What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa chemical confusion  (Read 2568 times)

ramseyh

spa chemical confusion
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:11:49 am »
We have just purchased a new spa that has an ozonater and would like to see if we can run it without using chlorine.  (we have never owned a spa) The guy who set it up was doubtful-- his suggestion was: when filling the spa add 1/2 bottle Metalgone, 1 ounce Defender (scale prevention), 1 scoop granular 56 (chlorine), 1 scoop of Renew (shock).  I would like to use the Nature 2 cartridge instead of the chlorine (and add the other items), and see if that works. If it doesn't I guess I could add the chlorine later, correct?  Does this seem like a good approach?  Your input would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

spa chemical confusion
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:11:49 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: spa chemical confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:28:32 am »
Ramseyh

congrats on your new tub! What type of tub did you get?

The general thought is; No, you wont be able to eliminate chlorine from your routine. Ozone will assst in keeping your tub clean, but accurate measurment and dosing is still a bit of a magic trick. The N2 strick is also a suplemental product. (Thier site claims you can drastically reduce the need for chlorine, but anyone who has followed that methord reported bad results).

I have an ozinaotr and it keeps the tub sparkeling clean between uses.  I tried the N2 stick, and didn't notice any difference. However I use Dichlor after I use the tub.

Here' s what I do:
I'd fill the tub. if you have metals in your water, the Metal gone is a good idea. Defender for scale is also a good idea if you have high PH.

I'd add about 1 teaspoon of dichlor (Spa 56) and get the Chlorine levels to 5ppm. Check and adjust for Alk, and PH.  I'd pass on adding the Renwed (MPS) right away.

Use the tub. After each use, add a half teaspoon per person of Dichlor (Spa 56) run the jets and test. You want to have added enough Dichlor to get the level to 5ppm. Close the cover.

Check the PH and Alk once a week. Adjust as necessary.

About every 7-10 days I'd shock the tub with the Renew per the directions on the lable.  Clean the filter once a month.
07 Caldera Geneva

neocacher

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:16:10 am »
I agree. You will need to use ~1 tsp of dichlor (per person) after each use of the tub.  Hopefully, the ozone will keep the water crystal clear between uses or when you go on vacation.  Does  you tub have a 24/7 circulating pump?  If not, the ozonator will only work when the pumps are running, reducing its effectiveness.  I just purchased a small new tub and, after reading the numerous threads about ozone,  returned the ozinator because my filtration system does not run 24/7.

Nevertheless, the general consensus is that ozone does some secondary sanitation, of which the amounts can not be measured.  Ozone can be hard on the tub cover and on the pillows.  However this could be several years down the road, and I don't think this is too much of a concern for you at this point.

I do not think that ozone is bad, so do not get that idea.

Enjoy your tub! And welcome to the forum!

Neo in South Dakota
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:17:15 am by neocacher »

ramseyh

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:50:55 pm »
Thanks so much for your responses, both of you.
I have no idea whether there are metals in the water, but I know we have lots of calcium,  but guess I'll have to use a little chlorine after all it seems.
 No, it doesn't have a 24/7 circulating pump, but we were told we could program it to circulate several times a day.  I plan on using the N2 catridge to boost it, if that makes any sense.
This is a Resort 856 spa made by Artesian.  It has 3 pumps, 92x92x38.  I was wondering about how full to fill it since we will have our family here and we'll have four in it at once.  Do the upper row of jets have to be covered with water?  Seems like with four people the water level would go up..

Thanks, Ramsey

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:55:02 pm »
Yes fill it to cover the jets.  If some splashes out , then eh. no big deal.  (it's outside, right?). Cover the jets, but if you have pillows, try to keep the  fill line below the pillows.

:)

07 Caldera Geneva

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:42 pm »
Thanks so much for your responses, both of you.
I have no idea whether there are metals in the water, but I know we have lots of calcium,  but guess I'll have to use a little chlorine after all it seems.
 No, it doesn't have a 24/7 circulating pump, but we were told we could program it to circulate several times a day.  I plan on using the N2 catridge to boost it, if that makes any sense.
This is a Resort 856 spa made by Artesian.  It has 3 pumps, 92x92x38.  I was wondering about how full to fill it since we will have our family here and we'll have four in it at once.  Do the upper row of jets have to be covered with water?  Seems like with four people the water level would go up..

Thanks, Ramsey

With dichlor, is done right as suggested, you will not be soaking in it. It dissapates so fast that by the next day, if you dose right 3-5 PPM after your soak it will be below 1 PPM the next day. City water has .5-.3 PPM in it from the tap
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42