What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Confusion  (Read 3936 times)

IBMike_2006

Hot Tub Confusion
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:08:13 am »
OK, all you tubbers out there.....you folks who have been doing this for a while.....what advice do you have for someone who knows nothing about hot tubs, including what brand and how expensive a tub to buy.  I don't need one with a ton of entertainment electronics....no TV, at any rate.....but the only dealer in my immediate area sells Marquis, which average $6,000-8,000.  I've done some internet research, but there are so many options it's hard to tell what's good and what's not.  Are there good deals out there from other brands that can keep the price under $5,000?   We are in the market for a tub to accomodate 4 people.  Which features are most convenient and important to you, i.e. types of jets; placement of jets; types of seating, etc.  Reading this forum is interesting, but not all that informative as specific information is difficult to mine.  Help me out here.  Thanks!  Mike.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Confusion
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:08:13 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Hot Tub Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:53:35 am »
but the only dealer in my immediate area sells Marquis

Are you sure that's the ONLY dealer. Many times people think that until researching further and it's always best to be able to look at more than one brand to get a comparison but if that is the case at least it's a good brand that you know of nearby. Have you gone to the websites of the major brands and used their dealer locator to see who else might be local? There are many medium to large manufacturers out there like

Arctic
Artesian
Coleman
D1
Dynasty
Hot Spring
Jacuzzi
Sundance
... and more for sure (Beachcomber, Bullfrog, ...)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:55:13 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:19:20 am »
Have you gone to the websites of the major brands and used their dealer locator to see who else might be local?

Great advice,

Use and abuse the websites of the above list. Request all the free material that those sites offer, most offer free cataloges and or DVD's. Other than Marquis, what tubs have you looked at?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:31:35 am »
You are at a tough price point at under $5K, as most of the major manufacters are, as you found out more, along the 6-9$K area.  

As far as advice, I would recomend researching. This site is great for information. Read through the old posts, sure, there is a lot of signal to noise ratio, as you'll be reading old discussions, rants and alot of side chatter, but I think you'll find some good info. Research. Read. Check out all the brands you can so that you can see what is available, and understand what's being talked about.  When you get serious and have a budget and found some tubs in your price, WET TEST.  Wet test other tubs as well, so you have something to compare them to.

Take your time. These are expesensive, and a tub will be in your backyard for years to come.  It cost money for the pad/deck. It cost money to hook up the electricty. It cost money to move them.  So when you do spend your money, you want to ensure you're getting a quality unit.

You're right. Don't give any value to waterfalls, TV's, Radios,  fancy lights. Even with the high end tubs, they're value is negliagble. At your price points,  don't pay extra for them.

A few things:  Were are you located? Is this tub going to be outside?  Have you also considered the costs of the deck or pad for the tub? Electrical?

There are some lowere priced tubs, and you need to take a close look at them. Some are pretty cheaply made, others are only wired for 110V (I strongly recomend only a 220v system).  Ensure that when you are pricing tubs,  and comparing deals, make sure you are comparing applese to apples (Does the deal include, Cover, a lifter, steps, delivery and chemicals?)

There is no quick answer, so talk to us.  It's a process. But I think you'll find both dealers and consumers here, all who love thier tubs, and can appreciate the pain of the buying process.  We can't give you a quick answer, but we will be here to help you.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:33:06 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:15:32 pm »
I think the guys summed it up really well. The only thing I'd add is that if keeping under 5Kish is critical, perhaps a good quality used spa would be something to consider. They seem to be like cars- something that sold for 10k a year or two ago depreciates by a large margin, and you could get something really great for a lot less if you are lucky. OR- go for a floor model if the timing is right. I think a lot of dealers are getting their 2007 stuff in, and from now to February or so, they may want to unload their '06 models.
Dance like nobody's watching

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:59 pm »
The only thing I'd add is that if keeping under 5Kish is critical, perhaps a good quality used spa would be something to consider.  

Good point on teh used idea.

I've seen others rethink their budget once they see what the market has to offer at their initial limit or even decide to wait 6, 9, 12 months and sock away $200/month and come back later in a better situation.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:39:31 pm »
I too think the used market will be your best bet for 5k.  Unless you are willing to spend a little more on a new one.  I think 6 to 9k mark is reasonable for a new tub but it you want less, perhaps look on ebay or craigslist.

tileman

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:11:15 pm »
Mike if you're looking to get a NEW spa that seats 4 comfortably and still stay at your $5000 budget, I know a great spa for you.(no I'm not a dealer) It's the J-325 from Jacuzzi. Here in St. Louis they go for about $5200. For specifics go to jacuzzi.com. I think you will be quite impressed with what you get for right around 5K. I own a J-345 myself and couldn't be any happier with it. I shopped around 8 different manufacturers until I decided on my 345. It was simply the most spa for the money in it's class and also the best looking, imo. Here are some pics of the 325, ENJOY!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:33:31 pm by tileman »

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 10:31:58 pm »
I could never afford a new spa so I started looking on ebay. I wanted a Jetsetter due to size limitations and low and behold, I found a 2005 one on ebay for almost 1/3rd the price of a new one. Got to be careful, but there are good used ones to be found!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 12:48:17 am »
you sure can save a ton of cash on used tubs.  And if you are patient long enough, you will find one that cant be beat on price and quality.

IBMike_2006

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 02:06:52 pm »
All great advice and suggestions, and I thank you.  While I was waiting for your responses, I did manage to dig through the archives, and pulled out as many brand names of reputable outfits as I could find and started searching for local dealers.  You're right....there are far more than one dealer in my area.  I really appreciate your willingness to steer me in a good direction folks; thanks!

Mike

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 10:22:54 pm »
Re. used tubs... as bosco said, patience is the key.    I combed the classifieds all summer while we were looking at new.   A few of the big names popped up (most were 10+ year old HS).  We purchased in Sept and I kept checking the classified anyway... noticed in October that a number bigger named tubs avail.  THere was a few year old Marquis for 4K or so that I would have loved to see.   Marquis has transferrable warranty whereas most of the other brands do not.  Something to keep in mind when shopping.      

Oh and one other piece of advise if you do look at used tubs ...may have read it here, can't remember.  Anyway - whether/not the owner maintained good water chemistry is key.    Ask the owner about water chemistry and try to get a sense of how knowledgable the owner is.  If the owner doesn't seem to have a clue  then you might want to keep looking.    Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:29:48 pm by patty »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 10:22:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42