What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flaking of the filter  (Read 1943 times)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Flaking of the filter
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:27:20 am »
I have a new Niagara.  Delivered last week.  The water seems to be testing ok.  I needed to add some more water.  When I took out the filter to add the water I found that the filter seemed to be flaking off.  Does anyone have any ideas on this issue?

Original water was Off the charts PH, No alkalinity at all.  very low calcium.  I was able to get them all in line with in the first day with the exception of the calcium level.  It's still on the low side, even with a full bottle of calcium up (or whatever.)

Thanks

:-/

Hot Tub Forum

Flaking of the filter
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:27:20 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Flaking of the filter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:02:55 am »
Pete,

I've never heard of this (but I'm just a user, not a dealer). What is flaking off of the filter?  Is this a pleated filter? Are the fibers from the filter media comming off, or do you think it maybe an adhesive between the media and the filter end caps is failing?

Or could this be some chemical residue left on the filter that is drying and flacking off (like dry chlorine, or scale)? I've never heard of this, an you have my curiosity up.  Do you have excesively hard water?
07 Caldera Geneva

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
It is a pleated filter.  It is definetly coming from the pleats.  The water has been in the tub for less then a week.   The calcium is very low....soft water and I have added the calcium.  It has yet to get into a "good" test strip range.

Called the dealer.  They are sending out a new filter.  I will follow up for you guys.

HTBP

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:02:11 pm »
UPDATE:
Dealer called back and said that it was probably stuff from the manufacturing of the tub in the filter and that I should rinse it out and it will be fine.....I don't think so

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:28:35 pm »
Sounds very plausible.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:20:14 pm »
Called the manufacturer and they say that after testing, up to 4 times, they put a new filter in when the unit ships.  They did not think anything from manufacturing could be in there.  I have a conference call with them later when I return home.  We are going to go the rough the chemicals and what the stuff looks like.
Update tomorrow. :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:20:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42