What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tub refill and chemical question  (Read 2727 times)

mcmishka

tub refill and chemical question
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:21:40 pm »
We drained our two week old Caldera today and filled it.  We tested water and we need to put a little ph increaser in and Zip-clor.  Those were the only two levels that are low after filling.  When we got our tub two weeks ago dealer had us put in Shock and Zip-clor-one tablespoon of each.  He told us to put one tablespoon of zip-clor and shock in every Mon, Wed and Friday.  We have had two episodes of cloudy water since then.  One time there was a foul odor as well.  We rinsed our filter as well.  Any suggestions on chemical dosage would be really appreciated.  We do not want to drain again in two weeks.  Any suggestions for what we are doing wrong will be very welcomed as well.  Helpppppppppppppppppppp!

Hot Tub Forum

tub refill and chemical question
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:21:40 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: tub refill and chemical question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:14:24 pm »
mcmishka

You can check Doc's (rh tubs) site for the full Vermonter's Method but here is the quicky version.

Use 1 teaspoon of dichlor per person after each use.  Shock either by testing water for CC or you can shock on a weekly schedule with MPS.  Adjust pH and alkalinity as needed once a week, normally a couple of days after shocking.  Rinse filters with garden hose once a week and soak in filter cleaner once a month.

Hope this helps

Curious, why did you change your water after 2 weeks.  Also don't worry it gets easier
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:33:49 pm »

Curious, why did you change your water after 2 weeks.

Oopps sorry just reread your post on "foam in my tub" :-[
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 11:34:15 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

mcmishka

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:56 pm »
In,
          Our water was cloudy and smelled.  this is the second time this happened.  We did a few things per dealer recommendation to fix.  His ideas were not enough.  We thought we would just start over.  We followed the dealer's recommendations for chemical schedule and it failed.  So I am looking here for new and improved ideas.  We also had a lot of foam.  We tried the foam fighter and it worked for one night per use.  It states on the foam fighter bottle to drain tub after 3 treatments.  We are not sure what 3 treatments means.  Do they mean 1 capful is a treatment?  I am also getting a rash.  We filled today and we are hoping for a better week ahead.  Thanks for your help.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:56:54 pm »
Is Zip-Chlor a form of dichlor? Yes, what Canada said.  Most of follow the Vermonter method where we add dichlor (chlorine) after we soak to kill the bacteria. Typcially, you will enter the spa with almost no Free Chlorine residual. This way you will not be sitting in a chemical bath.

You normally shock the spa every week or two depending on how often you use the spa. Shocking will remove the chloramines which are the smelly byproducts that the chlorine destroyed. You can shock with dichlor (chlorine) or MPS (non-chlorine shock) if you are following a chlorine system.

If I followed your dealers system my water would probably get a little cloudy also. The amount of chemicals used depends on the spa usage. Using a certain amount of chemicals on Monday, Wednesday and Friday isn't the best method.

Like Canada said, I would start out using about 1 teaspoon of dichlor per person after each use.  This is after your Alkalinity and PH levels are within range. You could also shock once per week until you get your routine down. It will get easier for you. I also recommend reading the Vermonter FAQ at:

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:00:15 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tileman

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:34:51 am »
Is Zip-Chlor a form of dichlor? Yes, what Canada said.  Most of follow the Vermonter method where we add dichlor (chlorine) after we soak to kill the bacteria. Typcially, you will enter the spa with almost no Free Chlorine residual. This way you will not be sitting in a chemical bath.

You normally shock the spa every week or two depending on how often you use the spa. Shocking will remove the chloramines which are the smelly byproducts that the chlorine destroyed. You can shock with dichlor (chlorine) or MPS (non-chlorine shock) if you are following a chlorine system.

If I followed your dealers system my water would probably get a little cloudy also. The amount of chemicals used depends on the spa usage. Using a certain amount of chemicals on Monday, Wednesday and Friday isn't the best method.

Like Canada said, I would start out using about 1 teaspoon of dichlor per person after each use.  This is after your Alkalinity and PH levels are within range. You could also shock once per week until you get your routine down. It will get easier for you. I also recommend reading the Vermonter FAQ at:

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

Definitely do this!! :) :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:34:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42