What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filling new tub with warm water?  (Read 15320 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: filling new tub with warm water?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 11:53:25 am »
Why use hot water for your coffee maker when the coffee maker heats the water?
Just curious.

Why use hot water for your hottub when the hottub heats the water? same question different appliance.

Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 11:53:25 am »

anne

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 02:42:23 pm »
Tileman, I'm curious: what was your source of information for saying that it was ok to use hot water? I ask because it has never been declared as ok before, and this topic has come up here at least 3-4 times in the last year.

As for your coffee maker, I have been guilty of using *warm* water a few times, but it is not a good idea as others have already said. Actually, a lot of coffee and tea manufacturers also say to use "fresh cold water" to brew as the flavor is supposedly better. I'd rather drink tea or coffee made from "fresh" tap water than from water that has been sitting in my water heater for a long time.
Dance like nobody's watching

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 03:16:39 pm »
Why use hot water for your coffee maker when the coffee maker heats the water?
Just curious.

Because the cold water isn't softened....and it's HARD and nasty (and not in a good way). Our last coffee maker made it roughly a year with only having brewed about 3 pots per week on average before it keeled over.
Of course, I COULD use hard water and then de-mineralize the coffee maker (if there is such a thing?) and it would last longer...
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 03:22:34 pm »
I think there may be products out there to "de-mineralize" your coffe maker, but if what you're doing is working for you, I wouldn't bother with it.  
 You must have some pretty bad water then, if you hot tap is good by comparison.
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 03:24:55 pm »
Brewman, I took pics of what the tub looked like when I filled it with unsoftened water....remember the pearly white shell that had been filled with what looked like tea? Oh yeah, our water's harsh...but it cleans up nicely.
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 03:47:38 pm »
Now that you mention it, I do remember that.
Brewman

Pathfinder

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 05:24:18 pm »
Recently I spoke with someone at one of the acrylic suppliers and different engineers for the companies we sell and a couple repair guys.  on this issue  but mainly on a hot water on demand system(which there is no tank and you basically have unlimited hot water.) The responses I recieved were if your not filling over 100 there should be no problems.   Most of my newest customers have these systems and it sure make life easier when you dont have to wait and its -20 outside.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 05:48:28 pm »
Recently I spoke with someone at one of the acrylic suppliers and different engineers for the companies we sell and a couple repair guys.  on this issue  but mainly on a hot water on demand system(which there is no tank and you basically have unlimited hot water.) The responses I recieved were if your not filling over 100 there should be no problems.   Most of my newest customers have these systems and it sure make life easier when you dont have to wait and its -20 outside.

Question of the day.........

Does anyone know why they use hot water in commercial ice making mahines?
Retired

Pathfinder

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 05:55:18 pm »

anne

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:50 pm »
Because the cold water isn't softened....and it's HARD and nasty (and not in a good way). Our last coffee maker made it roughly a year with only having brewed about 3 pots per week on average before it keeled over.
Of course, I COULD use hard water and then de-mineralize the coffee maker (if there is such a thing?) and it would last longer...

I dont have a cure for the nasty part, but for hard water you can run a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water though the machine, followed by 100% water to rinse it out. It is not a perfect solution, but it does help prevent built up and staining.
Dance like nobody's watching

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 06:22:52 pm »
so the lines dont freeze  warm water in the lines prevent freezing.  Just a guess, but I think a good one.  or not.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:19 pm »
Because hot water freezes faster than cold water?

PS-
I'm not saying that it does or that it does not.  It's just a guess.
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 09:47:56 pm »
Hot water freezes faster than cold water because the molecules are further apart. At least that's what I think I remember from Chemistry class. It may also have to do with the speed of the molecules too - hot water has faster molecules (again, I think).

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 10:00:58 pm »
Question of the day.........

Does anyone know why they use hot water in commercial ice making mahines?

Why actually, yes I do  ;) Using hot water for making ice will greatly reduce, if not eliminate any bubbles in the ice.

Hot water does NOT freeze faster, realistically. Though there are some instances where it may.  Consider 2 containers side by side, one with cold water and one with hot water. The one with hot water, if the surface area is quite large, may have significantly more evaporation, so that in the end there is much less water to freeze. Consider the 2 containers in an old fassion non frost free freezer. The hot container may melt it's way into the ice in the freezer thereby having much more surface area in contact with the ice and this could cause it to freeze faster.

For more, look up "Mpemba effect"
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 10:16:08 pm »
hot water has faster molecules (again, I think).
I'm pretty sure that's what I learned in chemistry, too....or one of those science-type classes I took. I believe it was pretty much "the faster the molecules in an object are moving, the warmer the object "(see: hot water vs cold water)...then again, those classes WERE 15....er....4 or 5 years ago.  ::)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 10:16:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42