What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: low to 0 bromine levels  (Read 3141 times)

kitisi

low to 0 bromine levels
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:40:04 pm »
My tub laid dormant for 4 years and I just fired it up last week and Im having a brain fade in regards to a chemical problem, I put in the reserve packets (I use a bromine system) and I have the floater going opened up more than in the past. its been over a week and I just tested the bromine level and it shows almost 0. I have an ozinator, how do I know if it is working, how can I check it, also i use bromine tablets and they are 4 years old do they go bad, they appear to be in good shape and smell like they always did. Any help would be appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

low to 0 bromine levels
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:40:04 pm »

tileman

Re: low to 0 bromine levels
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:42:42 pm »
I have an ozinator, how do I know if it is working, how can I check it

What brand and model spa do you have?
The reason I ask is that some tubs have an indicator light on the control panel and some don't. Either way, you can tell by the bubbles coming out of the ozone port.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:58:10 pm by tileman »

kitisi

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:56:04 pm »
Jacuzzi brand, triage-plus made in 1994, i do believe there is no indicator on the control panel, where does the bubbles come out? The ozone port located?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:05:25 pm by kitisi »

IDW

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:03:34 pm »
For any ozonator, the most obvious way to tell if your generator is working is to look for the bluish glow (ultra violet light). However, just because you see the glow, that doesn't mean you have ozone running at a safe concentration level. The life expectancy of these units is 9,000 HOURS , or approximately 2-3 years of normal operating cycles .If you have a glow, but believe your ozonator is older than 2-3 years, CHANGE IT! After 9,000 hours, the mercury inside the lamp vaporizes which causes the concentration of ozone to drop significantly.

If it is a corona discharge style that has a small viewing window (rectangular) you will also be able to see the glow. The glowing line is the actual indicator of how much ozone you have left. The line fades across the chip as the ozone concentration drops. If you see no line, you have no ozone
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:04:29 pm by IDW »

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:10:04 pm »
Jacuzzi brand, triage-plus made in 1994, i do believe there is no indicator on the control panel, where does the bubbles come out? The ozone port located?

It should be on the wall of your footwell towards the bottom of the tub. Atleast that's where mine is at on my Jacuzzi.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:24 pm »
Odds are ozone generator is not working.  Could be there is excess "junk" in the pipes creating extra bromine demand.  Consider superchlorinating.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:02:53 pm »
You can google and find your tub and the location of the ozonator. The little pipe gets clogged very easily. Once you fine it, its pretty simple to see the plastic tube running from it. That what you want to unplug, it it looks like it has gunk in it. Don't put your mouth on it!  Doh!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:30 pm »
First off, Galen, good job on 60 posts in one week!!!!  That is incredible.

Second, I would add more bromine reserve.  I stopped using the packages because I find that they are not enough for my size tub.  So I purchased spa boss granular bromine and calculated how much to add to my water at start up for a reserve.

Just my two cents.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42