What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: rubber pads under tub?  (Read 14568 times)

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
rubber pads under tub?
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:19:44 am »
Before I place the tub I was wondering if thick rubber mats under it would be a good or bad idea. The tub is a 2002 grandee and has no barrier underneath the insulation. The insulation has a hard like finish with no evidence of damage. I am placing it on concrete and have these thick rubber mats flat on one side and about a 1/4 inch high raised bumps on the other. I was thinking of placing the bumps down with the flat side against the tub. Any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

rubber pads under tub?
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:19:44 am »

Brookenstein

Re: rubber pads under tub?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:55:51 am »
I wouldn't.  The tubs are built to be put on concrete, so I see no reason to add anything to the mix.  You don't know if the rubber pads could get moldy or cause another issue.  Also, my tub is on a portable pad rather than concrete and I was told by a tech that it makes my tub run a bit louder than most.  More vibration or something.

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:03:24 am »
I'm not sure about the mold thing either. This tub is heavy so I wouldn't want to drain and move it. The pads were part of a pathway on a flat roof. What is a portable pad?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:10:24 am »
 What is your goal/reason for this mat?
07 Caldera Geneva

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:22:09 am »
Most newer tubs have a bottom covering so the framing and insulation are not exposed. Even my 93 D1 has a thick plastic sheet on the bottom. I was just curious as to whether or not it would make any difference ffor bottom protection, vibration, or isulation against concrete.

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:27:09 am »
We didn't want to put down concrete as our tub is in the middle of our side yard and if we move (and take the tub with us) it would look funny with concrete just smack in the middle of the side of the yard.  Our back yard patio wasn't level or really big enough for the tub... so anyway, we leveled it out, put down sand, and then this pad.

THis is what it says in the description:

This modular system eliminates the need to pour concrete. The pad locks together with built-in connectors. The six pads will form an 8' by 8' pad. Add additional pads as needed to increase your overall pad size. These units are very durable and speed up installation and eliminate the hassle of pouring concrete.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 11:28:00 am »
as far as vibration, I don't think it will buy you anything. It's a full foamed spa with a circ pump on concrete. The only sound you're gonna hear is when the jets are on.  Might be differtn if it was on a deck, or floor, or roof.

As far as insulation and moisture, I think you'll be all set. they are designed to be put on a slab. If the tub is dry and you wanted to staple some thick mil  platic down as a vapor barrier, I don't see it being a problem.  I don't think it's necessary, but couldn't hurt. no?

The portable pad, is a systhentic block or pad that some dealers sell that can be used to place a tub on. Folks who don't want to pour a pad use them. They are relativly light weight and can be moved. I belive Artic makes one, and I saw one at the D-1 Dealer the other day.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:29:31 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:23 am »
hey drew i had my tub placed on an old bed mattress
and it works great to eliminate sound and vibration.
and just think how much i saved on concrete!  ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:42:44 am »
Genius! ;) ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:42:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42