What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Tub - Thinking Used - Thoughts?  (Read 3293 times)

brentp

Buying Tub - Thinking Used - Thoughts?
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:35:25 pm »
Hi,

Our 14 year old locally built SPA needs a new control pack/heater/ozone.  When we were in looking for a relay to attempt to fix the controller - we started to look at new SPAs.  I guess things have progressed a bit in 14 years!  :)

Anyway - we have decided to upgrade instead of repair!  We have dry tested a number of SPAs and had pretty much narrowed it down to a Caldera Martinique, Sundance Capri, or D1 Aurora II.  We also looked at Artesian, Hot Springs, Marquis, Vita . . . and numerous others.  We are limited to no more that 84" x 84" due to our deck configuration, . . . and I am 6’ 4” so that ruled out a number of models with short loungers.

Just for kicks after reading a post here on used SPAs, . . . I thought I'd look through the classifieds to see if any late model SPAs might be for sale in our area.  I found at 3 year old Artesian Gold Class Opal being offered for $3500.  The seller don't know exactly what model year this is, . . . but I do know it is a 3 pump unit with a 24/7 circ pump, . . . which tells me it likely is at least a 2003 (maybe a 2004).  The seller is including upto $500 for moving, and a $250 servicing by the original dealer in to that price (or subtract the moving cost from the sale price).  Seller bought the house this year with the SPA and they do not want it.  There likely is some room for negotiating the price.

Questions I have if we do go this way, . . .

1)  Do movers when they move used SPAs have insurance for the move?  Of course I will ask, but just wanted to know what others have experienced when buying a used SPA and hiring out the move.

2)  Comments on the asking price (good, bad, indifferent)?  Also, if anyone knows what these models went for new - that would be appreciated.

3)  Any other things to be concerned with when buying used.  We will obviously clean thoroughly (even though the buyer is planning a professional service - we will clean inside/out and likely replace filters [unless we know for a fact the service included new filters]).

4)  Comments on the Opal?  We haven’t dry fitted this model, but did sit in its bigger brother.  Given its configuration, it looks like a good fit.  We will of course try before we buy.

5)  Any tips on how to handle the financial aspect of the transaction would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Tub - Thinking Used - Thoughts?
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:35:25 pm »

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Re: Buying Tub - Thinking Used - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:38:56 pm »
If you opt to by used, check it when it is up and running.  Open the sides and look
for leaks.  Check everything - jets, knobs, heater, etc etc.  Another option is to have the dealer come out and do an inspection and have them give you an honest opinion.  Not about price but if everything is working the way it should.  Expect to pay about $100.  Also try and find the history on it. (the original bill of sale, receipts for work performed)

If I remember right the Opal is the little brother to the Emerald.  When I was shopping I wet tested the Emerald and it ended up being #2 on my list.  It might suit your needs but again wet test since it is smaller than the Emerald.  A couple of years ago I believe it was selling for $8500 in the Indy market.

As far as paying for it, remember there is no warranty.  I would presume the owner would like payment in full before it leaves his property.  At least I would.  He may hold it for you for a small deposit while you get transportation set up. You'll just have to work that out with him.

r100rs

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 02:23:08 pm »
Not sure if it helps, but in July I just bought a brand new leftover 05 Artesian Opal for $6177. I had to drive 2 hours to get it, and I brought it home on my own flatbed trailer from the dealer. I am very happy with my Opal.

Back in July, brand new 06 models were priced around $8000 + or -.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:51:37 pm »
If you can get a serial number from it perhaps you can contact Artesian to get more info as to year made. Or it may say on it somewhere. Since you will want to "check under the hood" anyway there will be an opportunity to look for that info.

Would seem a perfect fit for your space requirements if it is the same as the current model and of course I am a fan of four corner seat configuration with a foot dome. If it is in good functional shape and you chip away a bit at the price might be a great buy! But no idea what a "fair" price would be. Seems tubs quickly lose value in the resale market though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:51:52 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 07:51:43 pm »
We sell about 20- 30 used/ pre-owned hot tubs every year. We give away about 50 free ones every year. The used ones are our brand which we refurbish. New cover, all equipment tested and replaced if necessary with a warranty. The free ones range from shells only, to other brands, and conditions- mostly taken on trade or removed through our service dept.
The pre-owned ones are great and get people into reliable hot water for $1,500+. I had a pre-owned 1993 sovereign Hot spring at my last house. It's still there getting hammered on by the homeowner.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 08:49:10 pm »
Call the local tub shop(s), maybe you can find the original dealer and get some "professional" information on the tub....like if they ever had to service it, when it was originally delivered, etc...I'm not sure how much info they can give out, but it's worth a try, right?  :-?
RIP C-Rod

brentp

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
Thanks for all the info so far.

I now know that the unit was installed in July of '03.  Still don't know the exact model year, . . . but from the description (number of pumps) and review of the Artesian owners manuals on-line, . . . I know it is no older than a 2003 model (unfortunately they linked the '03 manual to the '02 *.pdf file so it is hard to tell).  

Is it possible that is could be a 2004?  Does anyone know when Artesian switch from 2 pumps to 3 and added 24/7 circ pump to the Gold series?  On-line it appears to have occured from 2003 to 2004, . . . but I'm not sure because as stated above the '03 spec is linked to the '02 document (maybe there was no change from '02 to '03?).  It doesn't really matter, as long as it is the 3 pump model with 24/7 circ pump - I'm good.

Anyway, I will be going to take a look this weekend, . . . so wish me luck.  I think the seller really wants this unit off his new property before the freezing weather sets in so hopefully he is willing to let this go for a low price.  We'll see.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:47:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42