What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optima drain tube  (Read 4005 times)

cparlf

Optima drain tube
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:44 pm »
My second post after two years of problem free operations:  Last weekend, I changed the water.  On the Optima, the drain tube is a pvc tube, with o rings etc.  It pulls out to a stop, causing the water to flow into the attached hose and down the driveway it goes.  This time, I attached the hose, pulled the tube out and the entire tube slid out.  There are four ears on the tube, that appear to turn into slots to hold the tube in place.  These 4 ears are fine, they do not look to have broken off etc.  I called my dealer three times, left messages over the week, and no calls back.  So much for customer service.  

So, being winter, I filled the tub back up, the tube is not leaking (so far).  Is anyone fmailiar with this tub and rthe drain mechanism?

Thans for any help you may offer.  Happy soaking. :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Optima drain tube
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:44 pm »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: Optima drain tube
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:01:06 pm »
Someone on here or another tub forum had that same exact issue.  They just pushed the drain tube back in and everything was fine.  Based on that experience I wouldn't sweat it too much...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:01:59 am »
I recall reading the same.  
 They must have changed the drain valve since the 2003's.  Mine is PVC, but doesn't move- you just unscrew a PVC end cap, screw on a garden hose adapter in it's place, and open a gate valve.  The PVC itself doesn't move.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:06:53 am »
I recall reading the same.  
 They must have changed the drain valve since the 2003's.  Mine is PVC, but doesn't move- you just unscrew a PVC end cap, screw on a garden hose adapter in it's place, and open a gate valve.  The PVC itself doesn't move.

Yes, the newer SD spas have an external valve.  Yours must be like mine where you have to open the middle equipment compartment to drain.  There is an advantage...we can use the 2 inch quick drain rather than a garden hose.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:04:45 pm »
Tony  and Pg-Rider-

How fast do your spas drain?  I read a lot of comments about spas taking hours to drain.  

I put the garden hose adapter on, and hook up a garden hose, and let gravity do it's job.  Spa is drained out (except for a few gallons in the footwell) in about 45 minutes.

Not sure if that's because I use a larger diameter hose than the standard- it's a 3/4" one I have to use to feed my pressure washer.  Plus the hose drops maybe 8' from the spa to the pond behind the house, so the siphon action from that may help.

I see that a drain kit with an even larger diameter hose is available, but I don't see the need or know if it would speed up beyond what I've already got.

Just wondering what other Optima users are experencing.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 01:10:39 pm »
I have the drain kit.  It empties fast, maybe twenty minutes.  Sometimes I use a submergible pump, but takes much longer.  With the drain kit, there is no restriction.  You get the full diameter of the plumbing draining the tub out.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:42:34 pm »
Haven't drained mine yet as I've only had it for two months, but I asked for a sump pump for xmas so I'm hoping I never have to use the drain!
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:28:03 pm »
I drain our Optima in 10-15 minutes.  I bought a $10 sump pump hose from Home Depot and hold it in front of one of the whirlpool jets when it's running.  This gets the flow going.  Once it starts gravity takes over and the water gets pulled out pretty fast.  I let it run with the pump on for 30 seconds or so to get a good flow going and then cut the power.  Works like a champ.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:28:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42