What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weird PH reading on first fill  (Read 3232 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Weird PH reading on first fill
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:12 pm »
Hey all
I just got my new Envoy delivered today but my electrician is afraid of torrential downpours and 220 volts (what a coward).  So I won't get power until Friday morning. (I am very sad right now.....)
Anyway, I have to play with the new tub so I tested the new water with my Taylor kit.  Prior to the fill, my tap water had a pH of 7.2.  But the water now coming out of my tap and the new water in the tub is over 8.0. (very purple on the Taylor K2005 kit)

Due to my screwy well water, Watkins advised to use my softened water and then raise the calcuim later.  I am wondering if filling a 450 gal tub caused the water softener or the pH treatment system to overtreat the water?  I use a fairly recent Boss 700 water softner and raise the pH in my house with a pump system injecting a diluted Sodium Hydroxide mix into the house water.  (My well water pH is below 4.0 untreated)

Any thoughts?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Weird PH reading on first fill
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:12 pm »

IDW

Re: Weird PH reading on first fill
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:30:18 pm »
Did you add Bromine.
High levels of Bromine and Phenol red(ph test) form "bromide blue" that looks purple

False test

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:41:05 pm »
No, I haven't added anything to the water since I can't turn on the jets yet. The raw Alk (TA) reading is 250 and needs to be brought down to 80 to 120 once I get power.  I know that low TA can cause the pH to bounce around since there is no cushion.  Can a high TA reading affect the Ph reading?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:51:09 pm »
No, I haven't added anything to the water since I can't turn on the jets yet. The raw Alk (TA) reading is 250 and needs to be brought down to 80 to 120 once I get power.  I know that low TA can cause the pH to bounce around since there is no cushion.  Can a high TA reading affect the Ph reading?

The only thing I know a high alk will do to ph, is make it difficult to change.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:58:11 pm »
Get your alk down by adding Ph decreaser, that will also drop your Ph.  
Once your alk is in range, recheck your Ph, and go from there.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:58:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42