What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater AG+ Silver Ion with MPS or Dichlor  (Read 8966 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Freshwater AG+ Silver Ion with MPS or Dichlor
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:57:47 pm »
I just refilled my tub and replaced the Nature2 Freshwater AG+ silver ion cartridge.  I am probably mis-remembering but I had always thought that it was MPS that was used to activate and "rejuvinate" the cartridge, but the documentation that comes with it now says to shock with Dichlor.    It looks like they updated the documentation (it used to be a folded up piece of paper, but now it's a small booklet)  They also seem to call out what seems to be a large amount of Dichlor  to shock (1.5 TABLESPOONS per 250 gal vs 1.5 TEASPOONS per 250 that Hotspring says to use). It also recommends using MPS daily (when the tub is used) and shocking with Dichlor as needed.  I've been following a routine that is just the opposite, dichlor after use and shock with MPS (and really haven't seen any problems)  

So which is it?  Does MPS activate the silver ion cartridge or Dichlor?  (or will both do the trick?) Any recommendations??

Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater AG+ Silver Ion with MPS or Dichlor
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:57:47 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Freshwater AG+ Silver Ion with MPS or Dichlor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:32 am »
I also just purchased a new HS Freshwater cartridge and noticed the new packaging and documentation--with the blond lady on the box. The Hotspring instructions per the manual recommending to shock with 1.5 teaspoons of dichlor per 250 gallons is probably a little weak. When I shock with dichlor, I typically use about 2 tablespoons of dichlor for a 450 gallon spa. Otherwise, I shock with about 2 ounces of buffered MPS--the Hotspring brand.

The experts will probably chime in for you but I think the silver ions will be activated by using dichlor or MPS. I think the marketing angle for a mineral cartridge typically is targeted to people who think they want to avoid chlorine--thus MPS is recommended. I believe either MPS or dichlor will work fine for shocking but I prefer to use dichlor as the daily sanitizer to kill the nasties. I would stick to your same routine if it's working for you.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:43:32 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tileman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 03:53:20 am »
  It is to my understanding that to activate the cartridge after initial fill in is neccesary to superoxidixe the water with dichlor. You can use either mps or dichlor daily and both will do the job of keeping the cartridge working properly. No matter which one you do though, you will have to use dichlor at some point to keep the water sanitized.
If your routine worked for you in the past I would stick to it. :)

Tileman

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 07:18:52 am »
 They also seem to call out what seems to be a large amount of Dichlor  to shock (1.5 TABLESPOONS per 250 gal vs 1.5 TEASPOONS per 250 that Hotspring says to use). It also recommends using MPS daily (when the tub is used) and shocking with Dichlor as needed.

Exactly what I have been doing for over 2 years without a problem.  3 Tablespoons of dichlor weekly as a shock and 2 Tablespoons of MPS with each use.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:35:03 am »
The instructions always came from Nature2.  

Nature2 is now approved by EPA as sanitation system for spas, with the new instructions.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:37:24 pm »
As to the activation, you use Dichlor.  Always has been that way.

Otherwise, if what you've been doing is working, why change it?

Personally, I use MPS when I use the spa and I superchlorinate with Dichlor based on how much I'm using the spa.  If I'm using regularly, at least once a week.  If I'm away a bit and not using so much, I back off on my Dichlor.

I find the combo of ozone, silver and MPS works quite well for me.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 09:39:16 pm »
Sorry for the delay... Thanks for the info guys !!!

Mike

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:12:50 am »
I don't think you are really activating the silver ions.  What you want to do is give your water an initial sanifizing...generally a tablespoon of dichlor...to get clensed and started.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:12:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42