What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: shock with diclor or mps?  (Read 4282 times)

mcmishka

shock with diclor or mps?
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:36 pm »
I need to do a weekly shock and wanted to know the best method.  I have a 360 gallon tub.  If I use diclor, how much should I use?  If I use MPS, how much should I use?  Which method is best?????     Thanks.              Karen

Hot Tub Forum

shock with diclor or mps?
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:36 pm »

Spiderman

Re: shock with diclor or mps?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:53:11 pm »
It should tell you on the container how much to use per gallons of water.  I prefer dichlor to MPS as I'm not a fan of MPS.  When I shock with dichlor I use 3-4 TBS for a 225 gallon tub.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:58 pm »
Wow, 3-4 Tablespoons for a 225 gal? I use 2 tablespoons for 580 gal.  I like the dichlor because my water PH seems to be more stable. Now if just one person is in then I use just one tablespoon, after a session.

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:07:10 pm »
 When I shock with dichlor I use 3-4 TBS for a 225 gallon tub.

:o Are sure your not adding to much? :o
2 TBSP of dichor brings my 336 gallon spa with from a 0ppm to a 10-12ppm. Unless your trying to decontaminate your spa I think 3-4 TBS is a little excessive.

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:44 pm »
I need to do a weekly shock and wanted to know the best method.  I have a 360 gallon tub.  If I use diclor, how much should I use?  If I use MPS, how much should I use?  Which method is best?????     Thanks.              Karen

First let me start by saying both ways with adequate(?) amounts will eliminate CC.
(The main reason for a shock) TC-FC=CC. Usually when CC is .5 or more it's time for a shock. Sometimes however depending on usage it might not get that high for a while. So a good rule of thumb is ATLEAST once every other week.
  I shock with both personally. Only once a month I dichlor shock and the other 3 times I use mps. I do this because I feel my need for a superchlorination is decreased due to my light bather load and my daily post soak dichlor dose.
  The amount of Renew by Leisure Time(mps) is 2oz per 250 gallons.The amount of dichlor used is 10 times the amount of CC.
   i.e.- If your tubs CC is .5 after one week you only need to add  enough dichlor to reach a 5 ppm FC. This is roughly only 2 tsp for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:41:00 pm by tileman »

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:39:27 pm »
mcmishka,

Tilemans advise about amounts is correct.  The big advantage to shocking with MPS is that you can use the tub 1/2 hour later.  If you shock with dichlor it could take a couple of days for the residual to drop down to a usable level.  I use MPS normally but have started to shock with dichlor about once a month when I know we won't be in the tub for a couple days, I like the idea of super chlorination once a month.  Thanks have to go out to Vinny for that advise
Bullfrog 451

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:47:59 pm »
[
First let me start by saying both ways with adequate(?) amounts will eliminate CC.
(The main reason for a shock) TC-FC=CC. Usually when CC is .5 or more it's time for a shock. Sometimes however depending on usage it might not get that high for a while. So a good rule of thumb is ATLEAST once every other week.
  I shock with both personally. Only once a month I dichlor shock and the other 3 times I use mps. I do this because I feel my need for a superchlorination is decreased due to my light bather load and my daily post soak dichlor dose.
  The amount of Renew by Leisure Time(mps) is 2oz per 250 gallons.The amount of dichlor used is 10 times the amount of CC.
   i.e.- If your tubs CC is .5 after one week you only need to add  enough dichlor to reach a 5 ppm FC. This is roughly only 2 tsp for me.

I appreciate your thorough example. (last paragraph)  I have "known" this, yet didn't really "get it".  As per the pledge I made in one of my past posts, I will do the math!

With winter finally arriving to my area on Wednesday, I do NOT want to be having the cover open for hours, trying to fix water care issues that I should have been able to prevent to begin with.

Your wording and number example helped things to sink in a bit better this evening. :)
2005 HS Vanguard

tileman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:58:24 pm »
I appreciate your thorough example. (last paragraph)  I have "known" this, yet didn't really "get it".  As per the pledge I made in one of my past posts, I will do the math!

With winter finally arriving to my area on Wednesday, I do NOT want to be having the cover open for hours, trying to fix water care issues that I should have been able to prevent to begin with.

Your wording and number example helped things to sink in a bit better this evening. :)

Your very welcome Kervis. :)
Thanks for all the kind words. If you ever need any advice feel free to PM me.

CHAD

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:58:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42