What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: For those who use silver ion "chemicals"  (Read 1669 times)

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
For those who use silver ion "chemicals"
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:39:41 pm »
I heard about this coming Federal regulation a few days ago, and since many use spa "chemicals" that rely on silver ions I wonder if it will affect those products?

EPA to Regulate Nanoproducts Sold As Germ-Killing

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 23, 2006; Page A01

The Environmental Protection Agency has decided to regulate a large class of consumer items made with microscopic "nanoparticles" of silver, part of a new but increasingly widespread technology that may pose unanticipated environmental risks, a government official said yesterday.

The decision -- which will affect the marketing of high-tech odor-destroying shoe liners, food-storage containers, air fresheners, washing machines and a wide range of other products that contain tiny bacteria-killing particles of silver -- marks a significant reversal in federal policy. It also creates an unexpected regulatory hurdle for the burgeoning field of nanotechnology, which involves the creation of materials just a few ten-thousandths the diameter of a human hair.

Until now, new products made with tiny germ-fighting particles of silver did not have to pass muster with regulators. That has concerned environmentalists and others who think that the growing amount of nanosilver washed down drains may be killing beneficial bacteria and aquatic organisms and may also pose risks to human health.

You can read the rest here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/22/AR2006112201979.html

Hot Tub Forum

For those who use silver ion "chemicals"
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:39:41 pm »

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: For those who use silver ion "chemicals"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:41:09 pm »
Geez!  Time to stock up.

First Pseudoephedrine, now Silver Ions.

2005 HS Vanguard

IDW

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:51:24 pm »
I agree. I do not think it is a good idea reducing sanitizer demand with dissolved metals. Its bad for the environment. Its not like a lot of sanitizer is needed for a 400 gallon spa

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:51:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42