What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Here - Marquis Question  (Read 7131 times)

Matt Foley

Newbie Here - Marquis Question
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:37:40 pm »
Hello one and all, been lurking for a long time trying to get ideas on what kind of spa to buy. We ended up buying a home that already had one, a Marquis Retreat, which we like very much.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple. We use to buy the Frog Spa cartridges (Bromine) in a green tube - They were to last longer. Our "dealer" says that they no longer make the green and have went back to the yellow. Is this correct, or is he blowing smoke up up yazoo?
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Here - Marquis Question
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:37:40 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Newbie Here - Marquis Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:48:13 pm »
I didn't know you could get a hot tub with a van down by the river. ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:52:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  The green cartridge is still available.  They might have made a decision to stop carrying the green ones to keep things simpler for their customers and simpler on their inventory.  The floating frog system requires the yellow cartridge.  What dealer is in your area?

Matt Foley

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:15:11 am »
Why sure, we have alot of modern doo-dads down here by the river. The old lady and I get along really well.

I am not sure what my dealers name is....Only been there once, but will look to order from an on-line store somewhere.
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:04:34 am »
You'll most likely not find the green cartridges anywhere online.  Marquis worked out an exclusive deal with King Technology (makers of the cartridges).  

anne

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 04:34:56 am »
Why sure, we have alot of modern doo-dads down here by the river. The old lady and I get along really well.

I am not sure what my dealers name is....Only been there once, but will look to order from an on-line store somewhere.

;) If this is your second post, and with a photo even, you're going to fit in just fine around here!!!!! ;D
Dance like nobody's watching

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:33:02 am »
Matt,
It's also possible to reuse the bromine cartridges and refill them with the standard bromine tablets. Check this post for more information. I haven't had to buy a bromine cartridge in over a year. When the current cartridge has been depleted, I just pry the top off the cartridge, refill it from the 25# tub of bromine tablets I bought at a local pool and spa store, snap the top back on and put it back in the tub.
King Technologies (makers of the frog system), thanks to corporate greed, has since changed the cartridge so it cannot easily be reused. I think they glued the cap on. I haven't seen them so I don't know how difficult it would be now to reuse the cartridges. I'm just happy I have a few in reserve which should last me indefinitely.  8-) :P

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:59:05 am »
Matt,
It's also possible to reuse the bromine cartridges and refill them with the standard bromine tablets. Check this post for more information. I haven't had to buy a bromine cartridge in over a year. When the current cartridge has been depleted, I just pry the top off the cartridge, refill it from the 25# tub of bromine tablets I bought at a local pool and spa store, snap the top back on and put it back in the tub.
King Technologies (makers of the frog system), thanks to corporate greed, has since changed the cartridge so it cannot easily be reused. I think they glued the cap on. I haven't seen them so I don't know how difficult it would be now to reuse the cartridges. I'm just happy I have a few in reserve which should last me indefinitely.  8-) :P

Phil

Phil,

You and the dealer you are buying the bromine tabs from are most likely viloating federal law. :(  And they are watching you, here on the internet. >:(  Got to protect corporate greed. :o
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 10:14:46 am »
I think Phil has found an innovative way to recycle the cartridges...
It is up to him to figure out how to make his system work since it is not the one intended by the manufacturer. I don't get what is wrong with that...I am sure he is still buying the King mineral cartridges so he is still supporting the corporate...And how the heck is the spa dealer selling him the bromine pucks violating federal law?  :o :o
Comm'on is this a new clause in the Patriot Act?

Personally, I am too lazy to refill cartridges..I just want my Marquis sanitizer reminders to coordinate with the actual need to replace cartridges..Using the green cartridges creates more confusion..and since I switched (and tend to ignore the spa indicator), my tub has become cloudy on two occasions..so I am glad to switch back to the yellow cartridges.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Matt Foley

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:22:40 pm »
I tried to pop the top on my yellow cartridges, but they are tighter than a ducks ass.

Oh well, perhaps I'll dump the spa frog all together... I've always hated companies that try to use "proprietary" items.

Anyone have a suggestion once the frog gets shot between the legs?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:52:02 pm »
I tried to pop the top on my yellow cartridges, but they are tighter than a ducks ass.

Oh well, perhaps I'll dump the spa frog all together... I've always hated companies that try to use "proprietary" items.

Get yourself a bromine floater.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 01:57:12 pm »

Get yourself a bromine floater.

I'm not a bromine fan so with apologies to those who do like bromine, I'll add the point that another option is switch to a simple chlorine regimine (adding Nature 2 is optional though I'd recommend it as well). You would however have to drain/refilll to do so but keep it in mind.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 11:10:08 pm »
Phil,

You and the dealer you are buying the bromine tabs from are most likely viloating federal law. :(  And they are watching you, here on the internet. >:(  Got to protect corporate greed. :o
Hey Dan!

I never gave it much thought. How am I violating federal law? I know KT is unhappy that someone has found a cheaper & better alternative by reusing the cartridge but a federal crime? How is it any kind of crime, much less federal? I'd really like to know.
Any lawyers want to chime in?

It's unethical of a company to set up a system in this way. Why should I have to spend $10 every month to replace a cartridge when a simple and inexpensive alternative is right in front of me? As you said, it's corporate greed.  :P

Also consider the waste. Keep in mind, people are throwing those cartridges away every month. And whatever kind of plastic its made of is not recyclable in my location. Just another piece of garbage added to a landfill.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:21:18 pm »
I hope he was kiddin', Phil. I gave up getting those tops off...like I said I am too lazy. the whole system is relatively new, I am sure there will be knock off replacement cartridges real soon.......
Hey Phil that sounds like a great business venture. ;)  And you are right the spent cartridges are environmentally unfriendly!  Now that should be a federal offense!  >:(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 11:33:05 pm »
Hey Phil that sounds like a great business venture. ;)  And you are right the spent cartridges are environmentally unfriendly!  Now that should be a federal offense!  >:(

It is totally ridiculous that they don't make them to be refilled and it is environmentally wrong. If you go to jail over it I'll send you a file in a cake. Fortunately the people who are supposed to enforce this law are the same ones who are supposed to come after you for removing the matress sso I think you're safe.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:34:34 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 11:33:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42