What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chemical help!  (Read 4125 times)

grumpy

chemical help!
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:27 pm »
I'm going to be changing my sanatizer from baqua to diclor and mps at next water change. I know I need the obvious dichlor, mps, and taylor kit  :D. Do i need any other chemicals? I know I have to increase my ph on occassion, diclor and mps eats up ph from what I've read. Should I use spa up which increases alk and ph or use soda ash? Do I have to do anything at start up besides checking calcium hardness, alk, and ph?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 08:26:25 am by grumpy »

Hot Tub Forum

chemical help!
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:27 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: changing sanatizer!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 07:56:16 pm »
Get as much of the Baqua water out of the spa as you can- even vacuum out the stuff left in the plumbing.  Clean your filters really good, too.
 Then just refill as usual but go with dichlor as your sanitizer instead of the Baqua.
Use whatever you need to to keep your Ph and alk in balance.  You can also use dichlor as shock if you want- it has a very small impact, if any, on Ph.

Then just send in the coupon included in every package of dichlor for you free in home study course on how to be arrogant.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 07:58:01 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

grumpy

Re: chemical help!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:31 pm »
HELP anybody else? Recommendations? :-[

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:10 pm »
HELP anybody else? Recommendations? :-[

I use dichlor, mps, and taylor.
We will have to PM eachother though because I don't want the BROMINE PATROL to think I'm just being arrogant about using dichlor.

Love to help ya,
CHAD
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:21:18 pm by tileman »

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:00:15 pm »
grumpy,

Pick up some baking soda at the supermarket instead of Spa Up, they are the same thing :)

My PH and ALK pretty much move together so I haven't had to use anything but baking soda when I make adjustments. If they move separately in your spa you may need to use soda ash, etc. to make some adjustments.

My routine involves, ~1.5 tsp dichlor after each soak, ~2 tbs MPS shock approx. weekly (substitute a dichlor shock (~2 tbs) about once a month). PH and ALK tend to slowly drift down on my spa so roughly every two months I add ~2 tbs of baking soda.

The dosages above are specific to my spa and use, your mileage may vary. And of course if I don't plan to use my tub I just hit it with a tbs or more of dichlor every 3 or 4 days to keep some residual FC at all times.

Rarely but sometimes a little shot of clarifier if I think I have some organics to clean up or spray a little foam down from a spray bottle when I get a little foam. This is more likely to happen when my water is getting old.

Steve

IDW

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:47:16 pm »
grumpy,

Pick up some baking soda at the supermarket instead of Spa Up, they are the same thing :)

Steve

No it is not. Similar but not the same.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:12:17 pm »
Sodium bicarbonate is not the same as Sodium bicarbonate? Or is it cardboard box vs. fancy plastic bottle?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:13:10 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:27:57 am »
Go to Dr. Spas site...rhtubs.com..., get to the Q&A Message board (forum), click on FAQ near the top and read both Vermonters Dichlor Dosing and Northman's routine which is derived from Vermonters method.  Vermonter deals mostly with sanitizing while Northman describes everything you want to know.  Both are good reading and a must.

Grumpy..did you buy from NE Spas?  They have updated their instructions and is also worth reading.

anne

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 12:09:35 pm »
I am a baking soda user too, and Na bicarb is Na bicarb no matter what, but someone else here a while back also advised me to stick with my dealer's stuff, not to use baking soda. I'm thinking this is just hype. Anyone have any more facts?
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 05:28:04 pm »
Bicarb is bicarb! Arm and Hammer is the same as store brand. It's all hype for certain things ... like  buying dichlor, I buy from Doc, it's great and I get a heck of a lot more than other brands for the money.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:59 pm »
Back in the day when I was a little pup, my Dad told people to use white vinegar to lower pH. Guess what.... it still works. Bicarb is Bicarb.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

lilbk3369

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 02:01:36 am »
Here is the thing none of the chemicals you used for Baqua can be used in a Dichlor tub. I woul suggest buying new cartridges and like someone said vacuuming out the waters in lines.  
Also ph is sodium carbonate,or soda ash(they are the same), and alkalinty is sodium bicarbonate, which is baking soda. Alkalinty is the buffer for the ph so normally if your alkalinty is off then so will your ph

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:53 am »
Thanks Doc for defending my statement, even though it may mean one less customer buying spa up from you. Your integrity is refreshing. I need to get another order out to you. You deserve our business.

lilbk3369, just one clarification. I think I heard sodium bicarb has a PH of 8. So unless you're running your spa at a PH of 8 or above sodium bicarb will raise both ALK and PH. I found a link to an MSDS for sodium bicarb sold by a chemical company (Solvay Chemicals) that says it has a PH of 8.6 (5% solution). Not sure now whether baking soda has the same % solution, not sure that I care. I know that when I put baking soda in my tub my ALK and PH go up.

Steve

grumpy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 05:12:06 pm »

Grumpy..did you buy from NE Spas?  They have updated their instructions and is also worth reading.
What instuctions did they update??

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:42 am »

What instuctions did they update??

Their water maintenance section of the website is updated.  Looks like they bought into the Vermonter method.  Check out Mineral Purifier instructions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42