What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: LA Spas & Artesian Island Series  (Read 7343 times)

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
Re: LA Spas & Artesian Island Series
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 05:49:50 pm »
Good thinking. You and I are on the exact same page! Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 05:49:50 pm »

Bama

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 07:24:13 pm »
my 2 cents........

I love my LA spa!!!  We shopped Sundance, Cal Spa, and some others, but LA Spa won.  We had one of the corner jets changed to shoulder jets for an extra $90.oo.   It is well worth it.  The jets hit so hard, I have to turn them down, but hey better to do that than not have enough pressure, right?
Our La Spa dealer is very close.  I think that is important.  The dealership and salesperson was terrific.   We are really happy with the fact that it heats up and doesn't drop in temp while we are soaking, and we stay in for 45 minutes to an hour each soak.  
We bought the textured tub, because they don't scratch as easily, something to consider.  
Depending on what you want on the tub... pricing changes greatly with all the goodies added.  We didn't get anything extra in the way of music, lights, and such, and we like it that way.  But, to each his own!
Be sure to wet test... the seats of the LA Spa are ergonomically designed to help hold you in the seats.    In other spas, my petited body was flushed to the surface.
It wasn't relaxing at all to "hang on".    The lounger is awesome, but then not all people like their loungers.  We love ours, in fact it's our favorite seats. (we have two loungers in our LA Spa Paradise H-2.
Good luck

brentp

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »
Ok - deal is done (I Think)  ;)

Unit will be ordered.

Artesian Antigua  42jet/2pump version.

Includes:

Delivery
Microban if we desire (still need to pick color tomorrow)
Durawood Cabinet
WhisperPure 24/7 Circ Pump
Standard Ozone
Multi Color LED Light
Upgraded Cover (2lb, 5/4" tapered)
Stairs (ABS)
Hydraulic Cover Lifer
Startup Chemicals

Total Price $6250. (no tax state)

Good local SPA dealer and we trust the Artesian name from our research.  Going a bit on faith for the fit, . . . but sure we will be happy in the end.

Would love to here comments if we did alright on this price.  If there are any Artesian dealers that could post the 'list price' for this set up I would appreciate it.

And - thanks for all the help here!

wesj53

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 01:10:01 pm »
I don't mean to alarm you brent, but I re-read your posts and it appears you didn't wet test the Artesian. Is that true? We wet tested the Grand Cayman (another Island series model) and the main reason we didn't like it was that the seats were ALL VERY UPRIGHT, and one of the corner seats was too shallow for me to fit underneath the collar (which the Antigua has 2). I am only 5'11" so I'm not extremely tall but this may be of concern to you as well. I would strongly suggest finding any unit in the Island series to at least sit in dry to make sure it's going to be comfortable for you.

In regards to the price, yours sounds fair, but I have found that you really can't compare prices on a nationwide basis due to a variety of factors. If you do, you're going to drive yourself crazy. IMO, just compare units in your area and then decide on what you think fits you the best, is the best manufactured, and gives the best value. Here in suburban Chicago, we got a quote of $7500 for the Cayman for the 62 jet package (3 pumps) with ozonator, circ pump, stainless steel jets, steps, and cover.

brentp

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 06:09:11 pm »
I don't mean to alarm you brent, but I re-read your posts and it appears you didn't wet test the Artesian. Is that true? We wet tested the Grand Cayman (another Island series model) and the main reason we didn't like it was that the seats were ALL VERY UPRIGHT, and one of the corner seats was too shallow for me to fit underneath the collar (which the Antigua has 2). I am only 5'11" so I'm not extremely tall but this may be of concern to you as well. I would strongly suggest finding any unit in the Island series to at least sit in dry to make sure it's going to be comfortable for you.

Yea, . . . this is the only concerning part of this purchase.  Through a round about way, we are comfortable with our decision.  We did get to dry test a big brother (Cayman [I believe] or possibly one out of the Gold Line).  It was the only Artesian SPA the dealer had in the store.  We will get to verify tomorrow when we close the deal.  We were also looking at a used Gold Opal, so while we were there, we got to check out the jets pressure with our hands and it compared very very well to anything we had felt in stores.  I wasn't going into that SPA however, . . . it had not been used in a long time, the guy filled it that morning, and when I started to turn on jets and run the diverters, lots of gunk came out.  :)

From the line drawings on Artesian's website, the 42 jet version only has a single 'full seat' with neck jetting.  The other seat is converted to a standard type SPA seat with a very nice jet package.  So, . . . should be ok for that seat, . . . I'm a lounger and only my wife is likely to sit there when she is looking for a neck message.  If she doesn't fit - that would be something!

So, . . . yes this is a risk, . . . one we have decided to take.  As for value, . . . like many, I am just trying to make sure we got a good deal.  Financially, this blows away anything close that we were coming up with locally.   A Caldera Martinique @$6500 (without stairs/hydraulic lifter and some of the other options) was the closest - I think the Antique is better equipped, not as good warrantee, but just as good a brand.  Everything else in this class was in easily in the $7 & $8K range - even 'on sale'.  Going down to a 2/3 person got us back into the $6Ks range, . . . so this became a compromise.  

Hope we don't regret this, . . . but cost is a consideration, and I think we did pretty good overall.  Only time will tell.

Anyone have any data on what I listed goes for typically in your area?

tileman

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 07:22:07 pm »
Sorry if you have already mentioned this, but why are you rushing into the purchase?

There are no good enough reasons to not wet test a spa before purchasing,IMO.
If your dealer doesn't have one on the floor. Tell him you'll give them a deposit and have them ship you one for a wet test. You like, you buy. You don't like, you don't buy and get your money back and now the dealer has more than one spa set up for wet testing. It's a win win.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 07:40:40 pm »
 Our base price for an 05 Antiqua was 6295.00  Anything Added. 300.00 for the synthetic sideing 250.00 for circ pump, 99.00 for the led light, 200.00 for micro ban shell, 300.00 for ozone,cover lift 199.00,  cover,chems,steps and delivery no charge.

Of course all that is full retail and negotiable at time of closeing.    If you can get them to add micro ban go for as the colors do look brighter,otherwise I dont think its worth the cost nor do I think it really matters if its there or not.

All in all I would say its a great price for that spa and considering the price I showed you is based on a 2005 you did good.

wesj53

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 07:56:56 pm »
Forget about comparing prices with others here. I am convinced that is a waste of time unless you can find foks in the same market. I'm sure my prices here in Chicago are higher than in Columbus, OH for example just because the overall cost of living is higher. Stores have higher rents, pay more in salaries which means they have to charge more for product. It's simple economics.

But make sure you like the feel of the seats. The jets on the Artesians are great; you won't have any regrets there. Too bad, you couldn't move up to the Platinum Series. The Piper Glen is quite a nice product and the seats are a little larger and a bit more reclined. Let us know how things turn out regardless.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:58:06 pm by wesj53 »

brentp

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 07:59:25 pm »
Our base price for an 05 Antiqua was 6295.00  Anything Added. 300.00 for the synthetic sideing 250.00 for circ pump, 99.00 for the led light, 200.00 for micro ban shell, 300.00 for ozone,cover lift 199.00,  cover,chems,steps and delivery no charge.

Of course all that is full retail and negotiable at time of closeing.    If you can get them to add micro ban go for as the colors do look brighter,otherwise I dont think its worth the cost nor do I think it really matters if its there or not.

All in all I would say its a great price for that spa and considering the price I showed you is based on a 2005 you did good.

Thanks Jim, . . . exactly what I needed to know.

brentp

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 08:17:26 pm »
Sorry if you have already mentioned this, but why are you rushing into the purchase?

There are no good enough reasons to not wet test a spa before purchasing,IMO.
If your dealer doesn't have one on the floor. Tell him you'll give them a deposit and have them ship you one for a wet test. You like, you buy. You don't like, you don't buy and get your money back and now the dealer has more than one spa set up for wet testing. It's a win win.
Time is of the essense a bit.  We will be into snow season soon and will make delivery to the rear of the house very trying if we delay too long.  Plus, nothing like being in the tub on the first snow of the season.   :)

I'll talk to to the dealer on this one, . . . might work.  Only caveat is that I know that they no longer keep any Artesian in stock, . . . so they may not wish to do this.  They kept pushing the Vita/Reflections line to me.  Turns out they had lots of left overs from the fall state fair circuit.  But - this is worth a shot, . . . if they want the balance of the payment.

Thanks

brentp

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 08:22:53 pm »
Forget about comparing prices with others here. I am convinced that is a waste of time unless you can find foks in the same market. I'm sure my prices here in Chicago are higher than in Columbus, OH for example just because the overall cost of living is higher. Stores have higher rents, pay more in salaries which means they have to charge more for product. It's simple economics.
I hear you to some extent.  But, at least with cars there is a sticker on the window that tells you exactly what MSRP is.  This is the same regardless of where you live.  Some areas, car dealers have to add on and that is posted too, . . . but at least you know the starting point.  That's all I'm looking for in this case, a starting point to know if the deal really is a good deal.   :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 08:36:39 pm »
I have a Cayman, didn't wet test but did dry test.

They probably feel the same except for the fact the Antiqua is a 7'x7' not 8'x8'.

I will tell you from experience that if it has neck jets that would be the only seat that might be a concern, other than that - you'll be fine. Neck jet seats can feel different to different people. Dry test felt OK but being wet they do feel a little snug - not too bad but noticable. But I don't live in the spa and when I do go in it I find I tend not to use it that often ... but when I need a full neck message, I will use it.

The jets on the Island series are a little smaller than the Gold or Platinum but I will say that I prefer the jets with the air on - they seem to give a more vigorous message. This is not a function of being weak but I find just water is too soft for me - bigger jets may even be softer.

Is a wet test 100% nessesary - I would say no but I would say it's a nice way to find maybe a little more "perfect" tub. Will you be miserable because you didn't wet test - I would also say no - probably gonna love the soakin'.

dflearning

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 09:57:59 pm »
do you like you Arctic Spa, why did you purchase it over others brands? I am looking for a hot tubs myself.

dflearning

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 08:46:22 pm »
I have been doing some research and wet tests. I like the Artric but not the wood cabinet. I like BullFrog but do not want to switch around the jets seats so I do not want to mess with it. D1 was on 35 inches deep. So far the Sundance Optima is the best layout and tests great.

Vanguard

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 08:58:34 pm »
You'll have to let us know how it goes.  I hated to read the only concern was the fit of the spa for you.  That is the MAIN concern.  

If you have not wet tested and have any concern, you are playing with fire.  What will happen when you have it all delivered and it's not comfortable for you?

I'm not saying anything about your choice of LA - if you like it, fine - you just really need to know beyond doubt it'll fit you right.  That is a huge gamble.  If it doesn't fit right, you'll have an uncomfortable spa for a long time.

Did you buy your car without driving it?

I truly hope this works out for you.  I'm just concerned for you.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 08:58:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42