What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Saver -- to be used with a cover lifter  (Read 1742 times)

knightcap

Cover Saver -- to be used with a cover lifter
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:05:21 am »
I haven't seen much on this topic, so thought I'd start a new post.  I have a "bar type" cover lifter (cheap), where the cover essentially hangs by the hinge.  I see a product called Cover Saver on rhtubs, which takes the weight off of the hinge, and supports the cover with two straps hanging from the bar.  Seems like a small hassle to use, but worth it if it saves the cover.  It costs about $25.00.

My question is: does anyone have any experience with this?  From two perspectives: those with a bar type lifter, and no Cover Saver, how has your cover held up over the years?  Those with a Cover Saver -- in hindsight, do you need it?  Is it a hassle to use each time?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Saver -- to be used with a cover lifter
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:05:21 am »

Repeat_Offender

Re: Cover Saver -- to be used with a cover lifter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:29:22 am »
Interesting idea, though I wonder how much wear the hinge gets being used only 3-4 times a week for less than an hour.
Bullfrog 562

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:46:25 am »
knightcap, I had one on my last tub. seemed to perform it's intended function. A little tacky looking, but not bad. There is no added hassle involved. I'd recommend it to keep the weight of the cover halves from hanging off the hinge.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:48:28 am by txwillie »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:43 pm »
If your tub experiences as much direct sun as mine (which is exposed to direct sunlight constantly during the day) then I do not reccomend the cover saver--it will not last in constant sun--the webbing deteriorates.  I tried one when they first came out a couple of years ago and it deteriorated after about a year.  I got a second one and tried soaking it regularly in 303 but it didn't last either.  If you have minimal sun on your tub, then I would recommend it...it works as advertised.  Good luck.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:12:16 pm »
You could always place a couple of blocks or build a "support" on the ground behind your spa that the cover could rest on and take any stress off the hinge and/or the spa cabinet where the brackets attach.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:12:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42