What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Would 1 bad seat cause you not to buy a hot tub?  (Read 4705 times)

Uzona

Would 1 bad seat cause you not to buy a hot tub?
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:57:35 pm »
Hi Everyone..

We're in the market for a new tub.. After visiting several dealers of different brands we decided to wet test the Jacuzzi 470 and the Marquis Epic.

We really liked the Jacuzzi until we wet tested.  Not sure why specifically, but after testing we just knew the jacuzzi wasn't the tub we were seeking.

Currently leaning towards the Marquis Epic.

The lounge fits my wife perfectly.  She absolutely loves it and that seat alone has her sold on the Epic.  However........

The lounge doesn't fit me at all.  The built in headrest strikes me right between the shoulder blades when I lean back.   It's very uncomfortable.  This was a bit surprising because I'm not an exceptionally tall man at just a hair under 6 ft.    Adding a portable pillow helped make it tolerable but I still wouldn't call it "comfortable".  Plus the portable pillows don't stay in place very well.

The rest of the seats are very comfortable.  Love the varying heights of the seats,  the deep therapy seat,  the open footwell, and the therapy pillar.  I have mixed feelings about the tri-zone control as I see both advantages and disadvantages.  I also wish the ozonator was on a 24/7 circulation pump.

So the question is...would you buy a hottub knowing that you find one of the seats to be uncomfortable if you liked the rest of the hottub?   The lounge is the one with calf and hamstring jets.  I could get calfs and hamstrings with the therapy pillar, but I would have to be standing up to do it.  Most of the time my wife will be using the lounger while I use the deep therapy seat and the therapy pillar.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:02:01 pm by Uzona »

Hot Tub Forum

Would 1 bad seat cause you not to buy a hot tub?
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:57:35 pm »

neocacher

Re: Would 1 bad seat cause you not to buy a hot tu
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:06:28 pm »
Hi Everyone..

So the question is...would you buy a hottub knowing that you find one of the seats to be uncomfortable if you liked the rest of the hottub?  pillar.

As many have said before, no tub is perfect. I would check out more tubs first, then if I still liked the other features the best , yes I would buy it and live with one bad seat if it were not too major of a position.

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:42 pm »
How about testing one of the Marquis lines without the lounger.  We wet tested the Destiny during our search and it was very nice.  No lounger on the Destiny but still a nice roomy tub.

Uzona

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:33:13 pm »
How about testing one of the Marquis lines without the lounger.  We wet tested the Destiny during our search and it was very nice.  No lounger on the Destiny but still a nice roomy tub.

We looked at the Destiny (no wet test) and liked the Epic better.  Maybe it's worth taking another look at it.  The thing that struck me about Destiny is in order to use the foot jets you had to be sitting in the pillar seat.  Footjets and pillar seat are on different diverters.  Therefore to use that seat you had to affect every other seat in the tub.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:09 pm »
No.

Bama

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 12:09:44 am »
OK, you don't like the lounge seat, but you say your wife loves it, right?
Are there other seats that your wife doesn't like?
If, not I think I would keep looking, maybe you will find a spa that you both love all the seats.  However, I doubt it.  
We have two lounge seats, a his and a her size...we love them and we are both happy.  
We have LA Spa with the complete back, carpal tunnel, thigh, calf, and foot jets all in the lounger.  Two corner seats have shoulder jets that hit the top of the shoulders and the back of the neck, while other jets massage the back.  Love it!  Love it!  Love it!  Strong jets and comfortable seats.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:26:22 am by Bama »

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:29:05 am »
I agree with the others to keep looking.  Chances are you might find something that works better for you.  If it comes down to the same issue on other spas, then pick the one that meets both of your needs the best.

However, for sure keep looking.  My opinion is you have to see at least 4-5 different brands before you can make an informed decision.  Buying a hot tub is a long term decision.  You don't want to buy one on an impulse and then regret it after a few months.

You really need to be confident in your decision.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:01:24 am »

So the question is...would you buy a hottub knowing that you find one of the seats to be uncomfortable if you liked the rest of the hottub?

Yes, as long as it's not the lounger. I wet tested LOTS of different spas in my quest (all the major brands) and none had ALL comfortable seats. There was always atleast one. Alot has to do with me being on the tall side. 6'1''.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 08:47:29 am »
wow that Marquis has a very nice web-site.

http://www.marquisspas.com/default.asp

fatman

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:57:31 am »
To answer your question, there is no chance I would buy a hot tub unless I fit into every seat. There is too much money involved.
  If I were you I would check out Emerald hot tubs. Their lounger fits both me and my wife. Neither of us float out of it.

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:33:28 am »
Uzona- we owned a Marquis Destiny for a week or so (long story), but you're right about that foot therapy seat.  Now that we have an Artesian Piper Glen, we're much happier with the foot dome.  We wet tested the Artesian Dove Canyon (same as Piper Glen but it has a lounger) and it was really nice - my husband loved the lounger on it but we really wanted to have more seats so we went with the Piper Glen.
I think you should wet test different tubs....you'll find one that fits you both.

SpaNE

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:37 am »
Hi Everyone..

So the question is...would you buy a hottub knowing that you find one of the seats to be uncomfortable if you liked the rest of the hottub?  

WOW...what a great question! :o

I'm sure you will get a million different opinions.  If you are buying a spa for yourself only - I would say probably not.  However, it you are buying a spa for you and your wife - absolutely!  Unless you and your sweetie and about the same height and build it is almost inevitable that one seat will not be ideal.  How is that NOT possible - especially with a lounger?

There are plenty of other seats in the spa.  ;)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:26 am »
The Epic was designed so that someone of your height would use the deep therapy seat for the back and only use the lounge seat for your legs. I think many will agree that if you get 2 really good fitting seats and very good to get 3 than you are doing well in any spa.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »
Yes, I would and I did.  I don't care for a lounger and it didn't matter to me if the spa had one or not.    I always feel like I'm going to go under water in a lounger so they just aren't relaxing to me.  

My fiance insisted on having the lounger.  I've been in the lounger once in the 1-1/2 years that we have had the tub and I don't think he has bothered with sitting anywhere else but the lounger.  

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:11:29 pm »
I think that you will tend to find the ONE seat that fits or suits you and for the most part, the other seats are just there for you to visit...We have an Epic and I loved the lounge when we wet tested. I wanted the leg therapy. After a year, that is my husband's seat AND I have found the deep therapy seat is my favorite. I am short and that is a really deep seat, but I just love it. The therapy pillar between that deep therapy seat and the left cool down seat is also really awesome. My husband has a routine, he relaxes in the lounge and then uses that pillar for intense therapy. I can use that same pillar, but without the air, and it is a great back massage for me. In our case the better we got to know the Epic, the more we loved it. At this point, I wouldn't care if the lounge didn't fit me at all...he loves it and I have the seat that I love. The Epic has proven to be much more than we expected from our wet testing..
Maybe a second wet test would help you decide  ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:11:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42