What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warm weather soaking is no fun!  (Read 4059 times)

tileman

Warm weather soaking is no fun!
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:08:07 pm »
Hello,
The past couple of days the weather in beautiful St. Louis have been nice, if your not a hot tub owner. Normally I'd be celebrating 65 degree highs in late November but that has all changed since spatopia. I was getting use to those 40 high 25 low days. It's just not the same sittin' in the tub w/o that winter chill. I don't think those year round warm climate people understand what true SPATOPIA is.

Chad
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:12:04 pm by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

Warm weather soaking is no fun!
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:08:07 pm »

anne

Re: Warm weather soaking is no fun!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:26:19 pm »
You're just trying to make yourself feel better that to us Californians, Arizonans and Texan, 40 is damned cold!!!! ;D "Chill" is all relative, and I'd say my 55 highs and 35 lows are PLENTY extreme for my blood. That's "winter", baby!
Dance like nobody's watching

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:27:34 pm »
Chad, I need to finish raking my leaves, could we please just have a few more nice days? Pretty please? :D

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:06:25 pm »
Chad, I need to finish raking my leaves, could we please just have a few more nice days? Pretty please? :D

Are you also a St. Louisian? :)

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 05:17:24 pm »
You're just trying to make yourself feel better that to us Californians, Arizonans and Texan, 40 is damned cold!!!! ;D "Chill" is all relative, and I'd say my 55 highs and 35 lows are PLENTY extreme for my blood. That's "winter", baby!

You're right about it being relative. My grandparents have lived in Ft. Myers, FL for 15 years now and every time they visit.... we always get the how can you guys live like this, it's freezing. I respond, gma it's 60 outside that winter coat isn't neccessary. ;D
It's strange how your body adapts to your climate like that. 60 to them is like 30 to me. I told them the other day that I had just got out of my spa in 25 degree weather and they thought I was insane.
I guess I am a little jealous....ok, really jealous but don't rub it in. :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 05:22:27 pm by tileman »

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:25:02 pm »
It's just not the same sittin' in the tub w/o that winter chill. I don't think those year round warm climate people understand what true SPATOPIA is.

Tileman,

I gotta agree with you, its been in the mid 50's around here and I sure do like the tub alot better when its cold.  I can't wait for the snow to fly and enjoy sitting in the tub ;)
Bullfrog 451

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 05:30:12 pm »
I'm just north of you....Iowa. You are sooo right about adapting to the climate. I lived in So. Cal. all my life, until moving here 5 years ago. Today I am out raking in 50 degrees...and I'm too hot! In Calif I would have froze at 50. I have another question for you Chad....I soaked eariler...about 6 hours ago....did the 1 tsp. dichlor bit and now I am wanting to go back in to help my SORE "raking leaves" muscles.  I did a test and  both C and FC measured about 5...so that means my CC is zero, right?  Can I soak now, or do I have to wait until it gets lower than 5?
Thanks, Jo

tileman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »
I'm just north of you....Iowa. You are sooo right about adapting to the climate. I lived in So. Cal. all my life, until moving here 5 years ago. Today I am out raking in 50 degrees...and I'm too hot! In Calif I would have froze at 50. I have another question for you Chad....I soaked eariler...about 6 hours ago....did the 1 tsp. dichlor bit and now I am wanting to go back in to help my SORE "raking leaves" muscles.  I did a test and  both C and FC measured about 5...so that means my CC is zero, right?  Can I soak now, or do I have to wait until it gets lower than 5?
Thanks, Jo

You'll be fine. I soaked in a 8ppm before w/o any skin/eye irratation and yes your CC is zero. :)
BTW, how much dichlor did you add post soak to still have a 5ppm 6 hrs later (1 tsp?)? Or did you have 2-3 ppm present before soaking?
You must keep your spa very clean. I know for me to get to a 5ppm post soak, when I have 1ppm present before soak, it takes about 2 tsps. I thought mine was clean but that's no comparison to yours if you did indeed just add 1 tsp to your 0-2 ppm water. :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:00:23 pm by tileman »

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:56:27 pm »
65???!!!!!!   That's nothing!!  Our tub was delivered this past July 14th and it hit 98F that day in Upper Michigan.   The next day it hit 102F,  the hottest day of the year!!  Talk about timing.  If I didn't have bad timing, I wouldnt' have any at all  ;D    Talk about wanting that "winter chill".  Oh well, the tub was new so we went in anyways and enjoyed it.   I wonder if we'll feel the same next summer though  ::)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tileman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 06:09:11 pm »
65???!!!!!!   That's nothing!!  Our tub was delivered this past July 14th and it hit 98F that day in Upper Michigan.   The next day it hit 102F,  the hottest day of the year!!  Talk about timing.  If I didn't have bad timing, I wouldnt' have any at all  ;D    Talk about wanting that "winter chill".  Oh well, the tub was new so we went in anyways and enjoyed it.   I wonder if we'll feel the same next summer though  ::)

It's to early for me to call for sure but I can't see me getting in over 80. Heck it was 68 Today and 101 in my spa and I just couldn't get comfortable. It probably has alot to do with me being so used to the cold weather we've had since I got my tub. I'm just not use to it yet. Hopefully I can adapt come spring time. :)

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 06:09:19 pm »
Thanks, Jo

You'll be fine. I soaked in a 8ppm before w/o any skin/eye irratation and yes your CC is zero. :)
BTW, how much dichlor did you add post soak to still have a 5ppm 6 hrs later (1 tsp?)? Or did you have 2-3 ppm present before soaking?
You must keep your spa very clean. I know for me to get to a 5ppm post soak, when I have 1ppm present before soak, it takes about 2 tsps. I thought mine was clean but that's no comparison to yours if you did indeed just add 1 tsp to your 0-2 ppm water. :)

Actually, what happened is that I did a little test by adding only 1/2 tsp., then checked 30 minutes later, and nothing registered, so I just threw in 1 tsp. and was done with it.  ;D Ok....here is my NEXT question....I am gonna go jump in the tub....now I might want to again tonight, so should I dose or not dose after this... can I just wait until my 2nd time tonight?
Thanks for all your help and being so patient...I might just get the hang of this yet!

tileman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 06:16:45 pm »
No problem. :)
I see you're a multiple soaker a day as well. Me too.  :) :)
I try and add my post soak dose just once a day, even though I may soak 2 or more times. Just dose after the last soak of the day and it will be fine.

anne

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 06:24:57 pm »
Thanks, Jo

Seems like the # of tsp needed is also going to relate greatly to water volume. 1 tsp takes my FC from zero to 5, but I have a 390 gal tub, which is smaller than many.

And just a little thing to think about, but I would not stress over it: the best time to measure CC is when FC is zero. I wouldn't let that keep you from using your tub now,  but if you want the most accurate CC, having no other source of color in the tube is best. If FC and TC are both 5, then CC must be zero, but you could have a 0.1-0.3 difference that might be really hard to see.

As for leaves, I feel your pain! I have huge oak tress is the back yard, and this time of year, I'm cursing their existence. Now in the summer, when it is over 100 for DAYS on end, I love the shade, but right now........
Dance like nobody's watching

tileman

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 06:42:58 pm »
Seems like the # of tsp needed is also going to relate greatly to water volume. 1 tsp takes my FC from zero to 5, but I have a 390 gal tub, which is smaller than many.

:o WOW :o I have a 336 gallon spa and 1 tsp(w/ a zero ppm) gets me a 3ppm and that's with brand new water. You must have alot higher FC present in your tap than me. I've never heard anyone getting a 5 with just 1 tsp. Consider yourself extremely lucky.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 06:57:06 pm »
Hi Anne, I have at least 6 oaks in my yard, and for that reason alone, I do not look forward to fall. This year I was going to pay someone to rake, but they never got here....and cold weather is coming! I raked all day and only did about a third of it.
I just got out of the tub...had a brewski while there...and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it thru the rest of the evening....I'm sooooooooo relaxed....... 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 06:57:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42