What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring IQ Remote problems  (Read 14534 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Hot Spring IQ Remote problems
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:55:27 pm »
I just took delivery of a 2006 Hot Spring Envoy with Spaudio II.  I love the tub, but I am having problems with the IQ Remote which controls the tub and the Spaudio.  (In fact the remote is the only control for the external speakers that come with the audio system)

The first remote worked ok, but would run down the batteries overnight.  My dealer came out and swapped out the whole tub remote system and gave me a new remote.  The second one worked for about a week.  Now it constantly has trouble communicating with the tub.  I have reset the remote by removing the batteries and shutting the tub off at the breaker.  Immediately after this restart, the remote sometimes works sporatically but will skip screens.  Shortly thereafter, it is not able to get a signal from the tub.  It has now got to the point that nothing works on the remote at all and the little antenna icon is constantly searching for a signal. (Even if I am standing directly in front of the tub)  

I've also changed the batteries in the remote so I know that is not the problem.  I have made sure that the ferrite filters were installed on the wiring and that the remote sending unit in the tub is positioned above the waterline inside the pump compartment.

Has anyone else who recently took delivery on a Hot Spring tub having any problems with their IQ Remote?
I'm gonna call the dealer again tomorrow, but I am wondering if they may be a bad batch of remotes out there right now.

Thanks, Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring IQ Remote problems
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:55:27 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hot Spring IQ Remote problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:44:08 pm »
I have seen these sporatic and intermittant issues.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:23:51 am »
May have to reposition the items plugged into the ICOM HUB or replace the HUB( expander board on the IQ2020 board.). Have your dealer do it. It's under warranty
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 10:20:37 am »
Just how BIG are those power lines you live under??  ;D   ;D   ;D      They're obviously jamming your signal  ::)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 10:35:42 am »
Could be the Mothership trying to get through to your neighbor...
Seriously though, that's screwed up. I'm sure HS will 'make it right' with you, and hopefully it'll be sooner than later!  ;)
RIP C-Rod

Richs100

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:21:28 am »
Just how BIG are those power lines you live under??  ;D   ;D   ;D      They're obviously jamming your signal  ::)

It may just be my electric personality  :)

Richs100

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:22:35 am »
May have to reposition the items plugged into the ICOM HUB or replace the HUB( expander board on the IQ2020 board.). Have your dealer do it. It's under warranty

I've got a call into the dealer.  Thanks poolboy

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 04:14:25 pm »
Hey did you try syncing it up? Take the remote with you to the main controls. Then hold light + and - at the same time. Do this until it says its syncing. Wait untill its done and see if that fixed your problem. This needs to be done with a new remote so that they communicate properly.

Richs100

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:27:36 pm »
Hey did you try syncing it up? Take the remote with you to the main controls. Then hold light + and - at the same time. Do this until it says its syncing. Wait untill its done and see if that fixed your problem. This needs to be done with a new remote so that they communicate properly.

I did try "syncing" several times.  The instructions say to hold down the + and - keys for three seconds.  I've held them down for a least 30 seconds and nothing at all happens except the continuing little antenna flashing.  Its weird that it won't even do this.

Ehizzle

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 04:34:54 pm »
Are you holding them down with 1 finger or 2. I have heard people say the same thing, and it was the way they were pressing it. If it doesnt say Sync withing 10 seconds, you either aren't pressing both down right or somethings broken.

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:41 pm »
Are you holding them down with 1 finger or 2. I have heard people say the same thing, and it was the way they were pressing it. If it doesnt say Sync withing 10 seconds, you either aren't pressing both down right or somethings broken.

I simultaneously press and hold the buttons down with one finger for each button.  No message comes up.

Ehizzle

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:04 pm »
Then there is your problem. Your dealer should have found that out when they brought the new remote, because they should have synced it themself.

SpaNE

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 05:48:33 pm »
I hope you get your remote problem resolved soon.  Remote isses aside, how does the Spaudio II sound?  Are you satisfied with it?

Richs100

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 06:39:27 pm »
I hope you get your remote problem resolved soon.  Remote isses aside, how does the Spaudio II sound?  Are you satisfied with it?

SpaNE:
I am fairly critical of any sound system that doesn't sound great.  I use a Yamaha receiver/Bose speaker system in the house and whenever I buy a new car, an above average sound system is very important to me.  I am very impressed with the quality of the sound from the SpAudio system.  The SpAudio II system comes with a set of external outdoor speakers which I have mounted on my patio behind the tub.  I find that keeping the externals on the lowest volume setting enhances the sound of the transducers in the tub and gives a "whole patio" sound (if there is such a thing :))  This weekend, I was listening to the system during the day as I installed a new lighting system in the yard.

The sound in the tub actually does come through the water which is nice, because it does not interfere with conversation in the tub and also does a pretty good job of overcoming the sound of the jets when they are running.  A friend of mine has the pop-up speakers on his tub and they always seem to be right in your ear.  I like the SpAudio transducer system much better.

My only criticism of the system is the remote.  (This is aside from the current problems I am having with my remote)  The interface of the remote is complicated and is not very intuitive.  You have to press a lot of buttons to change the track of a CD, for example.  The installer told me that older people really have a time learning the system and that they have had a few people who have just given up in frustration.  I have thought about buying the Sony remote for the Sony CD deck that comes with the unit to see if it would be more convenient. I am thinking you could keep it in a ziplock at the tub.  (I wonder, though, would it even cause more trouble with the tub's remote?)  The HS remote only has three (3) buttons on it and is used to control all the functions of the tub, pumps, lights and the Spaudio.  I think Hot Spring really needs to work on the re-design of the remote system given the price of the system.

Overall:  If you don't mind paying for the bells and whistles, I highly recommend considering this system.   I understand that the list price of the SpAudio II is about $2,200.  It's hard to say what I actually paid after all is said and done, but I think I wound up paying about $1,700 or $1800 for mine.  I think HS still offers the original SpAudio system which does not come with the remote or external speakers and uses an external player, but I don't know how much cheaper it is.

Any other questions, let me know.  Rich
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 06:42:50 pm by Richs100 »

SpaNE

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:57 pm »
Rich, thanks for the nice summary.  The 3 button remote for all the features of the spa sounds like a stupid idea.  I wonder if anyone makes a waterproof universal remote?  At a minimum I think you need dedicated buttoms for volume, track, scan, input.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42