What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sewing Cover Straps  (Read 9256 times)

Matt Foley

Sewing Cover Straps
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:14:44 pm »
We had a violent storm a few months ago and 2 of the 4 straps on my cover were ripped off. There is no damage to either the straps or the cover as far as I can tell.

I'd like to sew them back on myself, but don't have a clue as to what to use and where to purchase it.... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks-
Matt
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Hot Tub Forum

Sewing Cover Straps
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:14:44 pm »

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sewing Cover Straps
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:19:23 pm »
you will need a heavy duty sewing machine. Try a luggage repair store. They would have the right equipment.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:23:06 pm »
Matt, isn't your cover new? Would that possibly be considered a manufacturing defect? I don't think the straps should rip out that soon, even in a storm.  If the material isn't damaged, and it is only the stitching, you can use upholstery supplies. The sewing needles are heavy gauge and some are circular. They would be the easiest to use, I think. Try to use the same holes in your cover material if you can. New holes (more holes) might make the material weaker. Also use upholstery thread, it is real heavy ( carpet thread may be even be better). Good luck, but I would check if this could be warranty if nothing else was damaged  :-/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:24:10 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Matt Foley

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:08:05 pm »
Matt, isn't your cover new? Would that possibly be considered a manufacturing defect? I don't think the straps should rip out that soon, even in a storm.  If the material isn't damaged, and it is only the stitching, you can use upholstery supplies. The sewing needles are heavy gauge and some are circular. They would be the easiest to use, I think. Try to use the same holes in your cover material if you can. New holes (more holes) might make the material weaker. Also use upholstery thread, it is real heavy ( carpet thread may be even be better). Good luck, but I would check if this could be warranty if nothing else was damaged  :-/

I am new to the spa, it came with the house we bought a few months ago, so I am stil learning my way around.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will stop by an upholstery store and have them hook me up.

Thanks!
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:15:47 pm »
With most covers the tie-down straps aren't attached very well. Usually they just sew them into the bottom of the skirt (something we couldn't imagine doing).  Also, every cover warranty I've seen excludes them. You could sew new ones on using 1" wide nylon webbing. Just run it all the way up the underside of the skirt.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:16:40 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 03:10:06 pm »
We have a canvas shop nearby that does this kind of work- they resewed the seams in my heavy duty grill cover for $15.  Maybe you have something similar in your area.

They primarily make custom tarps and covers, but do heavy sewing repairs on this type of stuff as well.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 03:10:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42