Good luck and don't worry, I'm sure they'll take good care of you. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

SpaNE

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:04:02 pm »
They should also compensate you for the electrician.

Terminator

OK, more confusion for me.  Don't you just unplug the old spa and plug in the new one?  What does the electrician do?

richopian

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:07:57 pm »
The electrician is mainly involved to setup the wiring at you house for the hot tub (GFCI compliant breaker etc) - this can be $1000 or more so make sure you budget for it. The wiring itself is very thick. Probably 1/5" in diameter, and you have to have this wired into your control panel in your tub (does not just plug in).
cheers
Rich

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:08:17 pm »
I just assumed it was a 220v spa.  It may very well be a 110v.  There hasn't been a Jacuzzi dealer around here in years so I'm not very familiar with their spas.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Terminator

glfahlc

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 12:09:06 pm »

OK, more confusion for me.  Don't you just unplug the old spa and plug in the new one?  What does the electrician do?
an electrician will simply dis-connect the three or four wires you have running to your spa from your breaker... ez to do actually , just make sure you have the breaker off on your main panel as well as your GFCI breaker to the spa....

clover

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 12:31:50 pm »
If it was a HS model, I am sure the dealer could simply disconnect the wires and change out the tub easily enough.  I don't know what would make a jacuzzi more difficult that would require the electrician's attention and that the dealer could not handle.  

Worring about the electrician is just added worry that adds to the stress of having a different brand than a HS.  The electrician has already done his job.  Let the dealer do theirs.  Seems simple to me.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Reese

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 12:43:17 pm »
This is not a brand issue, and I don't think the dealer will need to have an electrician involved.  They will simply disconnect the old tub, reconnect the new one and be on their way.  As long as the tub isn't leaking profusely, keep using it until the replacement arrives.  Just be careful not to scratch yourself.

Dealers, do you ever repair shells under warranty and leave the tub in place, or do you always swap it out?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
once the wire is installed, it is just two wires to hook up in the tub.  you shouldnt need an electrician for that.  I am sorry to hear that you are so bumed out.  That really sucks

but atleast you dont have noodle bacteria in your tub like my buddy.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 01:31:50 pm »
 I have never seen that in a Jacuzzi spa,I know them and Sundance have very strict quality control but people can always miss something,I would think your dealer will keep the spa there unless its leaking,as far as electrical goes they should just be able to swap it out when your new spa arrives and there tech should be able to handle this.

Like others said be real carefull that you dont get cut, the acrylic can be sharp.
 Dont worry I am sure they will take care of it. :)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 01:44:30 pm »
The only reason I stated that the electrician would have to re-connect the spa is that our service techs are not licensed electricians and ARE NOT allowed to perform any electrical work, including something as simple as hooking up 4 wires.  I'm not sure if it's a state law, if my boss doesn't want to be liable, or if it's a dealer requirement from Watkins.  Ya'lls mile may vary.

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 01:44:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42