What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Icy Deck  (Read 3767 times)

ptann

Icy Deck
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:52 am »
As the mercury has gone down I have been looking forward to my first winter as a hot tub owner.  I had a few friends over and it really was great with the cold weather, the only problem is the deck around the hottub became a skating rink with spill over and the puddles from people getting in and out.  The ice sheets combined with hot wet feet (attached to pretty tipsy people) was a significant fall problem.  Any suggestions on preventing the deck from becoming a slip and slide?

Hot Tub Forum

Icy Deck
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:52 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Icy Deck
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:45:13 am »
We put down a cheap carpet "runner" between the tub and the house.  If it gets wet and freezes,  you can just pick ip up, and shake it out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:07:04 pm »
We wear beach shoes in the hot tub to get from the deck to the tub. We just leave them on and get wearing them. No more cold feet.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:25:12 pm »
Wearing beach shoes in the spa, and socks to bed................ *sigh* just what is this world coming to  :-/
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:27:12 pm »
we run for it, but it makes the feet sting.  I like the carpet idea, but after a big snow fall it would hard to shovel it all out.  I would just get a pair of flip flops or crocs with some traction.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:30:36 am »
I went out to check my tub this morning after using it last night and there was some slippery ice on my deck.  I am going to get a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to put down.  I will remove it when it snows.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:22 am »
We wear beach shoes in the hot tub to get from the deck to the tub. We just leave them on and get wearing them. No more cold feet.

Great plan!   :) I won't wear them IN the spa, but I will grab them and put them on in the spa before I get out.  I was amazed at how frozen they got (don't usually wear flip flops when it's below freezing!) and indeed, I could barely get my feet in them as I was trying to towel off.  

Santa was going to bring fuzzy slippers for everyone, but as Santa was shopping around, Santa noticed that the bottoms were questionable--possibly slippery on wet/icy surfaces.

I may have to return them now, and stick to the submersible flip flops--again, a great plan, :) and I really don't need a pile of giant, fuzzy slippers in the house.

2005 HS Vanguard

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:07:54 pm »
if they are clean, once your about to get out.  dip them in the tub to warm them up  That is what we do.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 04:57:32 pm »
Get the skates out.
that give you good grip on ice

;) ;) ;) ;)

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:00:04 pm »
I looked at some mats at Sams club. The kind that is about 3/4" thick with large draining holes in them. I have seen them behind more than a couple bars. I wonder how they would work?

anne

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 10:14:30 pm »
I looked at some mats at Sams club. The kind that is about 3/4" thick with large draining holes in them. I have seen them behind more than a couple bars. I wonder how they would work?

We had mats that would fit that description at a restaurant I worked at years ago, and we keep them now in the kennel end of the hospital. They're great for reducing slippage in that context. Two possible problems come to mind: 1)they were very heavy (but they were very large in square footage, too) and 2) they might freeze and crack.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 10:14:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42