What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cloudy water  (Read 4037 times)

MostlyLurkingGal

Cloudy water
« on: December 10, 2006, 03:13:12 pm »
Ok...I have another question, since I can't seem to grasp this "water" chemistry issue. I was sick last week, and didn't use the hot tub, so now my water is a tad cloudy...not awful, but noticable. How much dichlor should I put in ( Jetsetter..around 225 gallons) and MORE importantly, how long after doing so, does it take for the water to clear?
I did a search, but can't find the answer....

Hot Tub Forum

Cloudy water
« on: December 10, 2006, 03:13:12 pm »

tileman

Re: Cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »
I'm glad you fell better MLG. :)
What is your current TC, FC, and CC?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 03:25:12 pm by tileman »

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:50 pm »
Thanks...getting better...
There was no chlorine showing....which, I was assuming, was the reason for the cloudy water?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 03:36:44 pm by MostlyLurkingGal »

tileman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:56:26 pm »
That's what I thought, I just didn't want to suggest anything until I new for sure. I would add 2x the amount of your daily post soak dose to start. Run all the jets and air injections for a good 20 minutes. Then test FC to make sure it's not doing anything funny. Your cloudy water should clear after that cycle. Depending on how long your spa was at zero you might just want to give it a suprechlorination. This should definitely fix all visible problems along with any thing that might have been growing in there. ( I didn't suggest this first b/c it seems like you want to use the tub soon, like now) If you do decide to superchlorinate, I really can't give an exact amount to add not knowing your CC, but a safe bet would be JUST 1 TBS. I added just 2.5 tsp yesterday for my shock and my spa is 336 gallons. My FC was only .5, so I only needed enough to get to 5 ppm. The 2.5 tsp brought my water from a 0 FC to a 7 FC. I hope this helps. :)

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:33:42 pm »
OK...I have totally screwed this water up yet again. Over the course of today I have added a total of 4 tsp. of dichlor. I am not sure what my chlorine reads due to the fact that it is sooo high right now. Water still looks just a tad cloudy to me, but heck, maybe my eyesight is going, I dunno. I can't use my tub more days a month than I can use it....I am hopeless. Is it ok if I cry now?

tileman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 05:16:19 pm »
OK...I have totally screwed this water up yet again. Over the course of today I have added a total of 4 tsp. of dichlor. I am not sure what my chlorine reads due to the fact that it is sooo high right now. Water still looks just a tad cloudy to me, but heck, maybe my eyesight is going, I dunno. I can't use my tub more days a month than I can use it....I am hopeless. Is it ok if I cry now?

Don't cry MLG. Things will get easier, I promise.
If your water is still cloudy it could be a couple of things. Like dirty filters, high ph or alk, or maybe your TDS is high and it's time for a water change.
Are your other levels in range?
When was your last water change?
If you use pleated filters make sure you hose them down with a high pressure nozzle atleast once every other week. If your bather load is high and you use the tub quite frequently you might consider doing it every week.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:26:58 pm by tileman »

anne

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 05:23:11 pm »

Dont dispair- it can take a day or more for water to clear up. You find yourself wanting instant results, so you keep adding stuff in hopes of a miraculous result......and you just have to be patient. Tileman is right  ;) that if the issue is growth of organisms, and your FC was zero, that chlorine is probably going to do the trick. If in 24-36 hrs (Vinny??) the water is still cloudy, then there is something else going on, I'd think.
Dance like nobody's watching

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:03 pm »
Thanks you 2...I will just wait a day......or 5.....This is turning into being an expensive once a week soak! ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 06:12:36 pm »
What I have found in my tub is that a little spritz of clarifier works wonders. Don't over do it, just a little to get the clumping action going. Once the tub is clear, clean the filter(s). You may get foam but scoop that out and hit the tub with MPS and that should take care of the foam issue.

If the cloudiness was originally from bacteria (probably was) and you shocked the tub to kill it all then you have a tub full of dead bacteria and it's too small for a normal filter to pick up. I guess eventually the filter will become ladened enough to filter out the bacteria but I like to get the job done faster.

I only got 45 days of water use for many months (probably 10 months) due to screwing up my water with stuff - enzymes, clarifiers and even put a N2 cartridge in it ;) but ultimately not adding anything besides dichlor and MPS and an occasional squeeze of the clarifier bottle has given me 4 months worth of water 2 x so far.

For my own knowledge - Are you using N2 or ozone in the tub?

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 06:56:58 pm »

For my own knowledge - Are you using N2 or ozone in the tub?
Neither

Thanks Vinny...you give me hope

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:54:52 pm »
Filter, filter, filter.  After you add your chlorine, you have to filter to get it clear.  My water will get cloudy if I don't use it for a week without a Nature2 or Frog cartridge.  With one, I have no problem.  That is why I use one.

A clarifier may help, but you still have to filter.  Generally it will clear up without adding any.  I use clarifier if the water gets to the point of hazy and won't sparkle.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:54:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42