What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First tub issue  Help!!!  (Read 4639 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
First tub issue  Help!!!
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:10:38 pm »
Ok, so yesterday I had to replace two of my jets.  No big deal, the dealer gave me two new ones and I put them in, taking out the old ones.  

The problem is that I noticed a white crusty like film on the inside of the jets.  Today, the dealer said that it is calcium.  I was told that I dont have to worry about calcium, so I never tested it, however, now obviously it is an issue.  The girl that works there said that it is from poor water chemistry.  My water chemistry is perfect, I have had no issues at all.  The ranges are always within a respectable limit.  She says it is caused from ph or alk being out of wack.

So the solution is to pull every jet and soak in a clr solution. Time consuming but I will do it.  but what about the lines and pump.  are they in bad shape as well??

Any suggestions to prevent this from happening or what else I can do to treat it.  Is there chemicals???

Hot Tub Forum

First tub issue  Help!!!
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:10:38 pm »

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
Re: First tub issue  Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:28:48 pm »
What Ph scale are you using? I try and keep it as close to 7.5 as possible. Some dealers will tell you its ok all the way up to 8.0 which I do not agree with. I would not worry too much about your calcium, just that its high enough. I doubt you have too much calcium.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:29:01 pm by Ehizzle »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:59:11 pm »
This is what Leisure Time Defender (or another good stain & scale product) guards against.  I figure its cheap insurance.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:24:22 pm »
Do we know FOR SURE that indeed it is calcium?  Do the dealers really test it for calcium or do we all just assume it is calcium??

What if it is a different mineral that the Defender does not help?

I'm not asking this in a flippant tone, I am really just wondering if indeed it was tested and found to be calcium.

The thread about white residue from the water splashes is behind my question as well.

Before my last fill, I brought in a water sample to get the readings right out of the hose--the same hose water that I would be filling the tub with.  The manager "tested" it while I looked around in the showroom.  He said my chlorine was fine.

I said "Great!  But that's surprising considering that  is my hose water, there is no treated water in my tub yet.  I would like to know  the other values of my water as I will be filling the tub this afternoon."
 I didn't say another word and he sure looked surprised at being busted.   The bozo hadn't even tested it for chlorine--he just gave me the answer he thought I was looking for.  >:(
2005 HS Vanguard

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 01:31:10 pm »
Kervis:
That is really a disconcerting story.  If the guy was too lazy to test your water, or didn't have time to test, then don't offer it for customers.  But to lie to your face and have you rely on this bad info in taking care of your tub is IMHO, just plain wrong.  I hope your dealer ain't my dealer.  Where are you located anyway?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:37:45 pm »
Bosco,

If you are really concerned about calcium deposits in your pipes, heater, etc., you could run you pH a touch low (maybe around 7.0 or so) for a while which will bring the deposited calcium back into solution thereby cleaning it.  This would obviously only be a temporary process and would have to be monitored well but should solve the problem.  Good luck.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:51:16 pm »
Kervis:
That is really a disconcerting story.  If the guy was too lazy to test your water, or didn't have time to test, then don't offer it for customers.  But to lie to your face and have you rely on this bad info in taking care of your tub is IMHO, just plain wrong.  I hope your dealer ain't my dealer.  Where are you located anyway?

I'm in the Twin Cities--looks to be a brown Christmas here unless the weather pattern changes.   :'(

The employees at my dealer's store always make it sound like hot tub care is carefree and effortless--which now that I get it, yes, it can be.  But then, all of a sudden, white crusty stuff, which voids your warranty, and then what? --  because no one thought it was a big deal all along until some evidence grew.

Oh well.
2005 HS Vanguard

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 02:12:22 pm »
I thought Calcium was a hardness issue? When your water is too soft you add calcium to bring it up?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:30:30 pm »
If your water is soft, add calcium.

If your pH is too high (8+) calcium may come out of solution.

Stain and Scale products will also address the issue.

Running low pH as suggested can also help bring the pH back into solution.

Tap water CAN have chlorine in it, depending on your water source.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:33:15 pm »
my ph was tested again now and is between 6.8 and 7.2.  the color is not close enough to either one.  I know I know, I need a test kit.  I will be getting one now.

My water is city water no hardness issue.

Reese

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 04:43:51 pm »
my ph was tested again now and is between 6.8 and 7.2.  the color is not close enough to either one....My water is city water no hardness issue.
If your pH is usually that low, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with calcium deposits, unless your hardness is sky high.  FYI, city water can have lots of hardness -- at least mine does.

I have no personal experience with bromine, but I seem to remember someone posting about deposits they attributed to bromine...perhaps from the fillers/binders used to make some of the cheap pucks.

A couple of other thoughts:
1. What is your alkalinity?  Could that be causing your scale?
2.  I agree with Tony on the stain/scale product.  I find that when I use it, my spinner jets seem to work a little better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:52:36 pm by Reese »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 05:19:19 pm »
This is NOT a calcium issue and I guarantee it 100%! It's a Waterways jet issue as the body of these jets built during a certain period, breakdown. I too said the same thing when a customer first brought one back in but I have seen HUNDREDS of these Waterway jets do this. The white plastic looks very brittle right?

It won't effect the performance of the spa but you certainly have every right to take back any jets that are doing this and exchange them. Beachcomber went through many hundreds and sent them back to Waterways.

Steve

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 05:22:38 pm »
This is NOT a calcium issue and I guarantee it 100%! It's a Waterways jet issue as the body of these jets built during a certain period, breakdown. I too said the same thing when a customer first brought one back in but I have seen HUNDREDS of these Waterway jets do this. The white plastic looks very brittle right?

It won't effect the performance of the spa but you certainly have every right to take back any jets that are doing this and exchange them. Beachcomber went through many hundreds and sent them back to Waterways.

Steve

I concur, same with Artesian jets.

wetone

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 05:41:23 pm »

Steve

Amen, same issue with Colemans waterway jets.

anne

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:17:12 pm »
I switched out all the jets in my tub a few months after purchase. At that point, the jets were about 1+ years in use, as the tub had been a floor model. All of them had a slight white film/powdery coating on the insides. I did not know what it was, but perhaps the same thing? I do tend to have hard water, but I have been very careful to use metal gone at each fill and defender almost weekly. If it represents some sort of build up due to poor water chemistry, then at least 3/4 of it was my dealers fault, as it was his floor model!

I wonder if it is a waterways manufacturing issue. Next time I'm out there, I'll pull out a jet and see if the new ones have it.  
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:17:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42