What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Change/Cold Weather  (Read 8234 times)

nicker

Water Change/Cold Weather
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:11:28 am »
Coming up on my first water change at the end of the month.  That will be my three month range.  I live in ontario and its starting to get cold here (earlly winter ??) Anyway I may try to hold off till the middle of november if I can.  My water is still clear and chemistry is very good.  What do most of you do in the winter for changes.  I know you should change the water at LEAST 3 times a year preferably 4 depending on use.   I will be looking at some time in February to do my second change and then it will be very cold here.   How do you all do it that live in cold climates?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Change/Cold Weather
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:11:28 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Water Change/Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:25:38 am »
I will be looking at some time in February to do my second change and then it will be very cold here.   How do you all do it that live in cold climates?

If you're sitting there in February and its been 4 months since your last water change but you're not having issues with your water quality then by all means, hold off awhile. The 4 month idea is a good rule of thumb though the reality is you may need to change the water at 2 months in some case and you may also be able to go 6 months in between changes at other times (depending on use, care, bather habits, water source, etc.).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 10:57:43 am »
It's not really a matter of time in number of months when you change the water although that rule of thumb is a good indicator, but moreso a need to change the water when chemicals, and testing tells you you need to change the water.  When the TDS is hovering around 1500 PPM  and no matter what amount of shock you put in the tub it still does'nt clear it up or the foam when you activate the jets make your tub look like a bubble bath, then it's time to change the water.  I live in Ottawa and I know the cold you are talking about.  Push it until the furthest yoy can get to like late November, You can still get a pretty warm day in mid to late November which would allow you to change the water.

Also, WmCall made an excellent suggestion a while back about February water cahnges.  If you end up in February having some water issues you can do a partial water change and not face the freezing of the tub during the process. IE.  remove by the bucket about 1/3 to 1/2 of the water and replace it with new water.  A tedious process or use a sump pump to drain and a hose from inside the house to refill.  That will extend the life of the water until you can do a full water change with more favourable weather.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:33:45 pm »
How's this for resurecting an old thread  :o

Anyone care to comment on when they plan water changes this winter?  (You warm climate types need not reply).

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:45:20 pm »
How's this for resurecting an old thread  :o

Anyone care to comment on when they plan water changes this winter?  (You warm climate types need not reply).

Here in MA, I plan on doing change out at the end of Nov. With a little bit of care this should take me to Mar.

I may have to do a partial change out after New Years Eve (I have a party and the tub gets used a bit more)
07 Caldera Geneva

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:18:15 pm »
I am in the middle of re-filling my tub as I type!  I hope to make it to a nice day above freezing in February.

I would also think about doing the partial water change if I had to, if conditions warranted it.
2005 HS Vanguard

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:49:55 pm »
Here in MA, I plan on doing change out at the end of Nov. With a little bit of care this should take me to Mar.

This is exactly how I do it every year.  Water change at end of November lasts until end of March/early April.  I find that winter tubbing is clean tubbing...not much falling from the air (except snow)..no leaves, pollen etc. to foul the water.  I swap out my filter at 1.5 months so I don't even have to clean that.  Nothing worse than cleaning a filter in the winter.

dkersten

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:51:20 pm »
I was just thinking about this this weekend.  Although my chems are all perfect still, and water is crystal clear, I am thinking that I might change water next weekend or weekend after, weather permitting.  I am only 2 months into the tub, but I dont want to be caught in freezing weather all winter with no opportunity to change the water if need be.  I figure that unless something goes drastically wrong, my usage wont change and my water should last 4-5 months with no problems.  I have had to tweak PH and alkalinity a couple times, but otherwise it has been smooth sailing.  We have really good water for starting out.

I figured a mid-november change will last til next spring, and we always get a decent weekend in March.  Thanks for the partial water change idea.. If things get bad this winter I can always do that.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:56:38 pm »

This is exactly how I do it every year.  Water change at end of November lasts until end of March/early April.  I find that winter tubbing is clean tubbing...not much falling from the air (except snow)..no leaves, pollen etc. to foul the water.  I swap out my filter at 1.5 months so I don't even have to clean that.  Nothing worse than cleaning a filter in the winter.

I clean my filters in the bath tub  using a hand held shower sprayer. Works great. Also have an extra filter to rotate in, so I can clean them at my leisure. ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:57:03 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 05:11:36 pm »
Hey nicker,

I too live in (SW)Ontario.  My tub arrived at my doorstep October 10th so I plan on an early dump, around 1st week of December then I'm good for the winter.  I'm very anal about my water chemistry.  

I check it atleast once a day sometimes twice  ::).  Anyhow after that I'm good for the season.  Get yours in before December and you'll be good to go!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:16:29 pm »
Nicker

We are in Southwestern Ontario also, I planned out my water changes so the next one will be due around the middle of December.  Its pretty normal to get some decent weather around here at that time, at least a few days in the 40's.   That should mean our next change would be due in March, when the weather is again in the 40's
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:16:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42