What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hi from Texas - my first post  (Read 11252 times)

shortspark

Hi from Texas - my first post
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:13 pm »
How lucky I am to have found this site!  Hi everyone, I'm Shortspark from Texas and have been a dedicated hot tub owner for over 20 years.  As an introduction I would like to say that the main reason I decided to register is because one of your long time posters here is right in my back yard - TERMINATOR.  I was reading a few threads and was most impressed by this guy's knowledge and posting demeanor.  I determined rather quickly he was a Hot Springs dealer and, as luck would have it, was located about 35 miles from me.

Well, I decided to search and read many of his posts (as well as several other "regulars"  I identified whose posts impressed me the most).  All I can say is you folks really know your stuff here and the flame wars, unlike so many other places I've visited, are almost nonexistent - what a relief!

I certainly don't have the knowledge to contribute a whole lot but I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the weeks to come as I am in the market for a new tub as we speak.

There is one thing I would like to ask for starters.  Why does there seem to be such an emphasis on chemicals and water treatment?  Well or "iron" water and super sensitive skin notwithstanding, is there really a need in modern spas to monitor the chemicals and balance them to the extent that I've been reading?  I ask because in all my 20 years experience I have found that my water is kept clear and clean with nothing more than a few 1" chlorine tabs in a floating dispensor.  I almost never check ph anymore, or any other factor for that mater, and I have "shocked" only twice in the last 20 years.  When my dispensor is empty, I simply reload and I'm set to go.  I do clean the tub, filter and change water regularly but that aside, I do nothing else.  From much of what I've been reading on the subject there appears to be an almost driven view that seems to me anyway, leads to overuse of chemicals.  This concerns me as I seek a new hot tub as things must have changed in recent years in their sanitation engineering to cause this infactuation with chemicals.  To me, the less the better.  Could someone shed some light on this?

Hot Tub Forum

Hi from Texas - my first post
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:13 pm »

MostlyLurkingGal

Re: Hi from Texas - my first post
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:06:57 pm »
Hi and Welcome! I'm a newbie here myself, but have learned quite alot. Nice people here. I am curious to hear responses to your questions. I know 2 people who do just about what you do with your water.....Bromine dispenser and nothing else. One guy hasn't changed his water in over a year.....what gives?

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:06:57 pm »
....Why does there seem to be such an emphasis on chemicals and water treatment?  .....  Could someone shed some light on this?

Welcome shortspark,

As you are a 20-year veteran of hot tubbing, I am quite sure that you will be teaching all of us a thing or two.

I do believe that there is a tendency for folks nowadays to be overly analytical/anal/fearful about keeping their water safe and clean.  That aside, I believe that bather load has a lot to do with it.  If a single bather soaks a few times a week, with a constant supply of chlorine, I'm sure his/her water will stay beutifully clear.  

May I inquire as to whether or not you've had a tub full of teenage girls with long hair and laundered bathing suites anytime recently?   ;D  All the hair products and soap can sure play havoc with that crystal clear H2O.  

Also, today most folks using cholorine use Sodium Dichloride in granular form, which needs to be dispensed manually.  Is your chlorine made for swimming pools perhaps?  Can you shed some light on what the chemical formula of your chorine tabs is and what your average free chlorine level is?  What is your average bather load and how often do you dump your water? (There's that old analytical BS rearing its ugly head again).  :o

It's a bit shocking that you don't shock, so I suspect that your chlorine levels would be a bit high and your bather load lower than most.  To put it simply, chloramines (the smelly useless-for-sanitizing form of chlorine) as well as total desolved solids (caused by heavy bather load) is the reason why people shock on a regular basis.

I believe that most folks who use dichlor want their free chlorine levels quite low right before they soak.  

I think it is good that you bring a mature and relaxed attitude to this board.  If you've been enjoying your tubbing for 20 years, you must be doing something right!

Cheers,

G

tileman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:50:59 am »
Shortspark, welcome to the forum.

Did you mean to say you use a bromine floater? I ask b/c chlorine tablets(trichlor) are used for pools. Does your water have a strong chlorine smell to it? I ask this b/c if you don't shock your tub with some sort of oxidizer(i.e.-mps or a adeqate amount of dichlor) to rid the chloraminates(or CC) you will have this problem among others.

What kind of tub do you have?

Thanks,
Tileman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 04:24:54 am »
actually tileman, you are wrong.  You can get trichlor small tabs for dispenser for hot tubs.  Most companies dont recommend them but they do exist and many canadian tubs, allow the use of them.  

I too agree with you method of less is better.  My water is maitenance free.  I shock from time to time, however, I always ensure the pucks are full.  I do have to add ph up, but other than that, I dont do  much more.  

No issues ever with my water.

tileman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 07:04:16 am »
actually tileman, you are wrong.  You can get trichlor small tabs for dispenser for hot tubs.  Most companies dont recommend them but they do exist and many canadian tubs, allow the use of them.  

Actually Bosco, I am right. I never said you couldn't put them in your tub, if that's what you want to do then go ahead. I'm just letting you guys know that it isn't a good thing to do. Btw, don't you use bromine anyways? :)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:38:02 am »
Actually Bosco, I am right. I never said you couldn't put them in your tub

no you didnt say that, you said that they are for pools.  

Did you mean to say you use a bromine floater? I ask b/c chlorine tablets(trichlor) are used for pools.

You say chlorine tabs are used for pools.  They can also be used for hot tubs.  Some chemical companies do sell chlorine tabs for hot tub (trichlor)  thats why I said you were wrong.

And yes I do use bromine, but my local dealer also sells trichlor pucks.  That is what I was getting at.  Some manufacturers say not to use them, while others say that it is ok.

I know arctic products are repackaged spa boss chemicals, so I know it is being made for tubs as well.  Maybe not the best granted but still available.

PotomacG

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 07:39:15 am »
As I was getting out of my tub last night, forcing my naked self out into 27 degrees with 30 mph winds, I was really glad I had a bromine floater keeping my water sanitized.  Needless to say I closed the cover as fast as I could and hightailed it into the house  ;)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:40:53 am »
I ran from the tub once, ONCE ONCE ONCE last year and slipped on a patch of ice and bruised my tail bone.  That was the last time I ran to the house, now I just suck up the cold because I think of the discomfort I was in for a few weeks.

shortspark

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:17 am »
Thanks for the welcome folks.  I'll try to answer some of the questions raised.  I agree 100% that the main factor for exact chemical use and balance is directly related to one main factor - useage.  As PotomacG surmised, my hot tub is used in a way that may be rather unique, ei, I am the only user (one other person has been in the tub during the past 2 years and that was only once) and I am in it about 20 minutes four or five days a week.  If I had a bunch of teenage girls (as in Potomac's example) in and out of the tub all the time I am sure things would be much different.

The dispenser I use is a floater with set tabs to release the chlorine in the amount desired.  Although I do not believe the release can be monitored precisely this way, I usually open it fully for the first day or so and then close it almost all the way from that point on until the tabs are disolved.  Yes, the mini-pucks are plain old tricholor - never cared for bromine as the only benefit I found was in longevity.  And Tileman, I do not experience the strong order you mentioned.  Basically, I determine if my "balance" is correct by looking at clarity, scum and smell as well as scale on components.  I seldom test the water in any other manner.  Sometimes I can feel a change in water chemistry by how "soft" or "hard" the water is around me.  I know then I have to balance the Ph but this is really rare.  I bet it has been over a year since I dipped a strip in the water.

The tub I have is an older Morgan Bahama, 470 gal (or there abouts) eight footer.  I clean and change the filter monthly, drain water and clean the tub out quarterly and that is about it.  I always drain via an external electrical pump as I think it is easier on the spa, much faster and I get virtually all the water out save for about a half inch in the well.  I have the receipt in front of me and I bought this tub in March 1987.  It has survived a couple moves and the only problems in all this time was a recalibration of the thermostate, a temp sensor, a new motor and heater element.  A couple jets do not work properly but that never concerned me too much.  That ain't too bad in 20 years!

Back then when I bought the tub and was a younger man I had other things on my mind.  Now, theraputic factors (especially after playing golf) are my primary concern.  Also, as I would assume is the case with most people who buy second tubs, I am looking to downsize.  I know enough that all the bells and whistles are just things to go wrong and my main objective as I shop is comfortable seating, reputation of dealer and company and just the subjective factor of how the tub fits to me, not how I have to fit to it.  Although building a hot tub is not rocket science, I will be going into Terminator's showroom next week to wet test the Hot Springs line and I'm sure I will be most surprised at the advances during the past 20 years.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:56:32 am »
shortspark, how old is your current tub?   Whooops just read your post, must have been typing at the same time.  Whatever you are doing it must be right cause that tub is old baby and it has treated you well.  Keep it up man. 

Bosco don't you know that Tileman is always right, just ask him.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:00:20 am by rayman »
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

PotomacG

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 09:28:28 am »
....I will be going into Terminator's showroom next week to wet test the Hot Springs line and I'm sure I will be most surprised at the advances during the past 20 years.

Bravo shortspark.  From reading his posts, I'm sure that Term will treat you well.  I wish his dealership was a few thousand miles east  :-?

Best of luck finding your new tub.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 09:57:15 am »

[size=14]Welcome to a fellow Texan Tubber![/size]

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:49:05 pm by Zep »

Spiderman

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 12:37:30 pm »
As I was getting out of my tub last night, forcing my naked self out into 27 degrees with 30 mph winds, I was really glad I had a bromine floater keeping my water sanitized.  Needless to say I closed the cover as fast as I could and hightailed it into the house  ;)

You must be having a heat wave!!  I wish it was 27 last night while I froze my behind off  ;D   Wind is our worst enemy when it comes to outdoor tubbin'
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

anne

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:47 pm »
Shortspark, welcome to the forum.

Did you mean to say you use a bromine floater? I ask b/c chlorine tablets(trichlor) are used for pools. Does your water have a strong chlorine smell to it? I ask this b/c if you don't shock your tub with some sort of oxidizer(i.e.-mps or a adeqate amount of dichlor) to rid the chloraminates(or CC) you will have this problem among others.

What kind of tub do you have?

Thanks,
Tileman

It cracks me up that the guy with a whole 5 1/2 (or maybe 6 now!!!) weeks of tub ownership has the audacity to act like an expert. But as Rayman said, Tileman is always right, cuz he says so!

Glad you joined us, Shortspark!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42