What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter Cycles  (Read 3017 times)

pjjp21

• We Love our Emerald!!
Filter Cycles
« on: May 08, 2004, 01:54:45 pm »
hi,

we just got our Emerald Tub last week, and have heard so many different stories about how long the filter cycles should be.  Right now we are filtering every 12hrs for 4hr duration. can anyone tell lme of their experiences with this subject.

thanks  

john

Hot Tub Forum

Filter Cycles
« on: May 08, 2004, 01:54:45 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Filter Cycles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 04:16:20 pm »
There are so many variables, but I'd say you did the reasonable thing by picking a reasonable starting point.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 06:39:48 pm »
4 hours twice a day seems to be working great for me. But there's variables, sanitation method, filter size, water quantity, amount used.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 06:41:44 pm »
hi,

Right now we are filtering every 12hrs for 4hr duration. can anyone tell lme of their experiences with this subject.

thanks  

john

It really depends on who's going in and how much. If its just 2 people then you could probably lower it to 3 hrs twice per day. If you've got a kid then 4 hrs per cycle would be good. If this is going to be grand central station then you might increase it to 5 hr cycles, etc.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Maverick

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 12:35:12 am »
Another variable is whether or not the filtration system is "100%" or "bypass". My spa is the former and I filter  for 2 hours twice daily. I use Eco One, dichlor, a little Sea Klear 4 in1 once a week and NO MPS. Water is perfect with a change every 4 months.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 10:31:44 am »
I see this as one of the bigger problems with my customers. They all worry about the cost of filtering the water, so the spas do not get filtered enough. More filtering is always better and will make your water maintenance much easier.

There are so many variables to compute as to what is the perfect amount of time. I always suggest they start on a longer cycle then what most factory defaults are set at.

The average cost of running a two-speed pump in low speed is about $.005 an hour.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Slappy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 12:34:39 pm »
Another variable is whether or not the filtration system is "100%" or "bypass". My spa is the former and I filter  for 2 hours twice daily. I use Eco One, dichlor, a little Sea Klear 4 in1 once a week and NO MPS. Water is perfect with a change every 4 months.

I am not sure about the "100% or bypass" part of this statement. Can anyone tell me the difference? What is bypass filtering?

-Slappy

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:45:31 pm »
No bypass filtering means that all of the water taken in by all pumps goes thru the filters.
 My Optima has 3 pumps, counting the circ pump.  The circ pump and one main pump pulls water thru the filters.  The third pump pulls water thru some inlets covered by nylon "socks", but not thru the filters.  That'd be bypass.

Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:06:24 pm »
No bypass filtering means that all of the water taken in by all pumps goes thru the filters.
 My Optima has 3 pumps, counting the circ pump.  The circ pump and one main pump pulls water thru the filters.  The third pump pulls water thru some inlets covered by nylon "socks", but not thru the filters.  That'd be bypass.

I'm going to disagree with ya there brewman. If your circ pump is FILTERING and going through ONLY the filter and not bypassed to a foot well pick up , then you indeed are no bypass. If your pump 1 jet pump filters through a filter and a bypass to the footwell then you have a bypass system. There's only one 100% no bypass system out there and it's on a HS which pulls all the water through the filters, jet pump and circ pump. But if your doing your filtering through only the filter with your circ pump I would call that no bypass. Just not 100% no bypass.
Retired

Slappy

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:13:56 pm »
three pumps? Wow. my tub must be completely different than all of yours. I have one pump. It takes in water via the filter opening and through the footwell hole at the same time. the only bypass I can think of is the water outlet.
I can select the water to go only left-handed around the tub or go right-handed around the tub or a little of both.
I don't think this is what you are referring to as bypass. all water into the pump goes through the filter.

- Slappy

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:36:16 pm »
I do 2 hours 4 times a day, I think.  I will double chek

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:36:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42