What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub Water  (Read 1576 times)

Slappy

New Tub Water
« on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:23 pm »
I have dumped my tub this weekend and here are my readings.
FC = .7
TC = 1
CC = .3
TA = 94
PH = 8.4
Calcium = 159
copper and iron are at 0
TDS = 500

I added 6 oz. calcium increaser, 1 oz ph decreaser and 1 tsp dichlor. My only promblem with this brew is the floating tapeworms coming out of the lines when I turn the circ. pump on high. I tried "Defender" but this seemed to make no difference in the floaters. What should I do?

- Slappy

Hot Tub Forum

New Tub Water
« on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:23 pm »

Reese

Re: New Tub Water
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:48:05 pm »
First of all, you need to get the pH down before you start adding calcium to the water.  You also need to use a lot more chlorine when the pH is above 7.5 to make up for how little is in acid form at high pHs.  Next, you speak of a "brew" -- hopefully you are adding the chems at separate times to avoid them interacting with each other.  Finally, I'm wondering why you have that much TDS in fresh water.

As far as what's next, it depends whether your "floaters" are organic or mineral.  I'd start by getting the pH down (in my tub it takes a lot more than 1 oz of acid to get the pH down from 8+), and shocking the tub with a high dose of chlorine to make sure the floaters aren't something growing in the tub.  In the meantime, keep using the Defender weekly.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:49:51 pm by Reese »

Slappy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:50:34 pm »
BTW... these readings are from a pool store near me. My taylor kit tested about the same results. I added nothing to the tub before taking the sample to the store. Minus any chems that may have been in my lines, this is how the water comes out of my tap in a small town in Ohio. Not to shabby all in all.

Slappy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:53:55 pm »
Thanks Reese.

I do add chems at intervals. As far as the TDS, I don't believe the pool store really tests for TDS. I think it's just a standard that they use. I called them and verified that number. I will re-test the water today to see how my additions have affected the chemistry.

- Slappy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:53:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42