What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: CC level in my tap water  (Read 3337 times)

tileman

CC level in my tap water
« on: November 19, 2006, 04:48:31 pm »
My tap water has a CC level of about 1ppm. It's city water.
Is this a typical level for anyone else?
It's funny now that I have a spa and play with all these chemicals, how I can smell CC when drinking tap water. Before it taste fine but know it makes me wonder what I've been drinking all those years.

CHAD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:55:04 pm by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

CC level in my tap water
« on: November 19, 2006, 04:48:31 pm »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Re: CC level in my tap water
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:12:07 pm »
I think it is better not to know what we are drinking.

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:09:12 pm »

Out of curiosity, is your city water using chloramines for their water disinfection - if you don't know, can you find out or give me the name of your PWS (Public Water Supplier)?  If so, what method are you using for both free and total chlorine (I assume you are calculating the difference and calling that combined chlorine?)?

Vermonter

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:09:18 pm »
It's funny now that I have a spa and play with all these chemicals, how I can smell CC when drinking tap water. Before it taste fine but know it makes me wonder what I've been drinking all those years.

CHAD

Standerd procedure for city tap water. Mine hovers around .5 PPM I would rather have it clean than dirty.
Retired

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 08:16:48 pm »
Tman,s right it's standard disinfection. Beats ravaging disease.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

anne

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:51:29 pm »
Just checked mine: FC of just under 1.0 and TC of just over 1.0. Sometimes I can smell the chlorine odor too, so I bet the CC is sometimes higher than it is at the moment.
Dance like nobody's watching

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:14:21 pm »

CHAD

Hey Guys and Girls

CC in a distribution system is quite normal.  Municipal water plants monitor chlorine levels very closely throughout the entire distribution system, we take samples daily to monitor when certain areas need to be flushed.  Some plants feed ammonia and have to also watch nitrate levels as well as chlorine.   The are numerous instruments in the treatment plant and at booster plants and other valve chambers and out buildings.  

I can't speak for other provinces or states but Ontario has some of the toughest drinking water standards in North America.  Believe me, the water coming from your tap is safer then anything you would get from a bottle.

P.S. if you want to remove the chlorine taste the carbon filter in a Brita filter works well
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:11:46 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

tileman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:06:45 pm »

Out of curiosity, is your city water using chloramines for their water disinfection - if you don't know, can you find out or give me the name of your PWS (Public Water Supplier)?  If so, what method are you using for both free and total chlorine (I assume you are calculating the difference and calling that combined chlorine?)?

Vermonter

My water supply comes from the city of Wentzville in Missouri.
I use a Taylor k-2005 test kit and yes I took the TC and subtracted the FC to get my CC reading.

Tileman

tileman

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:08:39 pm »

CHAD

Hey Guys and Girls

CC in a distribution system is quite normal.  Municipal water plants monitor chlorine levels very closely throughout the entire distribution system, we take samples daily to monitor when certain areas need to be flushed.  Some plants feed ammonia and have to also watch nitrate levels as well as chlorine.   The are numerous instruments in the treatment plant and at booster plants and other valve chambers and out buildings.  

I can't speak for other provinces or states but Ontario has some of the toughest drinking water standards in North America.  Beleieve me, the water coming from your tap is safer then anything you would get from a bottle.

P.S. if you want to remove the chlorine taste the carbon filter in a Brita filter works well

Thanks for the advice on the Brita filter. I will give it a try.

kleinstagecomp

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 02:12:41 pm »
I've heard that drinking water with chlorine is not as bad as breathing in the steam from water containing chlorine.  Like when you are taking a hot shower and probably in a hot tub as well.  Not sure if it's true

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 05:03:54 pm »
Our city tap water comes out with a pH of around 8.2 and combined chlorine of at least 2.4 ppm.

It's a pain for chlorine customers when they first get their tubs.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 07:40:39 pm »
Tileman,

My tap in St Peters is:

Ph:8.0
Alk- 80ppm
FC- 0
CC- 0

For what it is worth, I do run a Culligan system throughout, so that could impact it somewhat....

Jr

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:43 pm »
Tileman,

My tap in St Peters is:

Ph:8.0
Alk- 80ppm
FC- 0
CC- 0

For what it is worth, I do run a Culligan system throughout, so that could impact it somewhat....

Jr

Wow that's alot better than mine.

PH: 8.2ppm
Alk:160ppm
CC: 1+ppm

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42