What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The New Setup or "How to upgrade a 93 Prodigy"  (Read 4354 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: The New Setup or "How to upgrade a 93 Prodigy"
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:49 am »
Silent Water:
I have a ton of Tulip Poplars here in Maryland.  I had previously had to remove a huge one that was in the back yard about 25 feet from the house.  The tree was incredibly tall and the trunk was over three feet in diameter.  This tree had been struck by lightning on two occassions (I guess because it was so tall).  The second strike caused a large arm to fall which hit the house causing the damage to the house roof and eave I mentioned earlier.  At that point, I figured I had to take it down.  

The other problem is that they make lousy firewood.  They burn like cardboard, so even though I had to take two of them down this year, it didn't help to replenish my firewood supply.  But they are beautiful trees, especially in the spring when they bloom with their "tulip" flowers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:17:12 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:49 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 07:53:25 am »
that looks so nice.  I would love to have that type of back drop while in the tub.  Absolutely wonderful!!!

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 09:41:38 am »
I have a ton of Tulip Poplars here in Maryland.

Looks like you've got a little bit of Carolinian Forest in your backyard.  That's fantastic.  Blue Beech as well?  Now there's good firewood.  Hard as nails and a real pain when it comes to splitting. :P

Ya. Not only did I grow up with a Tulip Tree in my back yard (it's still there and nearly 80 feet tall!), but my Dad instilled in me a real love of woodlands.  He's amazing - can identify trees in winter by their bark or buds - & often by the grain of the wood. When he retired he took up wood turning and has produced some amazing pieces over the years (bowls, mostly).  
As a kid it was never much fun to go winter wood cutting; the best part back then was the hot chocolate afterwards.  Funny how now I don't mind it so much! ;)

I've always wanted to build a house on the edge of a woodlot - but until my son's done school, we're staying put in the city.  Looks like you have the best of both worlds backing onto that gorgeous ravine!  With your set-up, how do you ever get anything done? I'd be out in that tub all the time. ;D
...because integrity's the key

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 09:55:07 am »
Silent Water:
When I had that huge poplar removed a few years ago, there was also a dead standing tree that they cut down.  It turned out that the dead tree was Red Oak.  The tree service guy strongly advised that I keep the red oak for the fireplace.  Boy, was he ever right.  Since the tree had been dead for a while, the wood was already cured. That wood lasted about two seasons and was the best burning wood I have ever seen.  I have been eyeing a few other oaks on the spread, but they are too healthy and good looking to cut down for firewood  :)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 09:55:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42