What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winter shocking-Cover open for whole hour?  (Read 5597 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Winter shocking-Cover open for whole hour?
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:22 pm »
It's a balmy 40 degrees today and I just shocked the tub.  The nice breeze has caused the temp to drop a bit.

Do you guys REALLY leave your cover off for a whole hour after shocking?  Even when it's 10 degrees?  :o

2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Winter shocking-Cover open for whole hour?
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:22 pm »

Repeat_Offender

Re: Winter shocking-Cover open for whole hour?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:03:07 pm »
I usually leave mine half open for 20 mins or so. I don't think it needs to be open longer than that.
Bullfrog 562

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 01:04:08 pm »
I leave ours open for 1/2 hour.  I think that should be long enough.
Bullfrog 451

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:44:53 pm »
When shocking usually 1/2 hour with the jets on high for the 1st 15 minutes.  After a soak I usually put in the chem and close it up when I am dressed (10 minutes).
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:46:03 pm »
It was 40 degrees yesterday and I shocked my tub to a 10+ppm FC. I kept it off for 1.5 hrs. It's probably overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:13:02 pm »
.5 hour and you should be good to go.  BTW, everything else working out chem-wise for you now?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:12:32 pm »
.5 hour and you should be good to go.  BTW, everything else working out chem-wise for you now?

My ph is still very high--I added another 1.5 oz of the Spa Down today--it's probably been at least a week since I added the last batch.  Still trying to adhere to the  :-* method!

I'll tell you what though, I am trying some new things with this last water change:  the N2 mineral stick, the SeaKlear MPS, and the SeaKlear Natural Clarifier.

HUGE difference in my water--HUGE!!!!!   :o :o

My dichlor lasts longer, no scum/oil lines, my filters appear cleaner looking,  when I shocked with the MPS today the yucky, foamy bubbles just disappeared with no residue left behind.

The way my family uses the tub (and I forget to sometimes add dichlor in-between) it should have been cloudy at least once if not twice already, and it just hasn't happened.

I am quite amazed at the difference I have seen.  We'll see how this grand experiment pans out over the course of this winter!

Thanks for checking up on me!  :D
2005 HS Vanguard

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:31:49 pm »
I would never close it less than a cycles worth.  On my tub 45min.  I would rather use a little extra hydro then have to pay for a new cover.  

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 08:37:17 am »
My ph is still very high--I added another 1.5 oz of the Spa Down today--it's probably been at least a week since I added the last batch.  Still trying to adhere to the  :-* method!

I'll tell you what though, I am trying some new things with this last water change:  the N2 mineral stick, the SeaKlear MPS, and the SeaKlear Natural Clarifier.

HUGE difference in my water--HUGE!!!!!   :o :o

My dichlor lasts longer, no scum/oil lines, my filters appear cleaner looking,  when I shocked with the MPS today the yucky, foamy bubbles just disappeared with no residue left behind.

The way my family uses the tub (and I forget to sometimes add dichlor in-between) it should have been cloudy at least once if not twice already, and it just hasn't happened.

I am quite amazed at the difference I have seen.  We'll see how this grand experiment pans out over the course of this winter!

Thanks for checking up on me!  :D
That sounds great!  Good work!  I've got a thrice-yearly water change coming up on Thanksgiving week....last change was in July.  My water is showing it's TDS but has not gone sour at all during this change...easy too!  Can't wait to get that fresh water in there...it is a REAL positive reinforcement factor for taking the time and effort to do a water change.  And I try to get as many soaks in the new water as I can before the water gets substantial use.  

And, oh my, the weather is just perfect for tubbing now! 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:43:35 am »
When shocking, most orgainic matter is oxidized within 15-20 minutes. Cycle the water on high speed during this time.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:17:43 pm »
When shocking, most orgainic matter is oxidized within 15-20 minutes. Cycle the water on high speed during this time.

That's good to know.  I also have been pushing my jets 1 & 2 buttons rather than just my 10-minute "clean" button lately.  I go in the house and set the kitchen timer, then go back out, shut things down and cover things up.  I think it may have been you who suggested that a while back?  (to make sure that ALL of the water in the lines got chlorinated)

Anyway, I believe that it is also helping with my new experimental water routine and it is working well so far.

Now, mind you, I haven't been out in the spa and then back and forth, when it's been below 25 yet, but I'm still of the same mindset as Bosco with leaving the cover open in order to get the most life out of it that I can!  Maybe I will change my ways come January!  ;)

2005 HS Vanguard

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 07:30:33 pm »
When I shock (weekly with dichor and every other week with MPS) I usually just flip the 1st section back (my Maxxus has the 3 section cover) and run the jets through 1 full cycle.  My dealer said this was ok, and as memory serves me, the cover has a 3 or 5 year warranty.

Am I just asking for trouble?  Will enough gases build up under there to do damage to the bottom of the cover?

Just asking,
Jr

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 07:39:00 am »
I noticed that Bosco said something about this yesterday. Is that the reason for leaving the cover open, is because it damages the cover.?

anne

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
I would never close it less than a cycles worth.  On my tub 45min.  I would rather use a little extra hydro then have to pay for a new cover.  

Bosco, I assume by "cycle" you mean the amount of time that the pumps, etc will stay on  by themselves with one push of the button........my cycle is 20 minutes......? When I add daily chlorine, I turn all 3 pumps on for 1 cycle...they go off on their own in 20 min. I close the lid in 5-10 min. When I shock I do the same thing but I leave the cover off for a 30-40 min.
Dance like nobody's watching

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 06:18:48 pm »
After we shock, we leave the cover off and run the pumps for 20 minutes witht the waterfall on to get everythign cleaned out.  The pumps auto shut off after that.  Then we close the cover.

We have a closed cell blanket under the cover.  Since the tub is indoors, we don't really need the extra insulaion, but it protects the cover from chemicals and water very well.  After 1 year we have an area of slight discoloration & moisture around the edges of the bottom of the cover.  It doesn't feel any heavier.

The gray blanket seems to be doing well too, but there are some areas turning lighter, especially over the ozone outlet.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 06:18:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42