What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weight loss from soaking?  (Read 8556 times)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Weight loss from soaking?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 06:24:08 pm »
I have read articles regarding hot tubs and weight loss.  Apparently the increased blood flow increases the metabolism.  Like exercising without exercising.  Also many other health benefits.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 06:24:08 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 06:04:21 am »
This is so strange, but I seem to be intoxicated more since I have owned my tub.  This is so bizzare, I am going to have to look into this phenomenon.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 06:58:28 am »
i know one thing. eating candy in the hot tub does not help your weight loss

Slappy

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 12:23:25 pm »
probably doesn't help the water either when you drip a bit of caramel into the pump, eh?

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:13 pm »
One of the reasons for the overall trend to more weight in society (other then eating habits, fast food and lack of exercise) is the moderated temperature of our indoor environment. With air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter we hardly ever sweat or shiver anymore. The consistent temperature, changes our metabolism. The body requires the up and down temperature changes to increase the metabolism.

By hot tubing we raise and then lower (when we get out) our body temperature, thus providing us with the need temperature fluctuation to increase our metabolism rate. This of course burns more fat.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 12:43:11 pm »
do you have any data to uphold that?

I would guess the majority of folks who experience inital weight loss in a hot tub, is due to water loss via sweat. Nothing more.

07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »
I saw this information on a health TV show. It was presented as a story on a study done by some scientists. I can not recall who did the study. The story was not meant to promote hot tubs, but a sentence was used something to the effect that users of hot tubs and saunas tend to have the effect desired by changing their body temperature.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 01:30:14 pm »

I would guess the majority of folks who experience inital weight loss in a hot tub, is due to water loss via sweat. Nothing more.

I would have to go searching, but I've read multiple articles, some reprinted from medical journals, that would uphold the the fact that it is more than water loss via sweat.

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 01:34:07 pm »
Simulates the effects of exercise, huh?
Well I'll be spending twice as much time sitting in my tub from now on!
That's as good an excuse as any to use my new toy. ;D

I haven't noticed any weight loss after my first 2 weeks with the tub but I did notice how thirsty I felt after soaking the first few times.  I never would have thought that sitting in a tub full of hot water would dehydrate but it makes sense.

Over the next month I'll keep an eye on the belt notches and see if it works! ;)
...because integrity's the key

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 05:50:34 pm »
probably doesn't help the water either when you drip a bit of caramel into the pump, eh?
uh oh, here comes Term's no-bypass filtration picture again....

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 06:00:06 pm »
So what you are saying is that if I get this hot tub, I will lose weight. Is there any chance that it will help grow back hair? :D

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 07:08:18 am »
the hair on your back?

yes it will help.

it works like it does with plants. Water them and they grow!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 09:49:14 am »

I would have to go searching, but I've read multiple articles, some reprinted from medical journals, that would uphold the the fact that it is more than water loss via sweat.

If you find any, let me know.
07 Caldera Geneva

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 10:23:31 am »
the hair on your back?

yes it will help.

it works like it does with plants. Water them and they grow!

Did I say back hair? I ment hair back!  ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 01:33:28 pm »

If you find any, let me know.

Here's an article from poolsearch.org that I read back in 2002 I think.  Can't believe it is still there.  This seems to go along with Anne's article.

Lose Weight & Reduce Cellulite
Posted on by poolsearch

As unbelievable as it may sound, recent studies have proven that the regular use of hot tubs can aid in the reduction of weight, as well as diminish the appearance of cellulite. This stems from the fact that soaking in a hot tub simulates exercise. The hydrotherapy dilates the blood vessels, promoting better circulation as it relaxes the skin and muscles. It also raises the heart rate, while lowering blood pressure. This seems to indicate that soaking in a hot tub may be healthier for your heart than the traditional methods of exercise.

An article that appeared in the September 16, 1999 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine followed a group of subjects that were required to soak in a hot tub for thirty minutes a day, six days a week, for three weeks. Though this study was for diabetes research, the results were wide reaching. The patients’ weight was reduced by an average of 3.75 pounds each! The subjects lost over over one pound per week, just by soaking in a spa.

Regular use of hot tubs can also help to diminish the appearance of cellulite. The fatty deposits that typically gather on the hips, thighs, and buttocks of most women past their 30s can never be fully eliminated. The design of a woman’s body naturally causes the skin to dimple out, whether she is overweight or thin. However, by improving circulation to the areas affected by cellulite, it has been proven that the appearance of the unsightly deposits can be reduced. According to a variety of medical sources available on the internet, the hydrotherapy that a hot tub provides stimulates the blood vessels, increasing circulation. It also tones the body tissue, reduces fluid retention, and relieves swelling. All of these benefits combined can result in the diminishment of the appearance of cellulite.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:41:50 pm by tony »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 01:33:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42