What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP this goofball  (Read 3365 times)

2tubagain

HELP this goofball
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:51:01 am »
Howdie folks,
Been a long time since I have posted to this well rounded forum.
This will be long winded please bare with,,,,,,,
We relowed to another state one year ago, the tub went with us, pre winter weather was mild with lots of rain that leaked into tub; pulled enough water out of tub but could not get it all.
Winterized tub with pool antifreeze(1gallon)pored inall low lined holes including air and tarped it. summer hit and with all the  distractions I will not bore you with, the tub sat all summer.
Got around four days ago to get tub wired up and running and found rain had leaked into tub and WOW the stuff in it was gross and I think the grossness wasa alive!!
Well I cleaned out the tub as best I could (came clean alot better than I expected) pulled all jet nozels out pulled foam bordes from cover and washed it inside and out, flushed out as much as I could then filled it up.
At day two, have pulled and cleaned filter three times, started with first day of fill up with diclor keeping at 3ppm.
Second day shocked with PM(cleaned filter twice).
This being the third day gross stuff is almost gone but alkalinity is at 40ppm, clor at 2.5, ph 7.2.(pulled filter once so far)
Air pump is probably the worst producer of gross stuff, will I have to get a long bottle brush to get at the air lines?????
How do I proceed from here?????????????????????????????
Any and all help much Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!(Caldera Tahitian Paradise)
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Hot Tub Forum

HELP this goofball
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:51:01 am »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
Re: HELP this goofball
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:23:48 am »
Howdy,

Click on this link http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm and check the last item in the FAQ titled "How do I decontaminate my Spa?"

Best of luck.

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:40:43 am »
I will neeed to do the same thing to a used spa I bought. Can liquid bleach be used in place of dichlor.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:48:17 am »
If you are worried about dirty pipes and whatnot, would a product like swirl away be something to consider before decontamination?  I'm just thinking flush the pipes clean, then disinfect the crap out of the tub.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud.

2tubagain

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:10 pm »
PotomacG: I have a few Q,
4. Add at least 100 ppm chlorine to the spa being sure not to allow the Dichlor to come into direct contact with spa surface before is dissolves.
How would one do this???
10. Drain and flush the spa.
What about those places that are near impossible like the air blower lines????
AND
11. Clean the spa surface with a surface cleaner approved for you type of spa shell surface. Rinse the spa thoroughly!
I have no idea what kind of surface cleaner, any sugestions?
 Brookenstein, where you responding to me or  jfish63?

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
Both of you really.

I know Bosco posted the other day that he used an Artic product that was equivalent to Swirl Away for the first time when he was doing his usual water change and he was shocked at how much dirt and whatnot it got out.  This was with a 1.5 year old tub that has been maintained properly and in use all this time... so I just thought something like that might be a good place to start for a visibly yucky tub.

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:19:30 pm »
I use a swirl away type product in my current tub it works pretty good for the purpose of keeping the line clean. I want more of a disinfectant action on the tub I will be installing. It sat for a while so I am sure there is funk somewhere and I don't think the swirl away is the first treatment I will need.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:30:55 pm »
I will neeed to do the same thing to a used spa I bought. Can liquid bleach be used in place of dichlor.

Bleach can drive up the PH.  We discussed this in the not so distant past, and I think the advice was not to let it sit for to long and drain the solution after a few hours.

This is where JMcd came in handy... :(
07 Caldera Geneva

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 02:46:14 pm »
My plan no matter what I use is to super chlorinate run jets for a couple of hours, dump, clean, flush out, and refill with new filters in place.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:50:19 pm »
PotomacG: I have a few Q,
4. Add at least 100 ppm chlorine to the spa being sure not to allow the Dichlor to come into direct contact with spa surface before is dissolves.
How would one do this???
10. Drain and flush the spa.
What about those places that are near impossible like the air blower lines????
AND
11. Clean the spa surface with a surface cleaner approved for you type of spa shell surface. Rinse the spa thoroughly!
I have no idea what kind of surface cleaner, any sugestions?
 Brookenstein, where you responding to me or  jfish63?

2TA,

This is not my FAQ, but I'll give you my read on it.

4.  I think he means that the concentrate not be poured directly on the surface.  Pour it into the filled spa with the jets running.

10.  Turn on and off the blowers during the cleaning process.  The amount of concentrated chlorine left in the blower lines will mostly dissipate when the tub is finally filled with fresh water.

11.  You're always safe with baking soda and a clean rag.  Most spa shells are OK with Softscrub as well.  

These are just my opinions.  Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:34:43 pm by PotomacG »

2tubagain

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:54 pm »
PotomacG;These are just my opinions.  Your mileage may vary.
Your thoughts and opinions are appriciated!
I just did not understand how granul dichlor would just sit on the tub surface but I relized he ment the liqiud kind. :P
And since the rain has delaid my decontamination responsability to my tub here in
O-hi-O, I boosted the ALK with good ole bakeing soda and will maintain my levels until the rain passes through.
Thanks for your input! u 2 Brookenstein
Anymore from one and all on experiances and outcomes such as mine will be well receaved.  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42