What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Diverter Valve Noise  (Read 5142 times)

rayz350

Diverter Valve Noise
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:02:14 am »
Just wondering if it's common for main diverter valves to make so much noise when in the middle position...specifically on the Sundance Cameo or Optima.  I noticed in the maual that it's normal for the noise to change from one position to the next but when in the middle it's a bit annoying or am I just being picky?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Diverter Valve Noise
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:02:14 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Diverter Valve Noise
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 04:39:57 am »
I would say normal.  Sometimes, depending on how they rest, will make a loud vibration noise.  I just fiddle with them until they stop.  also, I was told not to move them while the jets are going.  it sometimes traps air which causes the vibration

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:42:16 am »
 I have the same thing happening on our Sundance.  Noisier in the middle, quieter as you turn from to one side or the other.    
What year spa do you have?  Sometime around 2004 model year, Sundance changed the diverter valves to make them quieter.  If your spa was made prior to that, you can swap in new valves.  I haven't done that myself, so I don't know how much difference the new ones make.  I think the valves cost somewhere around $35, and it's very easy to remove and replace them.
 You can also remove the diverter valve control knobs, and fill in the area underneath with caulk.  It deadens the noise a bit and it costs next to nothing to do.
On my 2003 Optima it made a difference.
 PM me if you'd like more details on this.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 07:45:33 am by Brewman »
Brewman

anne

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:48:58 pm »
I was told not to move them while the jets are going.  it sometimes traps air which causes the vibration

Really? Is this common knowledge that I just never heard? Lately I have been turning the pumps off to move the diverter valves only because it got too hard to move then with the pumps on, but I did not used to do that.

Dance like nobody's watching

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:21:41 pm »
It might vary by brand, or perhaps even model.  Sundance doesn't warn against moving the diverter valve with the pumps on, at least not for my '03 Optima.  It's not at all hard to turn the knob when the pump is running.  Looking at the valve itself, I'd have trouble believing that it could hurt anything.  It's a pretty simple piece of plastic.  But following the cautions in your owners manual is usually a good strategy, so if they say don't then I wouln't.
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:31:08 pm »
I was told not to move them while the jets are going.  it sometimes traps air which causes the vibration
Really? I was told not to step on a crack or it would break my momma's back but I never really believed that either. Certainly the valve will be more difficult to turn with the pump on but I can't see how moving it while the water flows causes any more air entrapment resulting in excess vibration than you'd see with it stationary. I think someone may be coming up with theories using their Magic 8-ball.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rayz350

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 04:38:17 pm »
I just wish there was less noise coming from the diverter valve control knob.  I talked to one of the Sundance tech guys in my area this afternoon and they said it was pretty common for this to be happening and that maybe tightening the cover would help...didn't seem to though.  Bit frusterating since the tub costs so much...expected it to be quieter.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 04:44:20 pm »
Consider putting some goop like caulk on the underside of the control knob.  It sounds doofy but it does deaden the noise a bit and it costs nothing to try.  
That hollowed out knob acts a bit like a minuature echo chamber and amplifies the noise.  
See my previous post in this thread, or pm me if you want more details.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 04:45:21 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 04:44:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42