What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tiger River Caspian  (Read 9662 times)

hotstuffbaby

Tiger River Caspian
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:16:05 am »
Hey All-
You are one talkative bunch, so I know it's weird when no one replied to my inquiry about the Sundance Majesta.  My original inquiry still has 0 replies.  Ahhhh well, I am hesitant due to at least one review I read here about the dealership in my area.  

On to the next!  I do know there are several active posters out there who not only own one of the spas in the Tiger River line, but some of you who also deal this line under the Hot Spring name.  Due to some recent wet testing, I have almost ruled out the lounge option for my first hot tub purchase as it's hard for me to stay in place without floating.  So now, I am considering one of the Tiger River tubs rather than Hot Spring premium spas in order to save a bit of money and still get good bang for the buck.  Without all the bells and whistles in the new Aria, and maybe ruling out the Envoy and Vanguard and going with a slightly smaller, less expensive tub instead, I've determined that I really like the seating set-up in the Tiger River Caspian.  Even though it lacks the Moto-Massage and Soothing Seven jets, it still has a good number of jets in different seating configurations.  I like the bench seat, the deep captain's seat and the elevated foot dome with reachable foot jets from any seat position!  

Here's my problem.  My local dealer can't find anyone in his dealership who has this tub as a floor model with water in it.  He's got one on display, but it is not located inside where they have electricity available, so it cannot be filled and wet tested.  I guess I have to take his word for it.  Although I sat in the dry one the other night, I REALLY want to wet test before purchasing, so I can try out all the seats and if I can brace myself well enough to stay in place by pushing against the foot dome.

So, here's what I'm asking.  Anyone out there have this model and want to talk about their experience with it?  I like the company, seems like a good warranty, and a good middle-to-top end reliable spa without all the fancy extras, but still is a well-made therapy tub.  That's my take on it.    It's my first purchase and I really want to feel satisfied considering it's a big investment.  Anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hot Stuff Baby

p.s. The faux Flintstone rock surface on the Marquis display cabinetry looks (I'll refrain from using the word hideous... after all, Marquis tubs are made not too many miles from here...)... well uhm, shall I say "uncomfortable"?  What about climbing in and over all that?  Me?  I'll go with the lovely cedar anyday staring out at my treed landscape than trying to artifically fit into a "modified desert landscape" atmosphere here in the Pacific Northwest!  To each his own!

Hot Tub Forum

Tiger River Caspian
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:16:05 am »

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Re: Tiger River Caspian
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 02:49:37 am »
Hot Stuff
Saw your comment about Majesta and replied to it before reading this one.. I forgot to mention the foot jets!  Foot jets are one of the other main reasons we decided on Optima.  Not only do they give you an awesome massage... they DEFINITELY help you stay in place.   When we wet tested Hot Spring I wanted to love them.  They are beautiful spas.. Each time we stopped in the dealer knocked $500 off the price... but for whatever reason I could not stay seated.   The jets blew me right out of the seat.  Loungers, same thing.  Fighting to stay "put" is NOT relaxing.  The foot jets (and ridges on Caldera) fix all that.  You can lock in ...

As far as Caspian.. Drewstar has a Caspian so he'll probably chime in on the model.  It looks like you get a great spa at a excellent price point.  We looked at a Caspian on a road trip to Buffalo (to see Artesians).. but it was closing time and the dealer was rude to us so that was the extent of it.    

Now re. wet testing - now don't get mad at me here but - you should ABSOLUTELY wet test before buying.......  Dealers move hot tubs around ALL THE TIME!   If you asked and he was not willing to set it up you to wet test... shame on him.    Tell him you won't buy without wet testig.  If he still says no move on.  IMHO he's being lazy.   I wanted to wet test a Caldera Niagara (after testing similar sized stereo spa with a lounger) and told I could try a Geneva (lounger) model... 'its almost the same' they said.  Needless to say we didn't buy the Niagara.  And since it was 1,500 cheaper than the optima I was an extremely motivated buyer.   Yes, models are going to similar.. but this is a luxury item. .. and if you're spending thousands of your hard-earned dollars on a spa, you should be able to see how it fits you.  It's like sitting in a new car but the dealer won't allow you to drive it.  Who would do that?   Now I know there are lot of folks who bought w/out wet testing, and there are dealers with a 'no wet test' policy... but I think it's critical to wet test.  If I had dropped 8-9K on a Hot Spring w/out wet testing, set up my backyard,  paid boku bucks to get the electrical work done... gotten the thing installed ... and then I found out that I had issues staying seated........... I would be beyond furious.     Ok I'll stop.. I think you get the idea.   ;)

tileman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 06:08:21 am »

Now re. wet testing - now don't get mad at me here but - you should ABSOLUTELY wet test before buying.......  Dealers move hot tubs around ALL THE TIME!   If you asked and he was not willing to set it up you to wet test... shame on him.    Tell him you won't buy without wet testig.  If he still says no move on.  IMHO he's being lazy.    ;)

Took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:50:25 am »
If one of my sales staff said, "No, we can't fill that spa it's in the wrong place," I'd be a bit unsettled, because we'll move spas all over if some wants to soak. It's just how we do things.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:03:46 am »
Hi,  We have had the Tiger River Caspian for approx 1 1/2 yrs.  We are very happy with it and we are happy with the electric bill which is about $20-$25 extra in the winter months.  We live in Michigan so it gets really cold here, this morining it is 29.  The jets are very powerful and the foot jets are great.  The seating is also good, we have had 5 grown adults in at one time and there was room for all.  We have two of our friends that have also purchased the Caspian after they seen and went in ours.  Also we have had no problems with the spa at all, would purchase again a Tiger River.  I also researched all the tubs and happy with our choice.  Good Luck, Lynnette  :) :) :)

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:38:33 am »
Hi, Hotstuff. (Normally I'd get slapped for saying that! ;D)

Ask the dealer how badly he wants your business.  If you let him know that you're serious about buying, then he should juggle tubs to accomodate you.  Asking to wet test a tub before deciding is by no means unreasonable.
Good luck!
...because integrity's the key

anne

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
nothing new to say here except to chime in to say that expecting to wet test before purchasing is totally reasonable. Perhaps your dealer just needs a little encouragement that you are planning to BUY.
Dance like nobody's watching

hotstuffbaby

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 04:30:06 pm »
Hi All-

Me again.  I read through your replies this morning, and it's good to get the feedback.  I've been thinking the same thing.  The weird thing is... this dealer does seem to be a good guy and has been very accomodating so far.  He knows that I am ready and eager to buy.  I even put money down on another new Hot Spring spa two weeks ago and have come back since to wet-test other spas, but I changed my mind on the original purchase because after thinking overnight on it, I decided that it was too much money and hadn't yet wet-tested a spa with the lounger.  After doing so, I just couldn't see buying the Aria or the Envoy, which were the spas that interested me most.  

In the last two weeks, I started looking around even more and asked him instead about the Tiger River models as I decided they were enough bells and whistles for me and the cost was more in my price range. (even though I didn't really mention a particular price range).  I sat in the dry Caspian they have on site and even asked him to call to see about if anyone had the Caspian to wet-test.  He did that and got back to me the next day.  He has been very prompt about getting back to me with any of my questions, so that's why I was perplexed when he said he "wished" he could put water in that tub for me.  He knows I truly like the Hot Springs line and that I am ready to spend money.  

My feeling is I think he thinks I am a push-over buyer though, because he hasn't come down in price even though I said I had decided that I would not spend the amount I had agreed to earlier.  (that probably was my first mistake!)  True, the new 2007 Aria model was over $10 grand with the whole package set-up and delivery and I initially jumped without thinking it through entirely because it was a "sale" weekend (I know, I know... I have since realized that was absolutely ridiculous) and mostly because I was tired of researching and looking and just wanted to make a decision at the moment. After freaking out at that amount of money all day long, I called him back and said I just can't spend that kind of money without doing more wet-testing and homework.  So now, I'm sitting here comparing the Sundance Majesta to the Tiger River Caspian.  I'm going to the Sundance dealer this weekend to see what models I can wet-test there.  The only thing is I'm a little worried about that dealer's reputation from something I read about them here.  The actual location of the dealer is different than the one mentioned by that poster, but in general it's not a spa dealer, but a plumbing supply company and that worries me, just how much support they would be.  I guess I'll find out when I go see them!

Stay tuned to the saga, and I'll let you know whether a) the HS dealer will move that tub for me so I can wet-test the Caspian, and if he will come down in price at all, or b) if I can find some kind of great Sundance model I can't live without and if I feel I can trust these plumbing supply guys.  In the meantime, winter's going by and I am have nighttime "wet dreams" (my attempt at a joke!) about hut tubbing under the trees in my backyard.  I won't jump into it again though, not without being certain I am making the right decision.  Reading from what everyone here posts is helping me narrow down the field tremendously though.  You all are GREAT (if not just a little sick too....  ;o)...)

Hot Stuff BABY!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 04:37:32 pm »
He should fill the spa.  If he doesn't, take your business elsewhere.  Sometimes dealers have to actually work to make a sale.  If they're not willing to accomodate this small request, then they probably won't accomodate larger ones.

Good luck!  The Caspian is a wonderful spa.

Termy
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 05:13:46 pm »
Who is the dealer?  Where do you live?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hotstuffbaby

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 06:37:06 pm »
Sorry, but that is secret, priviledged information.  Maybe when I make the request again, if he still refuses, I'll be mad enough to reveal, but I'm going to give him another chance to be good.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 06:58:11 pm »
Don't not buy it from them because he can't provide a wet test. That is ridiculous!
If the price is right and you like the spa, go for it..
Don't worry about the dealer. It's a quality spa. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Dealers are NOT as important everyone on this forum makes them seem.

Remember this forum is loaded with dealers, so careful reading...

tileman

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:22:33 pm »
Don't not buy it from them because he can't provide a wet test. That is ridiculous!
Don't worry about the dealer. It's a quality spa. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Dealers are NOT as important everyone on this forum makes them seem.

So you're right and the rest of the forum is wrong. I'm so sure.
I'm not a dealer and I find your advice to be RIDICULOUS!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 07:33:13 pm by tileman »

tileman

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 07:59:22 pm »
Hi All-

Me again.  I read through your replies this morning, and it's good to get the feedback.  I've been thinking the same thing.  The weird thing is... this dealer does seem to be a good guy and has been very accomodating so far.  He knows that I am ready and eager to buy.  I even put money down on another new Hot Spring spa two weeks ago and have come back since to wet-test other spas, but I changed my mind on the original purchase because after thinking overnight on it, I decided that it was too much money and hadn't yet wet-tested a spa with the lounger.  After doing so, I just couldn't see buying the Aria or the Envoy, which were the spas that interested me most.  

It sounds to me that he knows if you wet test the Caspian you'll buy  it and he's still trying to get you to buy a more expensive spa as you were going to buy one before. So he thinks he'll be able to get you back up there again and make a much bigger profit. Just my opinion on the situation.

anne

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 08:03:46 pm »

How can you say that????? Sure, it is a quality spa, but who is to say that it is comfortable to her?

And your conspiracy theories about dealers gets really old.....even to a non-dealer. (That would be me, in case you think that all of us are undercover agents for our brands.)
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 08:03:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42