What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: how important is it to test the EXACT tub you want  (Read 3188 times)

txwillie

how important is it to test the EXACT tub you want
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:39:16 am »
Wanna test a HS Vista. The closest wet one is +/- 170 miles away in Houston. The Austin dealer has an Envoy wet. Similar layout and jets, just smaller than the Vista.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

how important is it to test the EXACT tub you want
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:39:16 am »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: how important is it to test the EXACT tub you
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:44:26 am »
I would say it's 100% absolutely critical.  I couldn't believe the difference in comfort between various tubs that looked similar on the surface.

To that end, if the dealer in Austin is worth his salt he'll pull a Vista and fill it up for you (assuming you're serious about buying).  He'd be crazy to tell you to drive to Houston for a wet-test...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:44:47 am by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:53:59 am »
pg_rider:

problem is he does not have a Vista and does not expect to get one until February.

BTW, How ya like the Optima? Tested a Maxxus a couple of weeks ago. Really like the size and the WOW factor, the jets were just OK IMO. Jets did not come close to my 2004 Marquis Quest that I left in Dallas (much smaller spa with fewer jets and just one pump, but the jets were fantastic).

txwillie

SpaNE

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:38:50 am »
pg_rider:

Really like the size and the WOW factor, the jets were just OK IMO. Jets did not come close to my 2004 Marquis Quest that I left in Dallas (much smaller spa with fewer jets and just one pump, but the jets were fantastic).

txwillie

What did you like about the Marquis jets?  What makes them so good in your opinion?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:44:22 am »
I don't think it makes a squatload of difference between the Vista and Envoy.  The Vista lounge is a bit longer, but other than that, they're going to feel exactly the same.  The Vista has 1 extra seat and is 2 inches deeper.  The captain's chair in the Vista is at an angle as opposed to the Envoy, which is parallel to the side.

I believe the Envoy would give you a very similiar experience.

Good luck!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

txwillie

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:53:49 am »
SpaNE:

The placement and the power were the best part. The lounger fit perfectly and the jets hit me in just the right places. The 4 HK40 jets were stacked on top of each other and gave the most incredible back massage. You had to be in the well, in a sorta squat position with your back to them (sounds wierd, but it was not uncomfortable as in the deep part you are buoyant). You could sit opposite them for a foot massage. The neck jets were great. The only drawback was the single pump. If the HK40's were on, the other jets were off. The Quest was redesigned for 2005 or 6 and the layout is different. If there was a Marquis dealer in Austin, I'd be looking at the Epic.

txwillie

txwillie

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:30 pm »
Terminator:

I was wrong about the dealer here having an Envoy to test. He has a Grandee, which has most of the same jets, but no lounger. Gonna try it out this afternoon. Just found out that there is a D1 dealer practically next door to the HS dealer. Anyone have any feedback on D1?

txwillie

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:31:45 pm »
Well, if Term says they're going to feel similar then I'm guessing they're going to feel similar!

As for the Optima, I like it a lot but it's definitely not a "flashy" tub when it comes to jets.  They're very strong, but there's not much variety so some might find it a bit boring.  The foot dome is amazing though and I couldn't do without it.  Plus I really like the overall quality of the controls, filtering, etc.
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

clover

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:47:08 pm »
Well, if Term says they're going to feel similar then I'm guessing they're going to feel similar!

I thought the whole point of a water test was to test exactly what you wanted.  As term points out there are differences, whether they will make a difference is the whole point of water testing.  

While I understand most people buy without wet testing, your spending big bucks on a quality unit and HS is known for going the extra mile for their customers.  Let the dealer know how you feel, February is only 10 weeks away and you have a lot of shopping to do anyway.  But, it is a bummer to be without a Hot Tub once you have had one.

I think term has them all in water, or at least is willing to fill them up.  I am surprised the HS dealer in your large area dosent have all of them in stock, or at least one at a nearby customer, just a thought.  The closest HS dealer is 170 miles away, wow, but everything is Texas is big.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

txwillie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 01:00:28 pm »
Funny thing about Austin. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but it is still just a little po-dunk town in many respects. Austin has a very laid back atmosphere. It tries to "Keep it Weird", AKA keep the small town feel, and that extends to retail, where, even though the population is over 1.4 million in the metro area, you have to go to Houston, or Dallas, or even San Antonio to "find things".

txwillie

anne

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 01:12:58 pm »
If the dealer is planning to get one in February, couldn't he just get it now instead? You could wet test, and if you are happy, it'll be off his floor in no time, and he can get another one in February! If he cannot get one UNTIL February, then that would imply that  even if you wanted to buy that model, maybe you could not get one delivered until february, which might change your shopping choices, unless you want to wait.
Dance like nobody's watching

txwillie

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 01:19:24 pm »
exactly. He does not have one, won't get one until Feb. Most likely takes HS off the list, but I'm gonna look anyway. I want to purchase B4 the end of the year. Sundance dealer tells me the 2007 increases are in the 10-12% range

txwillie
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:20:14 pm by txwillie »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 01:33:28 pm »
try what they have, you may love those instead.  I agree with the comment made, terminatore knows everything about hot springs.  if he says they are close, I would take his word.  It all comes down to how fast you want a tub.  If you want to wait then I would say hold off until February.  If not, I would say try a bunch out and see what happens

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 01:35:25 pm »

The dealer is probably in the same boat we are.  The factory is shut down for cleaning, re-tooling, and for the holidays.  No more spas can be shipped until the first of the year, so dealers have to make their best estimate on inventory requirements to get them through the shutdown.  We stock up on Envoys, Sovereigns, Jetsetters, and Solana TX's, our best sellers.

If a shopper comes into my store wanting a spa we don't have in stock, we will let them pre-order a 2007 at 2006 prices.  That is exactly what forum member Shortspark did this week.  He ordered a Jetsetter in a color combination we did not have in stock, so we will bring him out a 2007 Jetsetter as soon as we get one in next month.  I am sure the HotSpring dealers in your area will do the same.

Anyway, the above picture should give you a pretty good idea of the similiarities between the two spas.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! :)

Term

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »
I want to purchase B4 the end of the year. Sundance dealer tells me the 2007 increases are in the 10-12% range

txwillie

That is either a marketing ploy or else an exhorbinant increase. :o

I believe we're having about a $100 increase next year.  It'll be our first in a couple of years.

Term

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42