What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Help Finding Leak in Artesian Grand Cayman  (Read 5473 times)

Brookenstein

Need Help Finding Leak in Artesian Grand Cayman
« on: November 06, 2006, 03:20:59 pm »
My friends tub lost 4-6 inches of water overnight.  The drain is closed, not the problem.  They took off the panels, can't see any visible wet foam, any visible leak.  They bought this used 6 months ago, so no warranty.  Where do they start in looking for a leak?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Need Help Finding Leak in Artesian Grand Cayman
« on: November 06, 2006, 03:20:59 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Need Help Finding Leak in Artesian Grand Cayma
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:24:39 pm »
Turn it off and let it leak down. See how far it leaks down. Once it has quit leaking see whats at the water line, jets, filter.
Retired

George

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:26:40 pm »
They could drain the water and turn it up on its side and see where it is wet.

This is one disadvantage of a full foam tub, you just have to start digging into the foam.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 08:34:53 pm »
Have them check the electronics compartment, maybe the tubing to the ozonator (cracked) . I don't know if they have a circ pump but if they do it may have tubes going to the therapy pumps (mine does). They nay have a 3rd therapy pump under the filter, have them look at that.

I've read use food coloring to locate a leak.

Is it possble someone's messing with them? I would think that that much water would be a noticable wet area.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:35:39 pm »
They could drain the water and turn it up on its side and see where it is wet.

This is one disadvantage of a full foam tub, you just have to start digging into the foam.

You REALLY shouldn't go there!! ;)

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 08:37:15 pm »
Ok... couple things.

First, turns out this happened right after they drained and refilled.  I don't know if this is coincidence, but I find it interesting at the least.

Second, they turned it off and let it leak for a few hours... they believe it stopped.  Pulled off a couple panels (I was wrong they hadn't done that before) and nothing is wet.  Do they start digging towards the jet(s) in question?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:41:43 pm »
Did they forget to take a hose out?

I woudn't touch anything at this point because there are a lot of jets it could be. I definately would have them examine the hoses and such before digging into any foam ... but then again I'm not a spa tech.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 08:56:31 pm »
As far as I can remember no ozone, no circ pump.  There is a visible amount of water, but no visible area where it is coming from.  I guess she refilled on Tuesday and has been topping it off everyday since then, but then this morning had the huge drop off... before then it was say 2" a day.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 09:26:24 pm »
I just did my first drain and refill.  A few days beforehand, I was out with the leaf blower, cleaning things up, and noticed dampness by the drain hole cap.  Upon closer inspection, I also noticed actual  fresh, wet water--not old water from yesterday's soak.

I tightened up the drain cover and the leaking stopped--pavers dried out.

Then, when I got out my manual and read about how to drain, then actually undid the drain cap myself,  I realized that for the last 4 months, the drain valves on both the main drain and the secondary drain had been open the whole time.  I never knew  had drain valves as well!  One of the drain caps was closed up tight enough not to let any water out, but it looks like the main drain had been slowly leaking the whole time and I had just never noticed.
My main drain is pretty much right below where the filter area is, so I always figured that it was condensation dripping from just taking the cover off, splashing, putting chems in the filter basket, wet feet climbing in and out, etc.  

Now, I was only losing a couple inches a week, not a day, but I was sure surprised when I figured that out.

Maybe they forgot to tighten something simple like that!  The drain may be closed, but not the valve.

Hope all goes well.  :)

2005 HS Vanguard

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 09:31:07 pm »
I guess if it stopped leaking, the only thing to do is look and see where the waterline is as Tman said and get into the foam. I would examine the jets from inside the tub to see if anything can be seen then take a guess based on the waterline vs jet placement. The jets can be twisted off and maybe looking into the  jet will reveal something.

I have no other ideas and I agree that it's odd it happened right after dumping and refilling
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 09:31:32 pm by Vinny »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 05:27:59 am »
Ok... couple things.

First, turns out this happened right after they drained and refilled.  I don't know if this is coincidence, but I find it interesting at the least.

Second, they turned it off and let it leak for a few hours... they believe it stopped.  Pulled off a couple panels (I was wrong they hadn't done that before) and nothing is wet.  Do they start digging towards the jet(s) in question?

Look at the foundation around the tub. There must be dampness or water someplace if it is loosing that much water. Which side is it on? Get a flashlight and very closly inspect the equipment area. If it is only down a little bit and it has stopped that means it is by the most upper jets, good, there is very little foam between the outside and the leak. I am having a hard time with not having a wet floor so you at least know what side.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:39:45 am »
If the tub leaks down to a certain level than stops, then I'd suspect that anything above the waterline would be suspect- I'd start looking at that level.
 If it is potentially any number of jets located around the tub, I'd maybe start by carefully probing into the foam with something like a stiff wire- that might save them a lot of aggravation pulling foam unecessairly.  

Personally, if it was me, I'd probably call in a pro- they have techniques to locate leaks more efficiently than us untrained people.  If you get someone who works on that model spa, they might know of weak point to check first.

Plus, I've seen photos of foam removal- it's looks to be a pretty messy job!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:39:57 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »
If the tub leaks down to a certain level than stops, then I'd suspect that anything above the waterline would be suspect- I'd start looking at that level.
 If it is potentially any number of jets located around the tub, I'd maybe start by carefully probing into the foam with something like a stiff wire- that might save them a lot of aggravation pulling foam unecessairly.  

Personally, if it was me, I'd probably call in a pro- they have techniques to locate leaks more efficiently than us untrained people.  If you get someone who works on that model spa, they might know of weak point to check first.

Plus, I've seen photos of foam removal- it's looks to be a pretty messy job!

Once you start removing foam it actualy is quite easy if you find wet foam. It is a very messy project but not that difficult once you start removing foam. Again at the water line where it stops leaking. I believe all the sides come off that particular model so no need to fully drain it and tip it, unless it's down in the very bottom.

I to would call in a pro.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42