What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 4 months and counting  (Read 3388 times)

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
4 months and counting
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:16:12 pm »
  Well it is down to 4 months till I could get my spa  :D
I have to build a deck for it so I am trying to figure out how to do it with my exsisting deck. My wife thinks I am nuts for using pieces of wood to outline how the deck will look.

Hot Tub Forum

4 months and counting
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:16:12 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: 4 months and counting
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:22:48 pm »
You might want to re think you current layout.  In the winter, you're gonna want that tub close to the door. MAybe move the tables to the new area, and shore up an existing section that's close to the door?  

/just spitballin'
07 Caldera Geneva

Davidny

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:18:14 pm »
Outlining the spa zone is very smart, this way you know if it will be in the way and if you will like the layout over time (at least until the snow covers it). The only thing missing is a kiddle pool as a mock hot tub  ;)

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 04:39:10 pm »
You might want to re think you current layout.  In the winter, you're gonna want that tub close to the door. MAybe move the tables to the new area, and shore up an existing section that's close to the door?  

/just spitballin'

I do not mind the cold weather. I am happy it finally got cold here in the Pocono's.
LET IT SNOW!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
It will only be about 30 - 35 feet to where the tub will be. If I put it in the other section where the table is, that only makes it 10-15 feet closer. Not worth the hassle of shoreing up that section. Plus I have a better view of the night sky from the new section.

tileman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 04:39:44 pm »

/just spitballin'

Drew that is very good advice, I wish I would have thought of it first though. ;)

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 09:36:45 pm »
Whatever spa you decide on, butt it to your existing deck on that 45 degree angle section. Build the spa deck so the spa sticks up above your existing deck by 18"-20". That makes the top of the spa chair height, perfect for getting in and out of the tub.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

jgirvine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:51:29 am »
I do not mind the cold weather.
It will only be about 30 - 35 feet to where the tub will be.

Remember what you just wrote above and then try this.

Wait till there is snow on your deck and nice and cold.  Get your suit on, grab a towel, run outside about 30 feet from the door, mimic brushing the snow off the invisible spa cover, mimic lifting the invisible spa cover, lay the towel down on a chair so it will get good and cold, get in the invisible spa, now mimic geting back out, wrap the towel around you and run back in the house...... so, how did that "only" 30 feet feel? ;) ;) ;)  Oh, I forgot, get the better half to do this with you..... ;D ;D ;D

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
[/quote]

IIt will only be about 30 - 35 feet to where the tub will be. [/quote]

It's a long way to run naked in the cold when the unexpected company pulls in the drive interrupting your evening soak!

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:59:44 am »
I do not mind the cold weather.
It will only be about 30 - 35 feet to where the tub will be.

Remember what you just wrote above and then try this.

Wait till there is snow on your deck and nice and cold.  Get your suit on, grab a towel, run outside about 30 feet from the door, mimic brushing the snow off the invisible spa cover, mimic lifting the invisible spa cover, lay the towel down on a chair so it will get good and cold, get in the invisible spa, now mimic geting back out, wrap the towel around you and run back in the house...... so, how did that "only" 30 feet feel? ;) ;) ;)  Oh, I forgot, get the better half to do this with you..... ;D ;D ;D

I have already did part of it. I have gone out and walked to where the tub will be with just my robe and slippers on(we have had no snow yet but temps in the 20's). My wife thought I was nuts but told her I wanted to see how it would feel getting out to the tub. She tried it also and we both thought it was not that bad. I do plan on getting one of those deck heaters. So this would be my plan of attack.
      I would go out first fully clothed and wipe the snow off, remove the cover and turn on the deck heater. When back inside I will remove my clothes, put on my thick terry cloth hooded robe, head out to the tub, hang my robe up under the heater and hop into the tub. My wife would then join me. ::)

As for being interupted if guests would arrive while we are in the tub, We most likely be using the tub after the kids are in bed so it would be late and I doubt anyone would be visiting that late.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:35 am »
First of all H823, you have a fantastic deck setup. I'm envious that I don't have one on my home. Secondly, it appears that you have thought out the addition of a spa and it's location quite thoroughly. Go with what best suits you and your family rather than listening to the wimps like drew who think a little cold weather will discourage the use of the tub (located away a little further away from the house vs right outside the door) for hearty, manly men like you and I.

Seriously, ours is also about 20' from our patio door so we have a short walk as well. On nights when the temps have been in the 20's, the cold factor is only uncomfortable during closeup after soaking. As we don't yet have our Christmas terrycloth robes yet, I have to add my chems and close the cover just with a towel draped over myself. That does get a little chilly; but with a heavyweight robe, I doubt it will be a concern. The process only takes about 1 minute max.

Look at the situation this way. If you do move your spa next to the door, then your table gets moved out further away from the house which means carrying food, tableware, etc further. This may aggravate your wife which may result in poorer relations which may result in less you know what. Bottom line, ask your wife where the spa should be placed! I've said my piece.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 10:14:27 am »
I agree....

Maybe try to re-configure it slightly closer to the house especially if you live in a cold weather area.

The dripping wet walk when it's freezing outside may be ok to you, but to others like guests/kids/elderly relatives it may not be the best situation.

But what-ever you decide it looks like you will have a wonderul and beautiful spa environment to enjoy for many years!

:)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:14:42 am by Zep »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 10:25:41 am »
Go with what best suits you and your family rather than listening to the wimps like drew who think a little cold weather will discourage the use of the tub (located away a little further away from the house vs right outside the door) for hearty, manly men like you and I.

Seriously, ours is also about 20' from our patio door so we have a short walk as well. On nights when the temps have been in the 20's, the cold factor is only uncomfortable during closeup after soaking. As we don't yet have our Christmas terrycloth robes yet, I have to add my chems and close the cover just with a towel draped over myself. That does get a little chilly; but with a heavyweight robe, I doubt it will be a concern. The process only takes about 1 minute max.

Thanks Wes.  ;)

HPutt, don't listen to foolish guys like Wes who don't even know enough to buy an insulated tub.  ;) and consider all possibilites before setting nail to wood. Although it sounds like you have. Like Wes,I am envious of your deck.  
 :D

Hey Wes, I thought the Artics were usally a bromine tub? Are you using Dichlor? If so,  premeasure the dose and put it in an old test strip bottle, and take it out with you.  Before I get out of the tub, I fold half the cover down,
add the dichlor, set the clean cycle, and then hop out.

Thanks to Dr Spa's hurricane strap,( insert gratious promotion here)  I no longer need to lock the back side of my cover, and on very chilly nights, I only lock down the one center strap (later, after I'm out of my post soak ephopria, I'll button up the other two clasps.)  It's nice.

For me, the wors thing is to have a great soak, be completely melted, and relaxed then stand out there, even for a few seconds, fiddling with buckles, and chems.  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:27:38 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 12:36:17 pm »
I agree....

Maybe try to re-configure it slightly closer to the house especially if you live in a cold weather area.

The dripping wet walk when it's freezing outside may be ok to you, but to others like guests/kids/elderly relatives it may not be the best situation.

But what-ever you decide it looks like you will have a wonderul and beautiful spa environment to enjoy for many years!

:)

Thanks Zep and Drew for your concerns.  :)

I have had some time to think of where and how I want to place the spa. I was thinking that posting this may produce a response about something I have not thought of but it seems that the only concern is being to far from the house durring cold weather.  
     If anyone but my wife and I do not like it, they do not have to go in.  This is being put in for us. :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 12:36:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42