What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone fumes  (Read 6093 times)

cparlf

Ozone fumes
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:32 pm »
Wow.  I can't believe it has been almost two years since I last posted.  My fears in the early days were addressed by all on the forum, and I learned a great deal.  Enough to let me enjoy my spa for 2 years now without even thinking about maintaining etc.  So, after 2 years here comes a quick question.  Actually two, the next post to adress the next item:  Here goes:  In the past 6 months, I found we did not use the spa more than three or four times.  Each time we did, the fumes were so strong it actually chjoked us and made us sneeze like flu sufferers.  Spa store told me to leave the cover open or adjar, to let the ozone vapor out.  I tried this, to no luck and this past weekend changed the water for the winter.    2004 Optima; bromine for sanitizer.  Bromine runs low end of acceptable as normal.  Can someone cerify the dealer advice as correct?  I will say I do use it more in the cold weather.

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone fumes
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:32 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Ozone fumes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:28:33 pm »
After two years, I doubt it is ozone, Did you notice this while the jets are running. Sounds like the water may just be old. Your ozone probably doesn't run while the jets are on.  It sounds like high TDS to me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:37:33 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:32:12 pm »
 Are you sure its ozone you are smelling?  I have never really heard of ozone getting  to the point that its that strong.  And if it is that strong kiss your pillows and cover goodbye sooner

Reese

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:51:46 pm »
I also doubt it is ozone.  Unless this tub is inside, any fumes from ozone or bromine should dissipate quickly once the cover is off.  

A few questions:  Did the water change make any difference?  Have you been shocking the tub on a regular basis?  What is the pH?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:03:49 pm by Reese »

neocacher

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:36:44 pm »
Ozone has a distinctive smell, not like chrorine.  Speaking of fumes, i poured some chlorine from a large bottle to a smaller bottle today, and almost burned my lungs from the dust and vapors.  I need to do it outside, and be more careful next time.

clover

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:04 pm »
I agree with everyone else, it's not the ozone, most likely chemical off gassing.

Two questions, how old was the water and what was the pH (hi or lo)
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

cparlf

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:34:57 am »
Wow, thanks for the input and concern.  I do recall this as a great forum.  Keeping involved in the earlier days kept me more informed and more soaking time was a resuult.  Let's see, Bromine is hovering in between the low and low "OK" zone.  pH was 7.2, alk was 70.  I did change the water, and it is fine now one week into the new water.  I thought the TDS should be OK, as it got so little use aside form cleaning cycles and an occaisional weekend open it up and let it air and run all jets wide open for 20 minutes.

Reese

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:39:46 am »
Did you shock the tub on a regular basis, even though you weren't using it?

cparlf

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:55:35 am »
No, I did not.  Sounds like this is where I went wrong.

Reese

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:59:52 am »
I think so.  The "fumes" were probably bromamines and contaminants that would have been oxidized by a shock.  Even though you weren't using the tub, things were trying to grow in the water and the bromine was keeping them in check -- but forming compounds that can be irritating to the lungs.  I'd try to shock once or twice a month, even when you aren't using the tub much.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:01:07 am by Reese »

cparlf

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:05:22 am »
I will do as you suggest.  SOunds easy, but I also will make efforts to use the tub more, and I almost always toss in a capful of shock after each or every other use.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:05:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42