What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pH Lock at refill  (Read 4863 times)

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
pH Lock at refill
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:46:59 am »
Anybody use one of these products?

Recommendations?

Hot Tub Forum

pH Lock at refill
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:46:59 am »

PotomacG

Re: pH Lock at refill
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:22 am »
Sorry for the bump, but maybe my post was overly terse.

I'm talking about the stuff you add at fill time which is supposed to lock in your pH.  From what I read here, I know some people have pH bounce.  I know it is not recommended for very hard water.

Dealers, don't any of you guys/gals carry this stuff?  What is your experience with it?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:32:02 am »
I'll start by saying I've never used the products.  The question has come up many times over the years I've here and other foums.  I have never seen any one of the pros recommend their use.  I think they just raise the TA so high that your pH can't move, but like everything else, there are downsides to their use.

Keeping your pH and TA in line gets to be pretty simple.  Why mess it up with another chem?

PotomacG

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:58:29 pm »
Thanks Tony.

I didn't know they messed with the TA levels.

They will make a chemical additive for just about anything you can think of.

"Makes your butt shinier and your teeth glow in the dark!"   :-?

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:34 pm »
I've used it on several fills, it did seem to maintian my ph level consistently. I never noticed the alk being high, I just use the dip strips, not a real test kit though.

PotomacG

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:28:12 pm »
I've used it on several fills, it did seem to maintian my ph level consistently. I never noticed the alk being high, I just use the dip strips, not a real test kit though.

LtDan,

Are you sold on using it for every fill?

Do you remember which brand you used?  

Thanks

tileman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:21:13 pm »
I'm sure you've seen Northman's opinion about ph locks on rhtubs.com but just in case he "strongly advises" not to use them. That's not to say they don't work but everything else he does as worked for me so I'm not going to start doing anything different.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:26:14 pm by tileman »

IDW

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:25:59 pm »
They work great

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:28:25 pm »
When I use it at water change I get a lot less ph "drift" than when I don't. I have only used the leisure time product(leisure time ph balance). My alk/ph have to be bumped up weekly when I haven't had the lock to put in at water change (I use a bromine floater). I haven't noticed any changes in my water when using it.
An ebay cut and paste:
Features:

Prevents pH drift.
Eliminates need to adjust pH on ongoing basis.
Lasts up to 3 months.

Applications:
Normal: 1. Adjust pH and total alkalinity of freshly filled spa to proper levels. (pH level: 7.2 - 7.8 ppm total alkalinity level: 80-120 ppm)
2. Add entire bottle to filled spa while the filter is running.
3. pH will instantly increase or decrease to a reading between the ideal range of 7.2 to 7.8.

Tips:

Caution! pH BALANCE should not be used in hard water areas where calcium reading is above 150 ppm. In these conditions, this formula will soften hard water and release calcium into spa water possibly causing cloudy water, scaling and clogging of spa filter. If you are not in a hard water area, but experience clouding of spa water after applying pH BALANCE, Leisure Time recommends using SPA BRIGHT & CLEAR to return clarity to water.

Compatible With:
Chlorine, bromine, ozone and mineral purification systems.
Advantage:
Due to the unique buffering capacity, it is not necessary to adjust the calcium level in the spa.

PotomacG

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
....Caution! pH BALANCE should not be used in hard water areas where calcium reading is above 150 ppm.....

It's time to get out the old Taylor test kit and check my water as it comes out of the tap.  My water is pretty hard, but I just don't remember how hard.  

I also have some metal gone (which I've never used) and I'm not sure whether or not to use that as well.  Since I've switched over to bromine, I am a bit confused.  

I do love how the bromine floater keeps my water sparkling, with very little effort on my part.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42