What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Decisions, Decisions  (Read 3349 times)

apple-picker

Decisions, Decisions
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:35:28 pm »
The wife and I are looking at buying our first spa. We have narrowed it down to two different manufactures.
1.  Caldera Utopia Geneva
2.  Catalina Santa Cruz
Only about $600 difference in price, both seem to be very compareable in jets and motors. The
Caldera has the continuous running pumps, water fall and lights.
I would appreciate any feed back bad or good on both of these spas.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Decisions, Decisions
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:35:28 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Decisions, Decisions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:13:59 pm »
Go with the Caldera   a much better built tub   and a lot more reliable company for product.

You dont want a tub where the warranty is pro-rated after the second year I believe
the third page of the warranty gives you 22 reasons y they wont honour your warranty.

only my educated opinion

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:16:31 pm »
apple-picker

Welcome to the forum

I would definetly go with the Caldera the Catalina has a prorated warranty.   Caldera hot tubs are made by the same company as Hot Springs and are very good tubs

Good luck with your search

Bullfrog 451

anne

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:34:28 pm »
Have you wet tested? I have heard A LOT better things about Caldera than Catalina, and I was really unimpressed with the Catalina tubs when I was shopping. I did not bother to test Catalina, but the Caldera also ended up uncomfortable for me. You should try them before you buy, regardless.
Dance like nobody's watching

apple-picker

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:41:51 pm »
Have not wet tested either spa, neither dealer had a wet one to try out. They had different models but were to small in the lounge seat (I'm 6'3). I would have liked to look at the Sun Dance but can't locate a dealer near by?
Thanks

tileman

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »
Hi AP,
Do not even consider purchasing before a wet test!
If those dealers don't allow one, move on to the next.
Where are you located and what other tubs were you considering?
I too am on the tall side (6'1''), and have been in both. I didn't like the Artesian because of the seating. Their too close together and aren't very easy to move around in. The Caldera was nice just overlooked them because of the dealer.
The two main things are wet test to find what's comfortable for you and find a dealer who you feel comfortable with. i.e. One who has been around awhile, has a good rep., isn't pushy, and doesn't bash other manufacturers.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 07:53:19 pm »
I'd go with the Caldera as well, very nice quality spas.

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:35:52 pm »
I just bought a Caldera Geneva and am very happy with it.  Reputable company and a solid tub.  Click on my name to the left here and take a look at my last 50 posts or so.  I asked lots of questions on Caldera and received lots of good advice.  Make sure you try before you buy!

Marc

Spaah

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 12:35:56 pm »
Three years ago I tested 12 different spa brands and my finalists were Caldera and Catalina. After wet testing both I bought a Catalina. Being 6' 4" tall I needed a deep spa and I liked Catalina's design and performance, especially the absence of diverter valves.

I have had absolutely no problems with my spa and highly recommend Catalina.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:36:29 pm by Spaah »

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 12:51:43 pm »
What Caldera did you sit in?  I can't believe the lounger was too small.  Usually, people find loungers too long for comfort.  I have sat in the Geneva and found it to be plenty big.  For my size, it was actually too long.  I can see it being too small if you were looking at the Kuaui, but the Geneva should fit someone your size quite nicely.

I also recommend Caldera over Catalina.  While you will get stories here and there of a satisfied owner, you will get a lot of stories of satisfied Caldera.  Just curious, where are you located?  Did you ask the dealer if he could fill one for you to wet test?

Good luck in your search.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 04:04:47 pm »
Hi, Apple-picker.

Insist on the wet test for your own peace of mind.  A good dealer will recognise the need and accomodate you. You wouldn't buy a car without a test-drive, would you? Lots of tubs compare well on paper (trust me-I was the research king for my recent first-tub purchase) but how they feel is the true measure of a tub.  

I'm sure that both Caldera and Catalina make good tubs; around here, Caldera's good reputation is pretty well-established.

Best of luck and keep us posted as to what you decide!
...because integrity's the key

apple-picker

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 10:38:41 pm »
More confused. I was in the Caldara Geneva lounge. My feet are over the two heel rests and up against the filter.Since then we have looked at a CalSpa Atlantis 63.
I hear alot of negative things about Cal's but I have to say we were impressed. It is larger than the Caldera and the owners seem very trust worthy.
So, I think were headed down that trail at this time.
We looked at Sundance,Caldera,Catalina,Clearwater and Jucuzza plus some brands I've never heard of.
Thanks for all the help.

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 10:51:41 pm »
Hey, in the words of Dr. Ruth,
"If it feels good, do it!"
...because integrity's the key

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:36 pm »
Hey, in the words of Dr. Ruth,
"If it feels good, do it!"

OK, look where that got President Clinton!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42