What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pop-up speakers  (Read 8457 times)

hotstuffbaby

pop-up speakers
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:46:56 am »
I've read a few comments here long ago about those pop-up speakers on hot tubs and how well they do.  I've seen comments from "no problem, they're great!" to "I've had nothing but trouble with them and they have gotten real rusty and corroded" - (I probably shouldn't quote, because those are MY interpretations!)

Butt.... to those of you with experience and history with these, what is your estimation of the sound and the longevity of these types of speakers?

Hot Tub Forum

pop-up speakers
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:46:56 am »

tileman

Re: pop-up speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:05:39 am »
I've read a few comments here long ago about those pop-up speakers on hot tubs and how well they do.  I've seen comments from "no problem, they're great!" to "I've had nothing but trouble with them and they have gotten real rusty and corroded" - (I probably shouldn't quote, because those are MY interpretations!)

Butt.... to those of you with experience and history with these, what is your estimation of the sound and the longevity of these types of speakers?

I personally don't own a spa with them but when I was in the dealers looking to by a spa I heard them. Off the top of my head I recall Caldera's, Jacuzzi's, and Catallina's. All sounded about the same and were alright IMO. I wouldn't spend the extra money for them though. Unless they come standard I'd pass as you can get a much better quality sound from Bose's outdoor speakers at 1/2 the price.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:25:49 am »
I have pop up speakers. They happened to be on the tub that was already on the store floor. They are nice but I will have to agree with Tileman. You can get great sounding outdoor speakers for less money. I would be careful with the mounting. The higher you put them the more likely your neighbors will hear them. I live out in the country and don't have to worry about it.  

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 08:57:43 am »
My tub had a Bose speaker option. It wasn't cheap, (I think all of the spa manufacturers stereo options are grossly overpriced), but it does sound great...

[/img]
Bullfrog 562

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:09:29 am »
Hotstuffbaby-

What brand of spa do you have that your are having trouble with the pop ups?

My Optima has them, and the pop mechanisms are fine- no rust or corrosion, and the speakers sound and look great.  I dont' see them failing anytime in the near future base on how they've been the past four years or so that I've owned the spa.

I suppose it depends on your spa maker- I'm sure some use better quality components than others.  

Brewman

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 07:30:47 pm »
i try to get away from all the noise, so i pass on those

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:23:00 am »
The evolution of spa stereo speakers is like this. The first design was a "dog ear" hump in the corner of the spa with a speaker mounted in it. Very problematic with covers. A couple of years later, the pop ups. These made the spas look much nicer and covers easier to produce and install for spas with stereos. The next generation...no more pop ups! Of course HotSpring doesn't do the pop ups since they use the transducer method, but with next years offering from Jacuzzi, I think you all will be very impressed. To the best of my recollection, as I looked at the Sundace offerings, they are sticking with the pop ups. If you like the stero built into your spa, go for it. If you'd rather do the out door Bose® speaker system, go that route. Either way, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the out come. FWIW stereo problems account for less than 5% of our warranty calls,
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

nicker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 09:48:23 am »
well dependin on age of you tub wouldnt' they be warranty?

My honest opionon on that sound systems, tv's etc. in tubs is just way over priced.  NOT worth it one bit.  As others have said.  But some very nice out door speakers that sound better last longer.   TV's in spas is another stupid idea.   Really how long will they last.

Just my opions how ever. I bought a tub to relax and get away from all the day to day bullshit not to surround my self back in it.

anne

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 02:37:24 pm »
Nicker, I could not agree with you more.
Dance like nobody's watching

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 05:58:45 am »
I've got the stereo option with the popup speakers on my Cameo.  I've had it a little over a year with no problems.   We actually use it more than I expected and it does sound great.  It is just another one of those personal preference things.

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 12:32:16 am »
I have the pop-up speakers on a Jacuzzi 385 and am very pleased with them.  The sound is good and it is nice having the sound come at you from ear height.  I use the stereo most of the time.  I enjoy CD's, FM music, and have enjoyed listening to sports and talk radio stations on the AM side.  It's nice because the speakers and the system are all contained right in the hot tub with no need to bring out stereo equipment or turn on anything inside the house (I do usually bring out the remote control).

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:53:30 pm »
I too have a first generation Jacuzzi (J-370) with pop-up speakers and don't really see how they could ever get "rusty" or coroded as they are mostly plastic.  Mine have been more than fine and still sound great and for those times when no sound is desired they easily slide back into the shell.  Seems to me to be the best of both worlds.  I hope the original poster elaborates on her spa because it sounds like that is the problem and the mfg sould repair/repalce them under warranty for her unless she lives at the ocean or something and the salt water has eatned through them prematurely.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:05:51 pm »
 I hope the original poster elaborates on her spa because it sounds like that is the problem and the mfg sould repair/repalce them under warranty for her unless she lives at the ocean or something and the salt water has eatned through them prematurely.

She was not ellaborrating on her own experience but rather on the comments she read from other posters in the past.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:13:43 pm by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:05:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42