What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals again!  (Read 3067 times)

Julian Thompson

Chemicals again!
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »
Hi there!

I'm a spa novice - I have had my spa for 2 weeks so far and am doing ok with it being careful to keep my water in range. My tub is fed by a bromine floater. When I have used it I find I have to add PH down to keep things right. Does this sound normal? I have read that you guys use something called "Dichlor" - is this anything like PH down??

Sorry for being so ignorant!

Many thanks,

Julian

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals again!
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »

tileman

Re: Chemicals again!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:30:23 pm »
No dichlor is a type of chlorine (sanitizer like your bromine) used for spas. It's not a ph decreaser by name but it will however bring your ph down over time if you use it as your daily sanitizer. I'm not too familiar with bromine so I'll let some one else help you from here. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:31:57 pm by tileman »

Julian Thompson

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:53:28 pm »
Cheers for that - I see - so my bromine in the floater is why I don't add any sanitiser after I use the tub then. Makes sense.

So, final question then, does it make sense that I have to add PH down most days I use the tub? I don't need much - probably 2 capfuls - and the tub is 2000 litres.

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:07:12 pm »
1st thing  you need to check you Alk level    that will keep your ph in check

if you are finding its still happening limit the amount of bromine in the floater if you have too many pucks in your floater and the dial is set wide open your ph is sure to increase.  your PH level should hover around 7.5 7.6 is best no worries if it goes to 7.2
7.8 + is too high  instead of using your ph down all of the time just add some water that will bring the level down without bring your TDS up like always adding ph down

Welcome to the Board

Julian Thompson

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:12:07 pm »
I see - thanks!

The water idea is great - although obviously I need to be careful not to overfill it!!

Everything else (total alkalinity etc) seems good and normally I run 2 pucks in the brominator. Right now there are 3 pucks because bromine was low after I hosed in lots of new water last week following heavy use/evaporation.

How can you test for TDS and how high is it allowed to go?

(Sorry I said last question and that is about 3 questions ago.....) ;D

IDW

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:40:07 pm »
PH is high out of my tap. Will it still lower the PH?

tileman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:44:35 pm »
PH is high out of my tap. Will it still lower the PH?

If you're talking about dichlor I would say yes, atleast mine did and I was high out the tap as well.

Pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:53:07 pm »
depends on what your reading is out of your tap    

TDS  can only be accurately measured by a TDS pen  which most dealers should have for testing

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:53:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42