What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is the difference?  (Read 2221 times)

grumpy

What is the difference?
« on: November 02, 2006, 08:27:12 am »
What is the difference between chlorine, bromine, and dichlor? What are the pros and cons of each?  :-?

Hot Tub Forum

What is the difference?
« on: November 02, 2006, 08:27:12 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: What is the difference?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:35:58 am »
Oh Vinny!!!!!!!! where art thee

They are different types of water treatment chemicals. I use bromine.  Most people on this board prefer dichlor because they say it is odourless for one and two the chemical breaks down quickly so you are not soaking in a bath of chemicals.  The downfall in my opinion, is that you have more work to do to maintain water.

With the bromine, some argue that it has a distinct odour that is present on your skin when you get out.  I dont notice it, but alot do.  Second many people have been know to develop rashes as a result of using bromine.  I  have never seen this rash on anyone that has used my tub.  The upside is that it is fool proof.  You fill up your dispenser and shock once or twice a week.  

Dichlor is put in throughout the week to maintain sanatary levels where bromine is released constantly throughout the weeks.  I enjoy bromine because we go away alot and I find that if I fill my dispenser and a big shock before I leave then the tub is fine.

I know Docs website has a great article on dichlor if you are interested in that method.  What I would recommend is to do a water fill up with what the dealer recommends first.  If he says use bromine try it on start up.  If you dont like it or want to compare, then the next fill up try dichlor and compare the differences.  It is so personal, everyone can only offer suggestions, but ultimately it will be what works best for you.

Sorry, I am not so technical, and I may be wrong, so dont take this as gospel stuff here.

grumpy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:46:02 am »
 What I would recommend is to do a water fill up with what the dealer recommends first.  

Sorry, I am not so technical, and I may be wrong, so dont take this as gospel stuff here.
Thanks for your opinion. I am using what the dealer recommends and sold me with the tub Leisure time FREE (Biguanide sanitizer) and not having much luck. The water turns cloudy and foamy with the jets on and I have a greenish/blue sticky film at the water line. All this happens within 3 weeks of new water. So I am considering changing my sanitizer.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:13 am »
Dichlor (chlorine) and bromine. Unfortunately I don't have an article on Biguanides.  :'(
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:14:04 am »
I disagree with the comment about using the sanitizer that the dealer recommends. They are salesman, not chemical experts.
Do your homework and use the sanitizer that you feel comfortable with.

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:22:39 am »
Biguanides are the most difficult to control and to keep clear water. You have to keep an eye on it more.

Dichlor is a nice granular way to go but it's not as effective at higher pH ranges.

Bromine is more effective with a wider range of Ph, also combined bromine is still an effective sanitizer whereas combined chlorine is not

It's still your personal choice

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:25:29 am »
Dichlor is chlorine. Most people typically refer to "Chlorine" as what is used in swimming pools, and Dichlor as what is used for hot tubs.  However, it would be apprporpitate to say "Dichlor" and "Trichlor".

Dichlor and Trichlor  are both  forms of stabilized chlorine, and are both used to disinefect water. Dichlor is better suited for Hot tubs, while Trichlor is used for swimming pools. (Trichlor in a hot tub has low PH levels, and can damage the equipment. It should never be used in a hot tub).  

Bromine is a realtive to the chlorine products (they are all halogens) and can be used for water disinfection as well.  

For the layman, the differences are Dichlor comes in a granulated form and is added to the tub manually. (usally 1 teaspoon per user after using the tub)

Bromine is in tablet form and continulay added to the water via a feeder or float (some form of a canister with holes in it  either floating in the spa water or in line with the spa's plumbing) that allow the spa water to wash over it and mix the bromine and water togethor and kill the cooties).

Both Dichlor and Bromine, when used correctly are effecivtive at keeping the spa clean, and thier choice of use by folks usally comes down to personal preference, skin sensitiviy, and what the dealer set them up with.  Some tubs have a specific recepticle for bromine catriges. This is simpley a marketing device, as I think the tub  companies that make these units also have stock in the proprietary bromine catrdige company.  ;).  

Dichlor dissapates faster, which is desireable for some folks. Toss it in, kill the germs, and in a relativly short time (hours) the dichlor levels are significanlty lower. Many folks prefer this as it allows them to use the tub with clean water, and low levels of dichlor during actual use. This is the system that some companies tell you "Soak with no chemicals), as virtually no dichlor is present when you are in the water. It's  added when you get out.  fwiw, I use this method and like it.  

Bromine to be effective needs to have a consistent and constant level in the water to be effective (hence having it in a feeder /floater to constantly be added to the water). Many folks like this approach, because once the feed rates are set, they don't have to add it again on a per use basis like Dichlor.

I like Dichlor because it's added to the water based on how many folks used the tub, and dissapates quickly (not soaking in it.).  I don't like Bromine, as I don't like soaking in water with high concetrations of it, as it iratates my skin. However, there are folks who feel just the opposite, and it's a personal choice.

Regardless if  you use Bromine or Dichlor,  you will need to shock the water every once in awhile (every 7-10 days). Shocking burns off the the dead bacteria that Dichlor or Bromine killed, and frees up the the santizer to work more efficently.

There are reports that Ozone systems are slightly more efficent with Bromine, than with Dichlor, but it's my understanding, the difference is so negligable, it's not even an issue.

I hope that helps you understand, the very basic, layman's view.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:44:17 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:24:36 pm »
Sledjunkie, I just meant that if your dealer recommends trying bromine, then I would start with that.  The reason being is that they can help you with your issues in the beginning.  My dealer recommended bromine, and has digital machines to test water.  I just found it easier having support while learning about the tub.  As you go on, and become more confident with the tub you can go out and learn more and more.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:46 pm »
Sledjunkie, I just meant that if your dealer recommends trying bromine, then I would start with that.  The reason being is that they can help you with your issues in the beginning.  My dealer recommended bromine, and has digital machines to test water.  I just found it easier having support while learning about the tub.  As you go on, and become more confident with the tub you can go out and learn more and more.

Bosco, you're wasting your time.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:25:33 pm »
Drewster how so???  

I would like to try dichlor but I cant find it locally.  The chlorine used in my area is trichlor.  That is what arctic uses, and I have read not to.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 03:33:27 pm »
Drewster how so???  

Sled junkie refuses to belive that anyone involved in selling you a product or service has your best interests at heart. Trying to point out the benfits of having working with a local expert who is  trained in water care and has equipmet to test your water, just might be a good idea  and perhaps times saving too. it' s a futile attempt.

Theres a reason why no salesperson on this board will answer his questions. He basically belivers everyone is out to screw him.

I find it strange that he feels that someone can't sell you a product and it be a fair deal all around. It's must be a pretty frustrating and tireing way to be, and I think also refelcts on ones self. (as  in,  "why do you feel that way? Is it because that's what you would do?  IF not why do yuou belive the majority of others then would do it? " ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:35:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:15:52 pm »
I think Drewster pretty much wrapped it up. I would like to add that in my experience, and it could be just a local water thing. Bromine and MPS seem to drive down my PH twice as fast as Dichlor. And combined with a N2 cartridge and an O3 generator dichlor can be left out of your tub if your not using your tub for up to a week. But in order to go longer than a week (say your on vacation for 7-10 days) you will need to achieve a level of 10-15 PPM before you leave and turn down your temp to make your chlorine level stay longer. Or find someone to add some dichlor. Which usualy means letting them use your tub  :-/
Retired

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:07:51 pm »
Tman that is strange. Where I live bromine lowers my alk but my ph stays constant

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:21:35 pm »
i like bromine it is so easy.
yes you smell after you get out of the tub.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:29:17 pm »
Personally, I would only try bromine if I had an in line feeder. I have a dislike for floaters in the water - but it's my reason, nothing to do with performance.

Dichlor is easy to use but does require you to look at your tub every so often. It isn't as automatic as bromine but it is very effective. You don't have that chlorine smell if you keep the water properly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:29:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42